Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop
You know, one thing that is interesting is that certain Chicago aldermen have highlighted some residents losing views as not a reason to oppose zoning changes. Hopkins here, a small number of others have publicly before (Reilly may have?). I think what they mean by this (and the reason they single out this particular reason for NIMBY opposition) is that they are stressing that there is no legal right for residents' views from their window to not change by adjacent or nearby development by other landowners. That's certainly true. However, nearby residents also have no legal right to 'feel' that their neighborhood is becoming "too dense" or "too congested" or that they have a right to only live amongst structures that 'complement the aesthetic of the neighborhood' or 'fit in with the look and feel of my building', etc. Why is one ridiculous type of claim deemed off the table yet the (often times - because I'm not suggesting these types of arguments are always just base groundless NIMBYism) others are sometimes very valid and kill or substantially change many developments?
I suppose this is also just pointing out the abject silliness of Chicago's inherent system of extralegal, corruption-by-design aldermanic prerogative as its primary land use decision-making process.
|
Is there actually a set of rules by which zoning can be determined?
Who's to say that density is not a criteria by which to set a lot's designated zoning?
If the existing transportation infrastructure and resources adjacent to a site are not adequate to support a highly density structure, then limiting that site's density does not seem unreasonable.
Don't get me wrong, everybody here knows that I hate NIMBYs, but I'm just asking for the sake of trying to understand.