HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 12:29 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ So it's not Discover? Interesting. I figured The 78 would be appealing to them since it's a somewhat more suburban/leafy feel than a traditional Loop highrise or even Fulton Market. But maybe they're not looking to move at all?

For Chase, it would sure be interesting to see them move. Two of the sites mentioned in the article are B-grade at best in my opinion... a sliver site next to a chilling plant, a dusty lot next to the Kennedy, etc. 130 N Franklin is probably the strongest of the bunch. Of course, we've been spoiled since most of the recent office towers have grabbed dramatic riverfront sites... 130 N Franklin is prefectly adequate. It's big and it has good access to CTA/Metra.
How would you feel about 401 S Wacker Dr if the chilling plant was relocated and they had that whole site?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
How would you feel about 401 S Wacker Dr if the chilling plant was relocated and they had that whole site?
^ Yes it was my assumption that the chilling plant would be relocated. Its the only way a building of supposed 98 stories or even 50 stories could fit in that spot.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 2:47 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
^ Yes it was my assumption that the chilling plant would be relocated. Its the only way a building of supposed 98 stories or even 50 stories could fit in that spot.
There is no good reason to think the chilling plant will be going anywhere. Why would Chase want to subsidize the movement with an additional $10m's (probably much more) of a perfectly adequate chilling plant elsewhere on top of any development cost? Makes no sense. If they are looking at the site they are at least entertaining the notion that it could possibly be large enough a site to fit their space requirements on the current lot, as is.

Needless to say, it is likely very well below 98 stories wherever the location. There is no reason to think that given these locations or recent Chicago commercial building history that Chase is likely to break the 40-60floor/500-800ft threshold. If you are holding out hope for a gangbusters super-tall by Chase you are likely to be disappointed.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
There is no good reason to think the chilling plant will be going anywhere. Why would Chase want to subsidize the movement with an additional $10m's (probably much more) of a perfectly adequate chilling plant elsewhere on top of any development cost? Makes no sense. If they are looking at the site they are at least entertaining the notion that it could possibly be large enough a site to fit their space requirements on the current lot, as is.

Needless to say, it is likely very well below 98 stories wherever the location. There is no reason to think that given these locations or recent Chicago commercial building history that Chase is likely to break the 40-60floor/500-800ft threshold. If you are holding out hope for a gangbusters super-tall by Chase you are likely to be disappointed.
Not sure if you been following these posts but there was/is a rumor with some solid sources behind it that a potential 98 story office tower proposed with a australian firm supposedly anchoring 30% in that area where that chiller plant is. My point was that if Chase decided to jump in and anchor perhaps a sizeable chunk of the remaining space that could warrant such a large scale office tower which is extremely rare to occur this day and age. So this tower was already in discussions outside of the Chase developments. Im not saying Chase itself is planning to build a namestake tower for itself of that size but the opportunity may present for chase to join in if there is some serious truth to that proposal.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
Not sure if you been following these posts but there was/is a rumor with some solid sources behind it that a potential 98 story office tower proposed
If I had a dollar.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 5:22 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Maybe you know something I don't, but that seems far too complex and expensive to be realistic.

If Block 37 had to wrap around the ComEd station on Dearborn, I assume 401 S Wacker will also need to deal with the chilling plant as a permanent neighbor.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 5:41 AM
TL;DR

Sorry for the double post but to get back on topic, it looks like crews are finally working on the second bridge on Wells-Wentworth, this time under the Freeport Sub track.

For the first bridge below the St Charles Air Line, the railroads were willing to re-route all trains for months so the bridge could be built without active rail traffic. However, this is not the case for the Freeport Sub. Since freight trains and potentially Amtrak will need to operate continuously, crews are building a temporary "shoofly" bridge that will allow them to excavate around and underneath the track even as trains pass overhead.

Bridge spans for the shoofly:

Site is prepped for bridge installation:

Steel piles driven between/around the tracks to support the bridge spans:

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 9:11 PM
TL;DR

Looks like I was incorrect on the last post, the new steel is not for a shoofly but for "jump spans" that allow them to dig out under the railroad tracks in order to build the new bridge abutments.

Jump Span at East Abutment

Jump Span at West Abutment

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Looks like I was incorrect on the last post, the new steel is not for a shoofly but for "jump spans" that allow them to dig out under the railroad tracks in order to build the new bridge abutments.

Jump Span at East Abutment

Jump Span at West Abutment
Seems like no matter where they dig they find an old abutment or bridge. This is truly railroad -city archeology.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 4:00 PM
TL;DR

This area especially! I overlaid the old rail junction onto an aerial and showed the jump spans in red (completed SCAL bridge in green). Note the old river location as well, and the streetcar line in Clark St...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 1:40 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
This area especially! I overlaid the old rail junction onto an aerial and showed the jump spans in red (completed SCAL bridge in green). Note the old river location as well, and the streetcar line in Clark St...
That's nuts. Cool picture.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Last edited by HomrQT; Jul 24, 2021 at 3:28 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 2:50 AM
Urbane observer

Man, I could study that for days. Thanks for doing that overlay, ardecila. What's the old map from?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Seems like no matter where they dig they find an old abutment or bridge. This is truly railroad -city archeology.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 1:01 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Man, I could study that for days. Thanks for doing that overlay, ardecila. What's the old map from?
Not sure the original source but it was reposted here, from a railfan Facebook group: http://industrialscenery.blogspot.co...nycic.html?m=1

Imagine building a new subway station in the middle of this! It’s a construction challenge more typical of Paris or Rome…

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 4:22 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Posted to reddit yesterday, you can see the Wells St expansion and bridge work in the photo, but it also appears that there is site clearance both east and west of Wells:

(reddit user: sunislava_moonisice)

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 1:54 AM

^^^ What a huge improvement to the city. They need to start working on funding an extension of the Riverwalk to Congress NOW...

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 3:52 AM
TL;DR

^ It's included in the TIF package that Related will build. Funding depends on Related actually building stuff and putting it on the tax rolls, though...

As for that clearance along Wells, it might just be rough grading of the land to control runoff in the undeveloped state, to create slight ditches at each side. You don't want mud washing across your brand new roadway...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 5:12 PM

I think LVDW is talking about the north side of Congress... from Lake street to Congress so that we'd have a continuous riverwalk from Lake Michigan to 18th street.
Which I agree!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
I think LVDW is talking about the north side of Congress... from Lake street to Congress so that we'd have a continuous riverwalk from Lake Michigan to 18th street.
Which I agree!
Yup, everything South of Congress is great, but the genius of the Riverwalk will be when you can bike from Ping Tom to Bahai Temple entirely off street... Especially if it ties in the 606 and Lakeshore Path...

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 3:59 PM
TL;DR

That section is very tricky! I don't think they can do a proper riverwalk along the South Branch, or it becomes too narrow for navigation of barges etc.

I think the best we can do is to carve a bike path out of Riverside Plaza on the west side (which would still have street crossings). Or maybe they can carve something out of the Union Station track level where Amtrak has an access road.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development