Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701
I'm all for protecting some views from the east side also, but the CVCs that stop at I-35 are simply protecting the views of people passing through on the highway. When you take into account the wide swath of land they cover, it seems to me that those specific CVCs were a giant mistake and should have never been implemented. IMHO the CVCs should be used to help add to the sense of place at prominent areas of the city. I-35 isn't exactly high on the list of prominent areas that people care about.
|
The view from I-35 is probably first on the list of favorite CVCs for a certain subset of stupid people who live in Austin on a part-time basis about every 2 years.
Our idiot district maps result in a disproportionate number of representatives coming from places where the interaction with the highway is the ONLY thing anyone could possibly care about.
I may hold a minority view, but CVCs are basically all dumb. They effectively work as a tax on all Austinites and Texans due to the limitations they impose on development of properties in certain parts of Austin. They have also artificially inflated the value of certain blocks to the benefit of a few lucky (and mostly private) landowners.
Here's my crackpot alternative idea: surely a trade with a few tower developers for a set of publicly accessible and permanently affordable observation decks in return for CVC removal would better serve the public interest.