HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2881  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 2:23 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Clark Park, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,041
I pose a question: should we zone certain sight lines for LP1? It’s a very important work architecturally and culturally, and I’m sure a lot of Philadelphians would hate to see it boxed in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2882  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 2:42 PM
allovertown allovertown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I pose a question: should we zone certain sight lines for LP1? It’s a very important work architecturally and culturally, and I’m sure a lot of Philadelphians would hate to see it boxed in.
No.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2883  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 2:43 PM
Urbanthusiat's Avatar
Urbanthusiat Urbanthusiat is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: South Philly
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I pose a question: should we zone certain sight lines for LP1? It’s a very important work architecturally and culturally, and I’m sure a lot of Philadelphians would hate to see it boxed in.
I would say no, and I doubt it’s at risk of getting boxed in anytime soon. I don’t think LP1 has any special relationship with a specific sight line worth placing limits on developments elsewhere. The only case of something like this in Philly is obviously city hall with the parkway, but those are both public projects so I think it’s appropriate to consider highlighting them when thinking about designing public spaces.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2884  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 2:57 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Clark Park, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I would say no, and I doubt it’s at risk of getting boxed in anytime soon. I don’t think LP1 has any special relationship with a specific sight line worth placing limits on developments elsewhere. The only case of something like this in Philly is obviously city hall with the parkway, but those are both public projects so I think it’s appropriate to consider highlighting them when thinking about designing public spaces.
Fair enough. Just figured it was a question with asking
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2885  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 3:05 PM
ScreamShatter ScreamShatter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,103
^ I don’t think so either. But I do wish we’d see taller buildings with sharp spires on them. Needle point spires look so good on tallest buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2886  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 3:14 PM
JohnIII JohnIII is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I pose a question: should we zone certain sight lines for LP1? It’s a very important work architecturally and culturally, and I’m sure a lot of Philadelphians would hate to see it boxed in.
No,

Just for the record I don't think sight lines for Liberty 1 are that important; my question is just one of curiosity more than anything else.

Plus the way the city is growing I don't think Liberty 1 being boxed in will be a issue for a very long time. Skyscrapers are growing from east to west; not north to south so it wouldn't be that big of an issue for many years more than likely.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2887  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 5:22 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Potential future highrise?

Philadelphia seeks developer for old Family Court building, neighboring lot after hotel plans are scrapped

Quote:
The city is again seeking developers to revitalize the former Family Court building on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway after talks with the Peebles Corp. about turning the property into an upscale hotel ended last year.

The Philadelphia Industrial Development Corp. on Friday issued a request for qualifications soliciting interest in redeveloping the nearly 250,000-square-foot building at 1801 Vine St. The redevelopment opportunity also includes a neighboring 88,000-square-foot lot at 1901 Wood St. that is currently managed by the Philadelphia Parking Authority.

The lot was previously held for the expansion of the Free Library of Philadelphia’s Parkway Central Library. The city says it is exercising its right under its contract with PPA to now offer the property for development. Interested developers must include the library's plan for a 60,000-square-foot children and family center, auditorium, storage, and relocation of administrative office space into their project.

"While we are disappointed that the original redevelopment plan did not come to fruition, we are looking forward to the next phase of redevelopment at this important location," he said.

New proposals for the building do not need to be restricted to a hotel, the city said.
Read/view more here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia...amily-courts-redevelopment-rfq-bids.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2888  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 5:27 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Adaptive Reuse for Bellet Building at 15th & Race









Quote:
1501 Race St., known for decades as the Bellet Building and known previously as the Schaff Building.

Earlier this year, the Inquirer reported that an affiliate of Brandywine Realty Trust had purchased the property for $9.7M. The building has been used as office space for Hahnemann and Drexel’s med school since the mid-1960s.

Last week, the City issued a zoning permit that indicates that the building will soon enter into a new stage in its life. Soon, all those offices will be converted into apartments, with a total of 170 in the plans. The first floor will remain in use as office space of some kind, though there will surely be some common space and perhaps some amenities on the first floor as well.
Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-philly/logan-square/adaptive-reuse-bellet-building-15th-race
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2889  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 5:40 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Clark Park, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Philadelphia seeks developer for old Family Court building, neighboring lot after hotel plans are scrapped



Read/view more here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia...amily-courts-redevelopment-rfq-bids.html
Ew, no. The symmetry between this and the Library is iconic.

Edit: Oops, misread and didn’t see that the adjacent parking lot is included. THAT should include a high rise for sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2890  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 6:01 PM
PHL10's Avatar
PHL10 PHL10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I pose a question: should we zone certain sight lines for LP1? It’s a very important work architecturally and culturally, and I’m sure a lot of Philadelphians would hate to see it boxed in.
I think that ship has sailed.



(credit: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48031588272_f7461a8528_b.jpg)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2891  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 7:05 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
If only Liberty 1 and 2 would be on the left of Willy Penn, that would throw the right balance at this angle. L1 and L2 are iconic and photos at the top of the museum steps are taken all the time... I even had my wedding pics above the steps when Comcast Center was being built and way before CITC block those bldgs.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Jul 12, 2021 at 7:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2892  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 7:49 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
If only Liberty 1 and 2 would be on the left of Willy Penn, that would throw the right balance at this angle. L1 and L2 are iconic and photos at the top of the museum steps are taken all the time... I even had my wedding pics above the steps when Comcast Center was being built and way before CITC block those bldgs.
You know, you're right. I say we move 'em.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2893  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 7:58 PM
Plokoon11 Plokoon11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
You know, you're right. I say we move 'em.
Okay, sounds good. Let me stretch first before I start moving them. Don't want to pull any muscles.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2894  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 9:33 PM
TK2001's Avatar
TK2001 TK2001 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Not your business
Posts: 2,819
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2895  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 10:31 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,627
No need to move them. Just pop the top off (including all the condos) and add 15 or so new floors, following the original plans, then fit the top back on. Simple. The condo owners I'm sure would think their new views would be worth moving out for 2 or 3 years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2896  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 10:38 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
No need to move them. Just pop the top off (including all the condos) and add 15 or so new floors, following the original plans, then fit the top back on. Simple. The condo owners I'm sure would think their new views would be worth moving out for 2 or 3 years.
Yeah, I'm with you. Forget the move. Just pop the tops and slap on some more floors.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2897  
Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 1:10 AM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
^
Just jack them both up and put them on stilts...it'll all work out fine, I'm sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2898  
Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 9:15 AM
Jayfar's Avatar
Jayfar Jayfar is offline
Midrise
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,575
Posting this here, since the article prominently cites Arthaus and The Laurel as examples.

Multimillion-dollar housing market in Philly is going strong | Inquirer.com
Multimillion-dollar homes are far from the norm in Philadelphia and its surrounding counties, but the city continues to attract high-end buyers looking for condos and townhouses.
The largest increase in inventory over the last year in the million-dollar-plus market has been the $1 million to $1.5 million range, he said. In some cases, homes that sellers would have priced just under $1 million in previous years have surpassed that mark because of rising prices across the market. Cavalcanto also has seen steady growth in inventory in the higher price ranges.
…
Luxury developers say the city is in a great position to continue attracting high-end buyers. Especially during the pandemic, New Yorkers looking for new homes have chosen Philadelphia for its central location, relative affordability, and lower density. Other buyers are downsizing from sprawling suburban homes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2899  
Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 11:18 AM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Clark Park, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,041
I, for one, welcome our new New Yawk overlords.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2900  
Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 4:50 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Ew, no. The symmetry between this and the Library is iconic.

Edit: Oops, misread and didn’t see that the adjacent parking lot is included. THAT should include a high rise for sure.
Haha, yeah. The deal includes the massive lot at 19th & Callowhill. This lot could EASILY fit two highrises. Fingers crossed

As for the old family court building, I would NEVER want to see that go. I'm really hoping it gets turned into a 5-star hotel. Something worthy of it's beauty.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:33 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.