IDK, Toys R Us feels like a deadzone between 20th and the downtown. A better connection through the mall is a plus, but the mall isn't open 24/7 and there is still a large parking lot between the corner of 20th and Idylwyld. I would have loved an arena that interacted with 20th like Fenway park in Boston - ever since I watched The Town I can't help but think every stadium should interact with the neighbourhood like Fenway.
What would be a good fit in the Toys R Us lot? Wedged between two freeway ramps with a grade change that makes a connection to the river difficult, I think that lot is a poor fit for most land uses.
As for the property acquisition, I couldn't help but notice this paragraph:
Quote:
NEXT STEPS
If this acquisition is approved, plans will be finalized for the relocation of City work groups to 145 1st Avenue, and associated lease agreements will be terminated to correspond with relocation timelines. Modest renovations will be undertaken to update the space and prepare it for City occupancy, including upgrades to the security features of the property.
|
Is the city covering their tracks so investigators like Echoes don't figure out the secret before an announcement is made? In my book, building a downtown arena would not qualify as "modest upgrades".