Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire
What does the CPC want to do about housing? I would think some increased regulation would be appropriate and maybe the best way to gain control of the situation, but that would probably be the opposite direction that the CPC would want to move in.
|
I think it's mostly fluff. But they are smart to talk about it. The Liberals and NDP largely only talk about social housing or brag about token efforts on affordable housing (a co-op here or there). This is starting to sound as out of touch as Baghdad Bob to a lot of younger middle class folks who aren't poor, but yet don't have the income or wealth to enter the housing market.
CPC MP Brad Vis has become quite the vocal critic of the Liberals on housing:
https://twitter.com/BradleyVis
He also pushed this resolution:
There's also Pierre Poilievre banging the housing drum everyday, increasingly conflating stimulus spending with insinuations of the BoC and government secretly in cahoots to implement MMT and that this is inflating housing costs out of the reach of young Canadians.
Bad optics on the part of the Liberals, to be the only party voting against it, and then having it passed anyway. I get why Liberals have to vote against this. But I think they are really risking the next generation of voters, by increasingly coming off as out-of-touch. If those voters don't outright vote for the opposition, they may just become very apathetic, believing that the LPC has not real policies to offer them. And I don't doubt that this might well be some of the CPC game plan in highlighting the failure of the Liberals on this.