HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #901  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 11:07 PM
matt602's Avatar
matt602 matt602 is offline
Hammer'd
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,785
About damn time.
__________________
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #902  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 12:05 AM
TheHonestMaple's Avatar
TheHonestMaple TheHonestMaple is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,833
This development will drastically change the perception of downtown Hamilton. The huge increase in downtown residents and just the modern 'Toronto' look will do wonders for our city. Glad to see it rising. Will try to get some drone shots of it soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #903  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 12:48 AM
905er's Avatar
905er 905er is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
This development will drastically change the perception of downtown Hamilton. The huge increase in downtown residents and just the modern 'Toronto' look will do wonders for our city. Glad to see it rising. Will try to get some drone shots of it soon.
I can't wait to see these rise in Hamilton.. it'll be great to see a break from all the 70's style apartments. These should be beauts when complete.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #904  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 1:12 AM
Dr Awesomesauce's Avatar
Dr Awesomesauce Dr Awesomesauce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BEYOND THE OUTER RIM
Posts: 5,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
...the modern 'Toronto' look will do wonders for our city. Glad to see it rising.
That's a good question. Not against the idea. Just not sure it's what people really look for in a city, unless we're speaking on a superficial level.

Toronto's shiny see-through skyline doesn't do much for me. It's the older, human-scaled parts of the city that are most attractive. Same with Manhattan, although their older skyscrapers are stunning.

I just hate to see older, thoughtfully designed buildings razed for plastic, fantastic junk. Darko's stuff, in particular, might not age well. We shall see...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #905  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 1:18 AM
TheHonestMaple's Avatar
TheHonestMaple TheHonestMaple is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,833
I think i'm strictly speaking superficial. I think the modern look of this building will improve the perception of Hamilton. Let's face it, this city has a bad reputation, it's ugly at a quick glance. This thing will improve the city's image to outsiders, and in my opinion will attract future development.

I agree, I used to live in Toronto for years. I specifically chose to live in a part of the city with charm, no condos, and real character. Little Portugal. I would never want to live in say, Liberty Village. But I do think Hamilton needs a bit of that to lift it up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #906  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 1:38 AM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
That's a good question. Not against the idea. Just not sure it's what people really look for in a city, unless we're speaking on a superficial level.

Toronto's shiny see-through skyline doesn't do much for me. It's the older, human-scaled parts of the city that are most attractive. Same with Manhattan, although their older skyscrapers are stunning.

I just hate to see older, thoughtfully designed buildings razed for plastic, fantastic junk. Darko's stuff, in particular, might not age well. We shall see...
I agree, and I've argued this numerous times here. I suppose on a superficial level tall shiny towers give a city that wow factor, and employment density hopefully. But if I were to live in Toronto the last place I'd live is among the new towers. We've looked into moving to Toronto and we'd probably look near the Danforth, Dundas near the Junction, Queen St E or Queen St W closer to Osgoode. This streets that feel a lot more like James N or Ottawa or Barton are far superior for living in, and have local businesses more often than franchise stores, the entire reason to leave the suburbs for me, which is getting out often, more similar to a European style of living where you're always out.

That said, I'm looking really forward to this development, but I fear it's a bit too much right on Gore, and especially looming on King William. Restaurant row will have a narrow window of sun compared to the current all day.
__________________
Hamilton Downtown. Huge tabletop skyline fan. Typically viewing the city from the street, not a helicopter. Cycling, transit and active transportation advocate đŸšČ🚍🚋

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3kIXnr9MISIZNGfD4A&s=09
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #907  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 1:52 AM
TheHonestMaple's Avatar
TheHonestMaple TheHonestMaple is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I agree, and I've argued this numerous times here. I suppose on a superficial level tall shiny towers give a city that wow factor, and employment density hopefully. But if I were to live in Toronto the last place I'd live is among the new towers. We've looked into moving to Toronto and we'd probably look near the Danforth, Dundas near the Junction, Queen St E or Queen St W closer to Osgoode. This streets that feel a lot more like James N or Ottawa or Barton are far superior for living in, and have local businesses more often than franchise stores, the entire reason to leave the suburbs for me, which is getting out often, more similar to a European style of living where you're always out.

That said, I'm looking really forward to this development, but I fear it's a bit too much right on Gore, and especially looming on King William. Restaurant row will have a narrow window of sun compared to the current all day.
Yeah i'm not really suggesting that tall glass condos make super amazing neighbourhoods to live in. Not at all. I'm just saying this particular development will give this part of Hamilton a modern feel. Something Hamilton desperately needs.

As mentioned above, I actually used to live in Toronto for a number of years. And I specifically chose to live in a neighbourhood like the ones you listed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #908  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 2:54 PM
thmx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Content removed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #909  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:01 AM
Bubba9000's Avatar
Bubba9000 Bubba9000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
This development will drastically change the perception of downtown Hamilton. The huge increase in downtown residents and just the modern 'Toronto' look will do wonders for our city. Glad to see it rising. Will try to get some drone shots of it soon.
The huge increase in downtown residents << this is what will be making the biggest difference. Sure tall shiny buildings get noticed but are ultimately ignored. More people living here are required to fuel vitality at the granular scale. We'll see the positive effect spreading for several blocks around this one and KiWi and others like them coming along.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #910  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 8:08 PM
Chronamut's Avatar
Chronamut Chronamut is offline
Hamilton Historian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,236
The downtown needs more entertainment complexes for all these new people - they all gotta have something to do or they'll just hop on the go and party it up in toronto like I used to do.. most of the clubs in hamilton have all shut down too..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #911  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 10:03 PM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
The downtown needs more entertainment complexes for all these new people - they all gotta have something to do or they'll just hop on the go and party it up in toronto like I used to do.. most of the clubs in hamilton have all shut down too..
There are definitely things to do in Hamilton nowadays, but the demand is now definitely higher than supply of entertainment.
__________________
Hamilton Downtown. Huge tabletop skyline fan. Typically viewing the city from the street, not a helicopter. Cycling, transit and active transportation advocate đŸšČ🚍🚋

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3kIXnr9MISIZNGfD4A&s=09
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #912  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 2:02 AM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
The downtown needs more entertainment complexes for all these new people - they all gotta have something to do or they'll just hop on the go and party it up in toronto like I used to do.. most of the clubs in hamilton have all shut down too..
most clubs have shut down everywhere. They just don't have the attendance they used to and they have land use issues opening up (neighbours always hate them and most cities have very restrictive zoning on them). Toronto has a fraction of the clubs it had in the 90's and 2000's.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #913  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 5:01 PM
Markus83's Avatar
Markus83 Markus83 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
most clubs have shut down everywhere. They just don't have the attendance they used to and they have land use issues opening up (neighbours always hate them and most cities have very restrictive zoning on them). Toronto has a fraction of the clubs it had in the 90's and 2000's.
Anyone up for a light show?! ( sound of drum & bass in the background @ the Opera House) TORONTO MASSIVE!! F*ck, do I ever miss those days.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #914  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 5:56 PM
Crapht Crapht is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 360
Sounds like the perfect opportunity for the reemergence of an all night warehouse Party culture. Those were good times.

But that’s not going to happen at Cobalt.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #915  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 5:56 AM
eatboots eatboots is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 243
People still like to go to festivals but I don't think clubs are considered cool any more.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #916  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 11:07 AM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatboots View Post
People still like to go to festivals but I don't think clubs are considered cool any more.
We still go clubbing occasionally. It's a change of pace. We prefer places like Sous Bas though over Hess St clubs.
__________________
Hamilton Downtown. Huge tabletop skyline fan. Typically viewing the city from the street, not a helicopter. Cycling, transit and active transportation advocate đŸšČ🚍🚋

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3kIXnr9MISIZNGfD4A&s=09
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #917  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 5:50 PM
Chronamut's Avatar
Chronamut Chronamut is offline
Hamilton Historian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatboots View Post
People still like to go to festivals but I don't think clubs are considered cool any more.
People used to party and hook up at clubs - now they can hook up through apps - even when clubs were still around at the end it was just people standing in circles on their phones looking specifically for people they met online at the clubs - social interaction has been dying for quite a while.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #918  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 5:55 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,884
People still go to clubs but not in the numbers they once did.

I think it's a mix of declining attendance, which is partially attributable to dating apps, partially attributable to changing consumer preferences, and the gentrification of cities making it challenging for them to locate affordably in locations that have enough density to support them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #919  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 6:54 PM
TheHonestMaple's Avatar
TheHonestMaple TheHonestMaple is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,833
And don't forget that future government covid restrictions will be the nail in the coffin for any clubs in this province unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #920  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 8:30 PM
Beedok Beedok is offline
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,797
Honestly, wouldn’t be surprised if Covid leads to a resurgence for them, with people wanting to get out after being cooped up and doing things they wouldn’t have done before. The classic ‘I didn’t want to do X until I was told I couldn’t’.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:09 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.