Quote:
Originally Posted by BenYOW
The Porter Airlines Embraer E195-E2 rumours have been confirmed: - Up to 80 new E195-E2 aircraft
- Routes from Ottawa, Montreal, Halifax, and Toronto Pearson
- Aircraft deliveries beginning in mid-2022
|
A bold move for Porter. Going toe-to-toe with the big boys on their turf using a new-to-them airplane. They must have received a screaming deal on it, as Embraer isn't having much success selling them.
My real question is now this: How does the Canadian aviation market shake out in the next few years?
We've Flair, Rouge and Swoop duking it out for the ULCC passenger.
Air Transat, Sunwing and Rouge are aiming for the sun/leisure vacationers.
Now, it's Air Canada, Westjet and Porter going for mainline.
I can't see everybody surviving it. It's great while it lasts (and maybe I'd buy a ticket for the right price and not too far in advance), but I think Porter just pulled a Bombardier-esqe move here. It's one thing to be Westjet and swoop (see what I did there) in as Air Canada was having problems absorbing Canadian Airlines, but picking a fight with the big boys when they're strong isn't the wisest tactic.
Definitely have the popcorn out.