HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #181  
Old Posted May 14, 2021, 4:04 AM
DancingDuck DancingDuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 370
A little TLC on the bricks would have made a big difference, but still looks leagues better than how it did before. I'm still not entirely sold on the balconies though, the bare grey concrete really stands out...

Went past there the other day and it looked like there was either a pile driver or larger drilling machine on the parking lot to the south. There's been no renderings or much in the way of offial information about this project, but I think someone on here mentioned a parking structure was part of this? Perhaps that is starting now that renos on the building itself are finishing up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #182  
Old Posted May 14, 2021, 1:24 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,933
^^^Parkade
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #183  
Old Posted May 14, 2021, 1:32 PM
optimusREIM's Avatar
optimusREIM optimusREIM is offline
There is always a way
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^Parkade
Is it going to be a bland front and create a wall on the street, or are they planning on having a CRU or two?
__________________
"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."
Federalist #10, James Madison
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #184  
Old Posted May 14, 2021, 1:38 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,933
I haven't seen a render of the parkade, so I am not sure.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #185  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 5:41 PM
3de14eec6a 3de14eec6a is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 206
Finally starting on the west side.
Also, the balcony railings look to be done on the east. I thought someone had already snapped a pic so I didn't bother. May next time I'm out by foot.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #186  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 2:41 PM
Wpg_Guy's Avatar
Wpg_Guy Wpg_Guy is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 8,483
__________________
Winnipeg Act II - April 2024

Winnipeg Developments

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #187  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 5:40 PM
prairiedog007's Avatar
prairiedog007 prairiedog007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 167
What an amazing view point, thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #188  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 8:21 PM
sleepyeyed sleepyeyed is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 93
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #189  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 8:28 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,076
they need to make an actual enforceable bylaw that says no parkades fronting sidewalks in downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #190  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 8:46 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
That's a pretty big parkade. I wonder if it's just for residents of the building or are they intending to support any other buildings/developments with it?

I know no one loves parkades but it's hard to complain about this one given that there has been a vacant lot next door for as far back as I can remember. Anything is an improvement over that, and at least this provides an amenity that might make the renovation viable. More importantly, it includes CRUs on the main floor. That block of Smith from York to St. Mary could end up being one of the only ones downtown lined with retail businesses and restaurants from one end to the other.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #191  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 9:46 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Zoom in on the parkade render - the main floor is parking with a chain link fence in front of it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #192  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 10:50 PM
peg's Avatar
peg peg is offline
keep the good times going
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Downtown Winnipeg
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Zoom in on the parkade render - the main floor is parking with a chain link fence in front of it.
Ugh... are there not rules against this?

I remember there being a discussion about this on another thread.

I looked at the downtown Winnipeg zoning by-law and I believe there is a provision against that, although I could definitely be misinterpreting.

Section 230(1.5) (b):

enclosed parking is separated from public right-of-ways (other than back lanes)
by other land uses, such as residential or commercial space.


Page 27 of the Downtown Winnipeg zoning by-law.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #193  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 10:55 PM
peg's Avatar
peg peg is offline
keep the good times going
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Downtown Winnipeg
Posts: 622



Full image. Don't get me wrong, I do like how it fills the street and adds to the street edge. But I would 100% prefer a usable space on the street edge over parking with nice bushes. Especially considering how wide that lot is.

Last edited by peg; Jul 29, 2021 at 5:00 PM. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #194  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 1:39 AM
3de14eec6a 3de14eec6a is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 206
lol at the scale of the balconies in that render. They're maybe 1/3 of that
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #195  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 12:23 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Zoom in on the parkade render - the main floor is parking with a chain link fence in front of it.
Ouch. The way that space is lit in the rendering I thought it was showing CRUs. That is a bit disappointing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #196  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 4:35 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Anyone know if it’s been approved yet? Can we still write to councillors to oppose?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #197  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 4:39 PM
Wigglez's Avatar
Wigglez Wigglez is offline
Source?
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 662
I appreciate that the plants in front of the chain-link fence look like unaddressed weeds growing out of control. At least they're honest!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #198  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 6:45 PM
EdwardTH EdwardTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Ouch. The way that space is lit in the rendering I thought it was showing CRUs. That is a bit disappointing.
I mean ultimately this project still adds 1 CRU to the block vs what was there before. I know we'd all love to see more streetfront units activated downtown, but in the other threads we're also discussing the dire state of businesses downtown. Who's gonna fill all these new CRUs? Is there anything in that unit across the street at 160 Smith yet? I don't see the case to throw a CRU into a parkade like this when it's hard enough to keep the units we already have filled, it will just have a "For Lease" sign on it for years. Get this built, and then maybe in 5 years the corner property to the north can be developed with CRUs if there is demand.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #199  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 1:10 PM
davequanbury davequanbury is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
I mean ultimately this project still adds 1 CRU to the block vs what was there before. I know we'd all love to see more streetfront units activated downtown, but in the other threads we're also discussing the dire state of businesses downtown. Who's gonna fill all these new CRUs? Is there anything in that unit across the street at 160 Smith yet? I don't see the case to throw a CRU into a parkade like this when it's hard enough to keep the units we already have filled, it will just have a "For Lease" sign on it for years. Get this built, and then maybe in 5 years the corner property to the north can be developed with CRUs if there is demand.
I appreciate your realism here, but even a temporarily empty CRU is better than a parkade for the rest of time. Once you build the parkade without main floor CRUs, you're stuck with it that way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #200  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 1:32 PM
3de14eec6a 3de14eec6a is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Who's gonna fill all these new CRUs? Is there anything in that unit across the street at 160 Smith yet?
Nope, 160 still has two empty CRUs - I have no idea how they plan to fill the windowless corner unit. Someone else mentioned that it's a useless space.

190 just fit up their northmost unit, though at half the size of what it was. So they just have one small space left unused along Smith.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:10 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.