HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 6:21 PM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 8,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
The 2020 multiracial boom is pretty much a Hispanic phenomenon. I guess they've changed the Census forms, and Hispanic were induced from check to "Multiracial" instead of "White".
Not necessarly.

My partner, who is white... was a total towhead as a kid, blond (now graying hair like me hehe), blue eyes, sunburns easily... both his parents were blond/blue-eyed... after doing his 23andme a few years ago, found out he has some Sub-Saharan African/Angolan and Congolese ancestry. He's now connected with other African-Americans that he shares a common but yet unknown ancestors with. It's all so fascinating, we think it's really cool.

So on this census, he put down that he's multi-racial. After all, in the US, "traditionally," even if you had a few drops of black in you, you were considered black/not considered white. It was a matter of trying to pass as white during the Jim Crow era.

I'm sure that there are probably other white people who've done the same... or don't accept their DNA ancestry and probably want to hide that they're part black or anything else.

Myself, through 23andme, I found out that I'm part south Indian/Sri Lankan (I identify as Filipino-American), which surprised me and still fascinates me. I wasn't surprised to find out I have some Chinese ancestry... now I like to joke that I'm descended from Hakka pirates. But I guess that still makes me Asian, which is what I checked off on the census (and Filipino).
__________________
"I guess the only time people think about injustice is when it happens to them."

~ Charles Bukowski
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.