HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 10:32 AM

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Luka W. CY
@cy_luka

@average_man6 Here's what the LRT in Ottawa should've looked like. Doors, modern automated trains and doesn't smell like crap.
#ottlrt #ottawa #ottawalrt #metro #ottawametro #bank

https://twitter.com/cy_luka/status/1403145546584543234

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 7:15 PM

Yep. I still remember one of the early roundtables they had. Kinkinsharyo was the only OEM to suggest a light metro with climate controlled stations, higher frequencies and smaller trains and platforms. Instead, we decided to write specs building a light metro using trams....

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 3:20 PM

Higher res pic of the new Rideau Happy Goat.

https://twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/...85502542860295

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Higher res pic of the new Rideau Happy Goat.
Yikes they really crammed it in... I was hoping for something a little bit more "on brand" for happy goat... my proff designed the insides of the other ones in town ill have to ask if he had a hand in this one.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 12:55 AM

Our latest video just released this morning:

https://youtu.be/bFNK7ejnJqk

O-Train Technical Discussion with Troy Charter, Director of Transit Operations - June 2021

The O-Train Confederation Line (also known as O-Train Line 1), is a 12.5km long, fully grade-separated, 13 station rapid transit system, operated in the City of Ottawa by OC Transpo.

In this June 2021 video conversation with Troy Charter, Director of Transit Operations at OC Transpo, we discuss the intricacies of the line's operation.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Yikes, what a horrible bland design, with zero character or atmosphere. Imagine waiting for a train in that weird gray hallway? I'd take the current station design over this any day of the week.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseguin View Post
Our latest video just released this morning:

https://youtu.be/bFNK7ejnJqk

O-Train Technical Discussion with Troy Charter, Director of Transit Operations - June 2021

The O-Train Confederation Line (also known as O-Train Line 1), is a 12.5km long, fully grade-separated, 13 station rapid transit system, operated in the City of Ottawa by OC Transpo.

In this June 2021 video conversation with Troy Charter, Director of Transit Operations at OC Transpo, we discuss the intricacies of the line's operation.
Really enjoyed listening to this conversation Shane- excellent interview! Some really good information we haven't heard before.

Looking forward to the improvements from the rail grinding and the new wheel lubricator at Hurdman.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNerd View Post
Yikes, what a horrible bland design, with zero character or atmosphere. Imagine waiting for a train in that weird gray hallway? I'd take the current station design over this any day of the week.
Platform screen doors make for a very enclosed space, especially if the are narrow, as is the case in Ottawa. I would have preferred high-floor light-metro trains but could go without the platform screen doors.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 3:16 PM

You guys are crazy. I wish PSDs were mandatory on all new metro construction projects. Not only do they save lives. But allow for much tighter running with higher frequencies and most importantly fully enclosed climate controlled stations. This is exactly what the REM is and when that opens, Ottawans are going to understand how bad of a mistake we made.

Anybody who thinks looks are more important than protection from the elements definitely doesn't take transit much.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
You guys are crazy. I wish PSDs were mandatory on all new metro construction projects. Not only do they save lives. But allow for much tighter running with higher frequencies and most importantly fully enclosed climate controlled stations. This is exactly what the REM is and when that opens, Ottawans are going to understand how bad of a mistake we made.

Anybody who thinks looks are more important than protection from the elements definitely doesn't take transit much.
There are some significant advantages with PSDs, for sure, but there are disadvantages as well.

Yes they allow for higher frequencies, but those types of frequencies are not necessarily needed capacity wise, and 1.5 minutes vs 3 minutes doesn't make much difference for the user.

They do allow for climate controlled stations, but that adds significant capital and maintenance costs, not to mention environmental impacts. Passive climate control should be utilized far more than what it is, for far cheaper.

The saving lives and avoiding disruptions argument is the only one that can't be disputed, but we don't need full platform screen doors with climate control to achieve that.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Yes they allow for higher frequencies, but those types of frequencies are not necessarily needed capacity wise, and 1.5 minutes vs 3 minutes doesn't make much difference for the user.
It does make a difference to the user. Think off-peak. Shorter trains mean far higher off-peak frequencies.

The other big advantage is cost savings from smaller stations. This is also why the Ontario Line is going this route in Toronto. We wouldn't have needed to build 120m long underground platforms if we designed a system that can run trains every 1.5 mins through the the core.

Quote:
They do allow for climate controlled stations, but that adds significant capital and maintenance costs, not to mention environmental impacts. Passive climate control should be utilized far more than what it is, for far cheaper.
It also saves a whole lot on maintenance. Think of the issues with the heated platforms right now. How much is that going to cost to fix?

More importantly it's not a huge capital or operating cost compared to the massive improvement in rider experience and comfort that it provides. People who take transit would actually understand and appreciate this.

I look forward to hearing about how Montreal would have been better off building something like the Confederation Line instead of the REM because clearly they've wasted money on fully enclosed platforms and climate controlled stations. They really should show less concern for riders. What were they thinking?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 6:15 PM

Quote:

No. Just no. They are absolutely hideous. A big part of taking mass transit is the experience. Looking down the tunnel and seeing the train coming down the line, having the train rush by and feeling the gust of wind hit you, looking across at the people on the other platform...Those are all great parts of the experience. Standing in a sterile waiting room for a train would be awful. The platform widths would also need to be substantially larger as to not create claustrophobic hallway platforms. As for safety, most track incidents are done not accidentally. They are done purposefully, like suicides. So they may be safer, but people would unfortunately just find another way.

PSDs are the equivalent of those children's playgrounds that have removed old unique play structures and replaced them with plastic and rubber generic safety structures.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 6:35 PM

Quote:
No. Just no. They are absolutely hideous. A big part of taking mass transit is the experience. Looking down the tunnel and seeing the train coming down the line, having the train rush by and feeling the gust of wind hit you, looking across at the people on the other platform...Those are all great parts of the experience. Standing in a sterile waiting room for a train would be awful. The platform widths would also need to be substantially larger as to not create claustrophobic hallway platforms.
I would think your post is satire, if this forum wasn't filled with users who don't actually use public transit much. I'm sure you take it occasionally to go get drunk downtown or to a game at Lansdowne. I think folks like you like the idea of public transit more than the idea that you might have to use it regularly.

In any forum filled with people who actually use transit the idea that the "experience" of being able to see the train and feeling the wind rush is more important than protection from the elements (in a city with hot summers and very cold winters) would be absolutely laughed out of the room.

Quote:
As for safety, most track incidents are done not accidentally. They are done purposefully, like suicides. So they may be safer, but people would unfortunately just find another way.

PSDs are the equivalent of those children's playgrounds that have removed old unique play structures and replaced them with plastic and rubber generic safety structures.
Again, I would normally hope this is satire. Sadly, this is confident ignorance. Aside from suicides, you can get random trips and falls. You can riders too close who get pulled in by the venturi effect.

But let's say you don't care about any of that, building a system that can be disrupted by somebody or something falling on to the tracks is generally a bad idea. As is building one where you are going to traumatize all your operators from the suicides they will encounter in their careers. If Ottawa didn't have a choice because it already had an existing system? Sure. But a brand new system built in the 2010s without proper barriers, full automation and an enclosed station? Dumb. Even car dependent hellholes like Dubai know better.

And let's be clear. It's our ignorant fixation on serving the suburbs that drove this. The idea that the LRTs would run on the streets of Barrhaven and Stittsville. Of course, we ditched that idea. But kept the design that ignorant idea drove.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 7:14 PM

Quote:
I look forward to hearing about how Montreal would have been better off building something like the Confederation Line instead of the REM because clearly they've wasted money on fully enclosed platforms and climate controlled stations. They really should show less concern for riders. What were they thinking?
I don't think anyone would ever argue that REM should have been low-floor LRVs like Ottawa. Low-floor LRVs was a mistake. Narrow aisles, fewer doors, four cabs taking up a fifth of the train length.

I agree that we should have built a system more in line with REM. I personally prefer no platform screen doors, but I understand the benefits. I don't think climate controlled stations are necessary. Enclosed (Glencairn in Toronto or Belvedere in Edmonton) or better passive climate controlled would have sufficed. I'm already dressed for the weather, so I don't need to be in 15 degree heat wearing my -15 outdoor gear.

For the record, I took the bus for a few years in collage and we were taking the bus/O-Train a few times a week before Covid. My personal preferences and user experience may differ from yours. It doesn't mean I've never used transit or only use it on occasion.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 7:36 PM

Quote:
I agree that we should have built a system more in line with REM. I personally prefer no platform screen doors, but I understand the benefits. I don't think climate controlled stations are necessary. Enclosed (Glencairn in Toronto or Belvedere in Edmonton) or better passive climate controlled would have sufficed. I'm already dressed for the weather, so I don't need to be in 15 degree heat wearing my -15 outdoor gear.
You get that a climate controlled station doesn't mean the platform is as toasty as your living room right? The primary effect of any of these designs comes from protection from the elements. Beyond that, the best they are doing is ensuring that you aren't freezing in the winter or frying in the summer. An enclosed station isn't going to keep you at 15 degrees in the winter. More like 5-10 degrees. We probably use half of this much energy right now in the winter keeping that platform clear of snow and making sure the pipes don't freeze. It really wouldn't have been that much more expensive (maybe something like 5% more on capital costs net and 5-10% more on operating costs annually). But it would have vastly improved the user experience.

Quote:
For the record, I took the bus for a few years in collage and we were taking the bus/O-Train a few times a week before Covid. My personal preferences and user experience may differ from yours. It doesn't mean I've never used transit or only use it on occasion.
You also used to drive to work with your partner if I'm not mistaken. I would argue users who primarily rely on transit or use it everyday have higher standards. You will naturally have a higher tolerance for a worse transit service because you don't use it much. There's a different mindset when you have to tolerate something a few times a week.

If we want people to actually use transit and even prioritize it over the car, we need to start building transit that is actually comfortable for riders to a reasonable extent possible. This was a fantastic opportunity that Ottawa has sort of squandered. And I think it will become really apparent in 2-3 years when Ottawans ride the REM on their trips to Montreal.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 8:07 PM

Quote:
You get that a climate controlled station doesn't mean the platform is as toasty as your living room right? The primary effect of any of these designs comes from protection from the elements. Beyond that, the best they are doing is ensuring that you aren't freezing in the winter or frying in the summer. An enclosed station isn't going to keep you at 15 degrees in the winter. More like 5-10 degrees. We probably use half of this much energy right now in the winter keeping that platform clear of snow and making sure the pipes don't freeze. It really wouldn't have been that much more expensive (maybe something like 5% more on capital costs net and 5-10% more on operating costs annually). But it would have vastly improved the user experience.
Can't say I know the exact temperature of a climate controlled platform. Never experienced one myself. Doesn't matter if it's set at 5 or 15, I'm still dressed for -15.

Quote:
You also used to drive to work with your partner if I'm not mistaken. I would argue users who primarily rely on transit or use it everyday have higher standards. You will naturally have a higher tolerance for a worse transit service because you don't use it much. There's a different mindset when you have to tolerate something a few times a week.

If we want people to actually use transit and even prioritize it over the car, we need to start building transit that is actually comfortable for riders to a reasonable extent possible. This was a fantastic opportunity that Ottawa has sort of squandered. And I think it will become really apparent in 2-3 years when Ottawans ride the REM on their trips to Montreal.
Yes, we drove on days where we had appointments, had to run errands or visiting our parents in the boonies. I'd argue that if you're used to driving and only take transit a few time a week, your tolerance for disruptions or comfort would be lower because you've experienced the "luxury" of your own private vehicle.

Fact is that the Confederation Line was mostly built for suburban commuters. Residents living on Montreal Road, Centretown, the Glebe, they are stuck with unreliable buses and probably don't care about the Confed's weather protection. I would prefer investing in better transit, even if it's just more bus priority, than a few extra hundred million on climate controlled stations. I think low-floor was the biggest mistake in building the Confed because of the limited layouts and door placements. Had we gone high-floor, installing PSDs in the future might have been easier, but LRVs (at least ours) have odd door placements that prevent that.

If I could go back in time and make changes, by priority based on budget:
  1. High-floor fully automated light metro with shorter (100 meter) platforms;
  2. Enclosed or better passive climate control;
  3. Climate-controlled stations with PSDs.

At the end of the day, what we have now is a huge improvement over the old Transitway. Great frequencies, better weather protection than before, every train is your train (every second post Stage 2) as opposed to breaking your neck trying to figure out which one of the 20 buses coming at you is yours.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 9:06 PM

I think you (and others) have this idea that enclosed stations would cost a lot. This ignores offset cost. Because barriers require automation, trains can be run tighter and stations can be built smaller. This results in substantial cost savings for elevated and especially underground stations. I'm inclined to think that the savings on our stations lengths alone would probably have offset most of the cost of enclosure and automation. Metro rolling stock is also usually cheaper than LRVs. Operating costs would be slightly higher, and even a lot of that comes down to what level of comfort wants to be provided. There's obviously higher bills to keeping a station at 20 degrees year round than say 10 degrees in the winter and 25 degrees in the summer.

Just ask yourself why an entity that would be motivated to cut cost like CDPQ would choose to build fully enclosed climate controlled stations. Why did the Union Pearson Express do it for terminal stations? Why is it the preferred solution for the Ontario Line? Why are most new metro systems or metro lines built with PSDs as a minimum and usually enclosed in extreme climates? Are they all clueless about the cost?

There's nothing wrong with admitting that we screwed up and made a boneheaded decision. Admitting it, might be first step to learning from it.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 9:12 PM

I am fully in favour of PSD and I'm also surprised not everybody is

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 9:35 PM

Quote:
I would think your post is satire, if this forum wasn't filled with users who don't actually use public transit much. I'm sure you take it occasionally to go get drunk downtown or to a game at Lansdowne. I think folks like you like the idea of public transit more than the idea that you might have to use it regularly.

In any forum filled with people who actually use transit the idea that the "experience" of being able to see the train and feeling the wind rush is more important than protection from the elements (in a city with hot summers and very cold winters) would be absolutely laughed out of the room.

Again, I would normally hope this is satire. Sadly, this is confident ignorance. Aside from suicides, you can get random trips and falls. You can riders too close who get pulled in by the venturi effect.

But let's say you don't care about any of that, building a system that can be disrupted by somebody or something falling on to the tracks is generally a bad idea. As is building one where you are going to traumatize all your operators from the suicides they will encounter in their careers. If Ottawa didn't have a choice because it already had an existing system? Sure. But a brand new system built in the 2010s without proper barriers, full automation and an enclosed station? Dumb. Even car dependent hellholes like Dubai know better.

And let's be clear. It's our ignorant fixation on serving the suburbs that drove this. The idea that the LRTs would run on the streets of Barrhaven and Stittsville. Of course, we ditched that idea. But kept the design that ignorant idea drove.
Actually I live in the urban core, and outside of the COVID-era take transit regularly. I am not a "transit tourist" like you so absurdly assumed. In fact if I can recall correctly from your previous posts, YOU live way out in a rural/suburban setting and seemed to not have an understanding/grasp on basic urban issues such as land development and transit. So I'd thank you not to make wild assumptions about my lifestyle. Your ignorant assumptions that somehow anyone that doesn't think the idiotic PSD system is superior is somehow an out of touch simpleton, shows extreme benightedness on your part.

You act as though tripping and falling to one's death on the tracks is a regular occurrence on our system. I can assure you the opposite. Especially on low floor designed system stations. I can recall only one incident of someone falling on the o-train tracks and they were helped up and not seriously injured. You have a 1000000x better chance getting hit by a car walking out of the station. You also act as though the budgets would just allow installation of this costly system.

If you don't appreciate the experience of train travel than I fear you have lost the Joie de vivre. Even as a daily rider I appreciated the sounds, smells, and feel of train travel. As for the protection from the elements argument, perhaps someone as fragile as yourself who cannot tolerate Ontario's "hot summers and cold winters" climate would be better suited in another area of the globe.

The ironic part is, you speak with such ignorant confidence on a subject i'm sure you have zero formal expertise in, like a real-life Dunning–Kruger effect case study. You also belive that anyone that "really knows transit like you" would agree with your distorted take on the issue, and "laugh me out of the room". Perhaps, let people have their own opinions on an issue and have a conversation/debate without attacking them and mocking them in a public form next time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation