HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 12:46 AM
RainDog's Avatar
RainDog RainDog is offline
Semi-Lurker
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PDX
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTimberjack View Post
As part of the City of Portland's response to COVID-19, restaurants and other establishments were allowed to apply for temporary on-street parking and road closures to provide more space for outdoor dining through the Healthy Businesses program.

I'm hoping that the city will consider making this program permanent and allow for business to bump out curbs for permanent seating between sidewalks and the streets. Additionally, a number of street closures like at NE 28th/Flanders and NE 28th/Ankeny have noticeably improved the placemaking of these areas.

What does everyone else think?
I am a fan of the street closures. As you mentioned the section of Ankeny that has been closed off functions quite well and doesn't meaningfully impede mobility in the area.

I will never personally understand the appeal of the street seats. I don't enjoy choking down exhaust with cars zipping by right next to me while I'm trying to enjoy some conversation and food with friends. But people seem to like them and they ad a level of interest and vibrance to the street scene that parked cars do not. So I am all for them even though I will never personally use them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:41 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.