HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1241  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 5:35 AM
ShavedParmesanCheese's Avatar
ShavedParmesanCheese ShavedParmesanCheese is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Ontario
Posts: 369
It would be foolish to not include any weekend service in the middle of summer. Though, they might just have the Niagara excursions stop here and call it at that.
__________________
Ask me about my radioactive materials
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1242  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 9:12 AM
woreg75 woreg75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 110
In no way could I remove the thunder from a big wig's announcement slated for tomorrow, that could be the end of my job. Media department for a reason.. lol

I would love to share what I see. I didn't realise any changes as I didn't really examine what I'll be bidding on until it was mentioned here on the forum, making me open up my bid package and looking for myself.

I first said to myself, "that's not true", completely in negative mode. We in Hamilton are used to being let down.
My "I would know" sorta attitude flew out making me open up my mini book of a stapled group of papers...
...and then I saw it in the fine details..
Ahhhh!

I think we should be optimistic for Hamilton on this one. Things are looking busier in the very near future for the north end.

One thing that I can tell you.
Even yesterday, a very full train goes absolutely quiet once we turn into Hamilton from the junction over looking the harbour. I think Hamilton's secret is getting out at how beautiful our waterfront is, and how interesting our skyline seems with the cranes, along with the media hype.
People want to explore it for sure... I hear often, how do we get here? From people coming from all over the GTA going to the Niagara region.
It's a no-brainer, if you provide it... They will come.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1243  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 11:14 PM
HamiltonBoyInToronto HamiltonBoyInToronto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 484
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by woreg75 View Post
In no way could I remove the thunder from a big wig's announcement slated for tomorrow, that could be the end of my job. Media department for a reason.. lol

I would love to share what I see. I didn't realise any changes as I didn't really examine what I'll be bidding on until it was mentioned here on the forum, making me open up my bid package and looking for myself.

I first said to myself, "that's not true", completely in negative mode. We in Hamilton are used to being let down.
My "I would know" sorta attitude flew out making me open up my mini book of a stapled group of papers...
...and then I saw it in the fine details..
Ahhhh!

I think we should be optimistic for Hamilton on this one. Things are looking busier in the very near future for the north end.

One thing that I can tell you.
Even yesterday, a very full train goes absolutely quiet once we turn into Hamilton from the junction over looking the harbour. I think Hamilton's secret is getting out at how beautiful our waterfront is, and how interesting our skyline seems with the cranes, along with the media hype.
People want to explore it for sure... I hear often, how do we get here? From people coming from all over the GTA going to the Niagara region.
It's a no-brainer, if you provide it... They will come.
1000% all of this !!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1244  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 12:01 AM
ShavedParmesanCheese's Avatar
ShavedParmesanCheese ShavedParmesanCheese is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Ontario
Posts: 369
I would love to hear about the info you're privy to Woreg75 After the official announcement, of course.
__________________
Ask me about my radioactive materials
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1245  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 2:48 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,887
Hourly service on weekends and weekdays is officially starting to West Harbour GO on August 7. Runs 5am-10pm approximately. 1:17 travel time to Toronto.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1246  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 3:06 PM
JakeLRS's Avatar
JakeLRS JakeLRS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Hourly service on weekends and weekdays is officially starting to West Harbour GO on August 7. Runs 5am-10pm approximately. 1:17 travel time to Toronto.
Well 🞵🞵🞵🞵. This doesn’t help me if I’m trying to get home from a weekday raptor or blue jays game.

Useful during day games tho
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1247  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 3:09 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Well 🞵🞵🞵🞵. This doesn’t help me if I’m trying to get home from a weekday raptor or blue jays game.

Useful during day games tho
Schedule is here:

https://www.gotransit.com/static_files/g...ing/FullSchedules/FS07082021/Table10.pdf

departures from Toronto run much later than departures from Hamilton - last Toronto departure leaves at 11:45pm and arrives at West Harbour at 1:03 am during the week, on weekends the latest departure is 12:45am, arriving at 2:03am at West Harbour.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1248  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 3:40 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 7,493
Great news. Here is CBC's story about it.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/all-day-go-trains-1.6117376

Bratina posted about it yesterday anyway on his Facebook account. Since advance news usually slips out anonymously, this is probably a little F-U to his political colleagues
https://www.facebook.com/BratinaHESC/

I really hope they don't stop the rush-hour trains downtown, but I doubt they will if LRT does go through (and A-Line service improves). I imagine the express buses will be cut back though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1249  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 3:48 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Great news. Here is CBC's story about it.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/all-day-go-trains-1.6117376

Bratina posted about it yesterday anyway on his Facebook account. Since advance news usually slips out anonymously, this is probably a little F-U to his political colleagues
https://www.facebook.com/BratinaHESC/

I really hope they don't stop the rush-hour trains downtown, but I doubt they will if LRT does go through (and A-Line service improves). I imagine the express buses will be cut back though.
As a part of the announcement the peak hour trains to Hamilton Centre GO are increasing back to 4 trains each way too, so those definitely aren't going anywhere.

Doesn't look like the express bus is seeing any service changes either, though it will be interesting to see if it ever returns to it's full pre-covid schedule, it's still running on only hourly frequencies.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1250  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 3:49 PM
craftbeerdad's Avatar
craftbeerdad craftbeerdad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LC <|> HMLTN
Posts: 507
We're like Pinocchio! Thanks Geppetto.

Only took six years for that station to get all day service.

Now I need to move away from the Hamilton GO Centre and closer to West Harbour haha.

In all seriousness, this is tremendous news for the city and I love taking the first afternoon train (when work allows) to West Harbour (arrives shortly after 5pm) and seeing that view coming around the bend (and RBG). With all the activity construction wise and the Waterfront development (hopefully new boardwalk by summer's end), this should get people in the GTA excited to visit our city!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1251  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 3:51 PM
RaginRonic RaginRonic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 401
I found this tweet...

https://twitter.com/jddneary/status/1419673850711887876

Quote:
Time to have all of the mountain buses terminate at West Harbour, and to turn James into a transit corridor with dedicated lanes (like King St in Toronto) from the CN tracks to the escarpment.
I like the idea of the buses extending to the West Harbour GO. It'd probably be a good excuse to have all the Upper buses timetables extended as well.

And with the expansion of GO Train services at West Harbour, this is likely to help along the thought of retiring the 'GTA' designation in favor of the 'GTHA' acronym permanently replacing the former.

=)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1252  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 4:28 PM
thistleclub thistleclub is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,729
Quote:
Time to have all of the mountain buses terminate at West Harbour, and to turn James into a transit corridor with dedicated lanes (like King St in Toronto) from the CN tracks to the escarpment.
Kind of like how the 1 King, 2 Barton and 3 Cannon have bays at the Hamilton GO Centre, only this would be for routes 20-27 and 33-35, with TOL on James from West Harbour to St. Joe's (with James Mountain Road dedicated to A-Line BRT).

Bring it on!
__________________
"Where architectural imagination is absent, the case is hopeless." - Louis Sullivan
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1253  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 4:39 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 7,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
I like the idea of the buses extending to the West Harbour GO. It'd probably be a good excuse to have all the Upper buses timetables extended as well.

And with the expansion of GO Train services at West Harbour, this is likely to help along the thought of retiring the 'GTA' designation in favor of the 'GTHA' acronym permanently replacing the former.

=)
Or run the A-line at 10 minute intervals instead of 20, and let it run later in the evenings and on weekends and holidays. Ensure there are good connections to it from many mountain routes, though there may be a few that should go direct to the station depending on demand.

For the LRT, improved A-Line, and other future elements of the BLAST plan to best serve the city, the HSR will have to start taking more of a network approach to its route system. There may be more transfers, but more efficiency in bus passenger travel and operational efficiencies if there are fewer mountain routes that terminate downtown... though expect mountain councillors to howl about that idea.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1254  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 5:52 PM
craftbeerdad's Avatar
craftbeerdad craftbeerdad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LC <|> HMLTN
Posts: 507
Metrolinx Blog Post: here with more details about the totality of the additions.

Pretty sure Hamilton GO Centre had four trains in the morning Eastbound(Pre-COVID)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1255  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 6:42 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Metrolinx Blog Post: here with more details about the totality of the additions.

Pretty sure Hamilton GO Centre had four trains in the morning Eastbound(Pre-COVID)
pre-covid service levels were 4 peak trains out of West Harbour and Hamilton Centre, each, so yes. This is simply restoring previous service levels there. I don't believe Metrolinx has any plans for actual increases to Hamilton Centre service levels any time soon either.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1256  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 6:59 PM
JoeyColeman JoeyColeman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
As a part of the announcement the peak hour trains to Hamilton Centre GO are increasing back to 4 trains each way too, so those definitely aren't going anywhere.

Doesn't look like the express bus is seeing any service changes either, though it will be interesting to see if it ever returns to it's full pre-covid schedule, it's still running on only hourly frequencies.
Bus scheduling involves labour contract rules. Thus, changes to buses follow the periods of work signing by bus operators. We'll see what post-Labour Day schedules bring.
__________________
www.thepublicrecord.ca
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1257  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 7:04 PM
JoeyColeman JoeyColeman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Posts: 135
Hunter Street will effectively remain rush-hour only for trains. Those four trainsets which are stored in Hamilton are critical to Lakeshore West operations, especially as capacity is limited to get trains out of Etobicoke to Hamilton in the morning.
Thus, those four trains out will remain indefinitely.
__________________
www.thepublicrecord.ca
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1258  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 7:05 PM
craftbeerdad's Avatar
craftbeerdad craftbeerdad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LC <|> HMLTN
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
pre-covid service levels were 4 peak trains out of West Harbour and Hamilton Centre, each, so yes. This is simply restoring previous service levels there. I don't believe Metrolinx has any plans for actual increases to Hamilton Centre service levels any time soon either.
They're restoring half of the four, if you read the release. So not simply restoring.

As for future service levels on Hamilton Centre, that's not likely as it's CP's line and they're less friendly partners with Metrolinx. That's why the Milton line faces headwinds with future operational growth.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1259  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 8:26 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 7,493
It's a shame the Hunter St. tunnel wasn't double tracked when it was built. That's one of CP's key issues with allowing more passenger trains downtown.

And there's only so much space for track, in a corridor that's very busy and has limited capacity where the lines meet. I recall reading somewhere that Bayview Junction would need some major work -- I think it mentioned flyover track(s) -- for Hamilton to get more than hourly service all day.

GO also has the new layover yard at Lewis Rd., which currently has track for 4 trains but has room for expansion. If service improvements are made between Hamilton and Niagara it will need to be.

Here's a flyover video of it:
• Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1260  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 8:49 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
They're restoring half of the four, if you read the release. So not simply restoring.

As for future service levels on Hamilton Centre, that's not likely as it's CP's line and they're less friendly partners with Metrolinx. That's why the Milton line faces headwinds with future operational growth.
There are two trains already running out of Hamilton Centre today - the August 7 service changes will add two more, returning service to the pre-covid levels of 4 trains a day out of Hamilton Centre.

https://www.gotransit.com/static_files/g...ing/FullSchedules/FS07082021/Table10.pdf

and yea, there are issues with CP. I believe that even though the Hamilton tunnel can accommodate 2 tracks, CP refuses to allow an extra track through it as shifting the CP track over would result in lower clear heights in the tunnel which would prevent them from running double-stack container freight trains.

The Lewis yard has been built to be much, much larger than it is right now as well. I fully expect to see it expanded more very soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:57 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.