HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #17661  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 3:41 PM
905er's Avatar
905er 905er is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,417
That Edmonton pic is an absolute stunner!!.. It's a shame there's an election sign on that bike though.. but nevertheless, great publicity shot for that candidate.
     
     
  #17662  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 3:44 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post

Sunset Over Hamilton, taken by DroneFate, posted by TourismHamilton, on Twitter
Nice shot
     
     
  #17663  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 3:44 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
That Edmonton pic is an absolute stunner!!.. It's a shame there's an election sign on that bike though.. but nevertheless, great publicity shot for that candidate.
A shame? To me that adds to it! It's silly, quirky, and unexpected.
     
     
  #17664  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 5:15 PM
Pavlov's Avatar
Pavlov Pavlov is offline
Khan
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I probably shouldn't have used the word "chaotic." What I'm getting at is the wide range of styles in Toronto that bump up against each other due to how the city is evolving. Developers aren't turning empty fields into streets and streets of brownstone rowhouses like in Brooklyn 150 years ago, but are transforming Toronto by means of infill projects on a scale, and with an impact, that I don't think is happening anywhere else.

As much as Hong Kong is a teeming metropolis, there's not a whole lot of variety going on here (don't mean that as a value judgment).


https://www.google.ca/maps/@22.3185661,114.16808,570a,35y,39.25t/data=!3m1!1e3
Ah, I see understand what you're saying now. Makes sense.
     
     
  #17665  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 5:55 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
I agree that Toronto sorely lacks in prewar and classical midrise/highrise. And as a resident and classic architecture fan, Im very critical in this regard.

Although I would also argue that Toronto actually has the edge in sheer number of attractive upscale detached SFH inner-suburban neighbourhoods and punches above its weight in this regard, especially considering it was built so much later than Montreal and Brooklyn.
Have you been in Westmount, Outremont, Ville Mont-Royal, NDG ? The wealth of upscale sfh in these places is overwhelming. They were all build when Montreal was still the largest city in the country and it shows.
     
     
  #17666  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 12:50 AM
Monolith's Avatar
Monolith Monolith is offline
Pacific Breeze
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southwestern British Columbia
Posts: 1,234
     
     
  #17667  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 1:17 AM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
I wonder how long those rail loines will stay as is. They sit on some of the priciest reaestate in the country.
     
     
  #17668  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 3:11 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is online now
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,757
They may be buried, and operate underground in the distant future (that little downtown stretch of track), but they aren't going anywhere. That section of the city is an extremely busy part of the Port of Vancouver, and generates way more money than any land sale ever would.
     
     
  #17669  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 4:13 AM
Monolith's Avatar
Monolith Monolith is offline
Pacific Breeze
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southwestern British Columbia
Posts: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I wonder how long those rail loines will stay as is. They sit on some of the priciest reaestate in the country.
What giallo said is so true. Also, the port is in the process of expanding the nearby terminal.
     
     
  #17670  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 4:32 AM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,149
It will most certainly be built over and upon.
     
     
  #17671  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 7:05 AM
craner's Avatar
craner craner is offline
Go Tall or Go Home
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,426
^ With some 700 footers (at least) I hope. Van skyline could really use some taller towers.
     
     
  #17672  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 7:17 AM
TallBob TallBob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,135
Still waiting someday for Calgay to get a 900 footer.... might be a few years and it probably won't be an Office tower, unfortunately.
     
     
  #17673  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 10:27 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is online now
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
^ With some 700 footers (at least) I hope. Van skyline could really use some taller towers.
View cones are an almost unshakeable force at this point in time in downtown Vancouver. The cones are like Vancouver's version of the 2nd amendment.

I could happen, but I've given up hope. The suburbs are where all the height is going.
     
     
  #17674  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 4:47 PM
itom 987's Avatar
itom 987 itom 987 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,086
If anyone showed me this photo in 2005 I would have had a hard time believing it was Edmonton.

Morning Ride by wanted to say hello, on Flickr
     
     
  #17675  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 7:47 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842



By me
     
     
  #17676  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 2:49 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
     
     
  #17677  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:47 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
905 sprawl on the north edges of the respective cities is the most chaotic thing happening in Toronto. High rises, stacked townhouses, midrises thrown around big box malls and fairly new tract subdivisions. Oshawa's tallest building is as close to farmland and as far away from the downtown as one can get.

See if it continues with a pro development province with eyes on the greenbelt
     
     
  #17678  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 9:22 PM
yaletown_fella yaletown_fella is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,423
I do suspect the anti sprawl legislation was largely greenwashing to help further inflate the value of land of homeowners across the GTA through artificial scarcity. The artificial scarcity is also what skyrocketed the value of condos, because thats the vast majority of whats available in a high demand market. Entities like TREB have a lot of lobbying power. Ha there been a large supply of newly built SFH I suspect that even condos in the 416 would be a lot more reasonably priced.

Of course, the biggest problem is cheap money printing and low rates, but the artificial scarcity is a big reason why a condo in Oshawa is so much pricier than a condo in Buffalo.
     
     
  #17679  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 1:58 AM
isaidso isaidso is offline
North of Gilead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North of Gilead
Posts: 11,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Another factor is the nature of the protected views themselves - they're public views looking downward from a hill that sits above Downtown. Contrast this with somewhere like Vancouver (protected public views, but mostly looking upward toward the mountains) or San Francisco (higher prioritization of downward/outward views from private spaces, ie. from inside buildings, which is conspicuously not-a-consideration here). The result in Halifax has been a lot of wide, squat towers at the bottom of a hill where a lot of other cities' view priorities would tend to encourage the opposite. Although there's a certain irony that so many buildings here have ended up so wide, ostensibly to protect views

I have mixed feelings about the Maritime Centre itself and it tends to look better from some angles than others. It contrasts nicely with the Maple, although for a long time it just stood resolutely on its own at that end of Downtown, giving a stark "edge of the continent" atmosphere that's less pronounced these days. I'm curious to see if it ends up getting fully reclad/refreshed.
I'd rather they just took the sucker down. The proportions and scale are the issue. A re-clad won't fix that. The Maritime Centre, Scotia Square, and those 70s apartment blocks over looking the naval shipyards are the 3 big developments Halifax got wrong.
     
     
  #17680  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 2:22 AM
isaidso isaidso is offline
North of Gilead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North of Gilead
Posts: 11,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I probably shouldn't have used the word "chaotic." What I'm getting at is the wide range of styles in Toronto that bump up against each other due to how the city is evolving. Developers aren't turning empty fields into streets and streets of brownstone rowhouses like in Brooklyn 150 years ago, but are transforming Toronto by means of infill projects on a scale, and with an impact, that I don't think is happening anywhere else.

As much as Hong Kong is a teeming metropolis, there's not a whole lot of variety going on here (don't mean that as a value judgment).
I used to find the jumbled collision of architecture, scale, and quality jarring but my views have done a complete 180 the last 20 years. I now view it as Toronto's trump card. It might look messy and/or ugly compared to Haussmann's Paris but I've come to prefer it. In Toronto you never know what's around the next corner. Some times it's ugly but it's never dull. To my shock, I started finding Paris predictable and the repetitiveness almost insipid by Day 3.

When you become accustomed to a certain level of 'chaos' (for lack of a better word) you find anything less a tad boring. Some may think it mad to prefer Toronto to Paris .....but I do.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:43 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.