HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2161  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 7:56 PM
davidberko davidberko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Sarcasm noted. But it's still a thing, and has been a thing for a couple of years now. Cars exist, and (whether gas or electric) will exist. People drive them. Not building enough infrastructure to deal with that is bad planning. In my experience being both a ped and a driver, the 4 way stops don't really slow the traffic -- they encourage rolling stops and quick accelerations. At least a traffic light forces a driver to stop fully and wait a beat or more before continuing on. The Domain doesn't need on at every corner, but I can think of one or two places it improve life greatly.
I actually wasn't trying to come off as sarcastic. I apologize. And I agree. Four ways encourage rolling stops and people are impatient for their turn at those and pull some doozies
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2162  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 8:05 PM
mtb_jeremy mtb_jeremy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 70
It is the intersections with the greatest distance between cars arriving to the stop (line) that have the most problem. People have trouble judging when the other person "stopped" versus when that person considers their stopping point.

Esperanza Crossing and Alterra Pkwy is a good example.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2163  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 8:15 PM
eskimo33 eskimo33 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: 9th Rock from the Sun
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidberko View Post
Ok, so maybe Austin should add lights at domain Blvd and domain drive, rock rose and esperanza, and palm way and rock rose. And century oaks terrace and esperanza. Probably a few more intersections
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, I thought all streets in the Domain were private streets not public/city owned. (I base this on the street signs being blue and not green).
If so, is it up to the Domain to take accountability for the traffic problems and potential solutions?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2164  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 8:29 PM
davidberko davidberko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo33 View Post
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, I thought all streets in the Domain were private streets not public/city owned. (I base this on the street signs being blue and not green).
If so, is it up to the Domain to take accountability for the traffic problems and potential solutions?
I think you're correct. It'd be up to Simon Property Group most likely
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2165  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 8:33 PM
Novacek Novacek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo33 View Post
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, I thought all streets in the Domain were private streets not public/city owned. (I base this on the street signs being blue and not green).
If so, is it up to the Domain to take accountability for the traffic problems and potential solutions?
Right, its one of the many things the city learned from the Domain and improved on for the North Burnet Gateway district master plan. Compare with the Broadmoor development. There's still some private streets, but the main thoroughfare through will be a public street deeded to the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2166  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 8:40 PM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidberko View Post
I actually wasn't trying to come off as sarcastic. I apologize. And I agree. Four ways encourage rolling stops and people are impatient for their turn at those and pull some doozies
No need to apologize. This is the internet -- EVERYONE sounds sarcastic!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2167  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 9:56 PM
davidberko davidberko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
No need to apologize. This is the internet -- EVERYONE sounds sarcastic!
thanks for being gracious. I get lazy with my online communication sometimes. I blame it on the texting culture. I was a communications major in college years back so no excuse for me! Derp, derp
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2168  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 10:12 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,832
At the next PC meeting, a zoning change request is on the agenda for the ~6 acre mixed use (office/residential/hotel) Verde Square project next to Q2 stadium. The ZC would allow for 308' buildings.

http://austintexas.gov/cityclerk/boards_commissions/meetings/40_1.htm

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2169  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 1:22 PM
ahealy's Avatar
ahealy ahealy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio / Austin
Posts: 2,845
Bring on the high rise dev to domain!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2170  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 1:29 PM
Novacek Novacek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
At the next PC meeting, a zoning change request is on the agenda for the ~6 acre mixed use (office/residential/hotel) Verde Square project next to Q2 stadium. The ZC would allow for 308' buildings.

http://austintexas.gov/cityclerk/boards_commissions/meetings/40_1.htm

It's a little disappointing that they're going for CMU-Gateway instead of TOD-Gateway.

TODG would allow for a bit more height, but also if I recall, CMUG has some slight regulation changes to be a bit more car-centric.

But maybe they're going this way so that they don't have to wait on the McKalla station (arguing location on the Burnet/Brake intersection and accessibility to the 803, equivalent to the Domain south end's CMUG). That way they don't have to be like Broadmoor (which got the rezoning, but couldn't actually make use of the new entitlements initially).

It's the same 8:1 FAR either way, so it doesn't make too much of a difference in practice.

edit/add: here it is, there's no parking max for CMUG.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=293214

They may explicitly be planning to exploit that for "off-site" stadium parking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2171  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 3:26 PM
drummer drummer is offline
World Traveler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin metro area
Posts: 4,811
This whole area is about to explode in new ways. Excited to see it, and to Novacek's and others' points, it needs to be done the right way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2172  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 9:52 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
I'm still waiting for a 400 footer up there...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2173  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2021, 6:01 PM
GoldenBoot's Avatar
GoldenBoot GoldenBoot is offline
Member since 2001
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Terra Firma
Posts: 3,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
At the next PC meeting, a zoning change request is on the agenda for the ~6 acre mixed use (office/residential/hotel) Verde Square project next to Q2 stadium. The ZC would allow for 308' buildings.

http://austintexas.gov/cityclerk/boards_commissions/meetings/40_1.htm

Well...shoot. There goes Orange Lot #2 (at least during construction).

In all seriousness...bring on that 300+ footer! And, yes. A 400+ footer would be nice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2174  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2021, 6:21 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,832
I didn't realize until I read through the PC backup file that Verde Square is being developed by Precourt.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2175  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 11:16 PM
SproutingTowers's Avatar
SproutingTowers SproutingTowers is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 524
Domain Tower 2

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2176  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 11:49 PM
Mopacs's Avatar
Mopacs Mopacs is offline
Austinite
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Austin.TX.USA
Posts: 4,624
Yesterday from Mopac-183N Flyover





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2177  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 6:14 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
Nice. Domain 9 crane, I'm guessing?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2178  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 1:48 PM
mtb_jeremy mtb_jeremy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 70
This morning:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2179  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 2:09 PM
lebull lebull is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_jeremy View Post
This morning:

They went from starting site work to pouring concrete in about a month. I'm guessing that a lot of stuff had already been laid out from from the construction of the other buildings, but it's incredible how fast that started up.

It's about the same amount of time it took to put 4 window panes up on T2
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2180  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 4:07 PM
IluvATX IluvATX is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Anchorage-Austin-Anchorage-Austin and so forth...
Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_jeremy View Post
This morning:
Domain 9

Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:36 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.