HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 2:11 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ It's becoming epic, but still too many vacant/parking lots
Give it a few months

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 12:23 PM

2011:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8867...7i13312!8i6656

2021:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
2011:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8867...7i13312!8i6656

2021:

Quote:

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 2:20 PM

Compared to 10 years ago, I say the entire area is moving in the right direction. 10 years from now there will still be vacant/parking lots but at a minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ It's becoming epic, but still too many vacant/parking lots

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 3:27 PM

I worked in the Fulton area for about 15 years and the transformation really is quite incredible.

Does not stop me from feeling the Kylo Ren "MORE!" gif every time another new project is revealed.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 3:47 PM

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
800 W Fulton

( increasable shots there - nailed the lighting )

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 3:53 PM

Looks like a part of this year's Fulton Market boom can be attributed to the city actively advertising the area

Lightfoot reveals vision for healing downtown
Quote:
The city's plan calls for closing parts of major streets for entertainment, filling vacant storefronts and boosting big developments, all to help the city spark a post-COVID rebound.

The Lightfoot administration is proposing to close portions of three of the city’s major thoroughfares on occasion this summer—North Michigan Avenue, State Street and LaSalle Street—as part of a newly detailed plan to help downtown bounce back from the pandemic.

The city is also pledging to help developers of large projects such as the 78 and the former Michael Reese hospital site lure anchor tenants; backing plans for pop-up stores and other creative ways to temporarily fill vacant retail storefronts; and pondering a new way to let business groups establish and promote themselves by leveling a tax on their members. Read a report on the plan below.
Mayekar said Lightfoot personally has been meeting with developers, real estate investors and others in hopes of jump-starting large developments, including the Lincoln Yards project. A recent boom in development of biomedical lab space there and more prominently in the Fulton Market area is partially the result of such sessions, and more may be on the way, he said.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...aling-downtown
Report: https://www.scribd.com/document/5113...oad&from_embed

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Looks like a part of this year's Fulton Market boom can be attributed to the city actively advertising the area

Lightfoot reveals vision for healing downtown

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...aling-downtown
Report: https://www.scribd.com/document/5113...oad&from_embed
Clark st has been a dining area since last year - must say I like it.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 5:22 PM

What's Next for Sterling

Besides getting projects approved and demoing buildings, I feel like Sterling Bay has been quiet within the last few years on actually moving forward with construction in the neighborhood. Does anyone have any insights on what's next for the company that has truly been at the forefront of revitalizing the West Loop/Fulton Market?

I truly hope it's "The Porch" aka 330 N Green St. I like how this project along with 360 N Green will extend the street scene on Green Street further north. While working at 210 N Carpenter, I can attest how Fulton Labs placement in the neighborhood brings so much new character north of tracks.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
Besides getting projects approved and demoing buildings, I feel like Sterling Bay has been quiet within the last few years on actually moving forward with construction in the neighborhood. Does anyone have any insights on what's next for the company that has truly been at the forefront of revitalizing the West Loop/Fulton Market?

I truly hope it's "The Porch" aka 330 N Green St. I like how this project along with 360 N Green will extend the street scene on Green Street further north. While working at 210 N Carpenter, I can attest how Fulton Labs placement in the neighborhood brings so much new character north of tracks.
I was guessing maybe the Carroll site they just demoed? Or maybe that high rise that’s replacing the drive through bank? I wonder if they’ll change the design of the porch building. It doesn’t have outdoor space for each floor, which seems like a must now. Many recent projects have tried to give each tenant a terrace, like the Fulton labs and west end buildings.

The Carroll building does have terraces on each floor.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 12:46 PM

^I heard the unbuilt office towers on Carroll and Green are still looking for tenants. SB’s next project will be the first building at Lincoln Yards.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 7:23 PM

ADM demo - Fulton Market

June 3

Last edited by harryc; Jun 11, 2021 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 8:21 PM

Fulton Labs - 400 N Aberdeen

June 3

Last edited by harryc; Jun 11, 2021 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 8:47 PM

1400 W Randollph ( and friend )

June 3

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 10:12 PM

1043 W Fultong

June 3

a warm gray morning - right behind the utility pole to the left

June 7

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 10:48 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
^I heard the unbuilt office towers on Carroll and Green are still looking for tenants. SB’s next project will be the first building at Lincoln Yards.

Also speaks to more generally the shift we're seeing underway in Fulton/near-Fulton W Loop areas shifting in composition of new development toward residential. Expect that to continue, if not in a linear fashion as demand in the office market sorts itself out/resets over the next few years.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 12:15 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemachs View Post
You right. However, doesn't it seem like we've seen significantly less 800'+ proposals since the crash of '08? Does it speak to local and national developers being less bullish on the market here, with a majority of proposals being more conservative, blueglass, semi-boring towers in the downtown area? The one place I'm seeing adventurous architecture is the West Loop. Now that I think of it, the current boom in that neighborhood may mean less 800+ footers; sucking up the demand for office and residential?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
no.

i'd say it's 100% the opposite.

chicago has never seen more 800' projects than it is right now.

chicago's 800+ footers have been built in 4 distinct building booms, with one outlier (park tower).
I spent the 2006 New Year at the top of Jin Mao Tower at about 1,000 feet. The Shanghai World Financial Center was under construction across the street and about our floors height at the time.

Pictures of Shanghai today make Jin Mao seem relatively small, with both SWFC and Shanghai Tower towering over it.

Overall, I'm okay with the pace of Chicago's tower construction. I'd rather end up with a mix of Miami and Paris as much as anything else. There are still a lot of empty lots around.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 12:29 AM

Bentham Condos - 146 W Erie

June 3

June 7

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 2:44 PM
TL;DR

Yeah this boom gave us two buildings over 800' (One Chicago and Vista). We may get two more with 400 LSD and Tribune. I certainly would not say we are seeing fewer proposals in this range. Thompson Center site may yield another one, but who knows.

Personally I am glad we are developing solid midrise neighborhoods as well in West Loop/Fulton and River North. It's good for our city to fill up the mile-wide industrial "moat" that once separated the highrise Loop from the lowrise neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 2:59 PM

609 W Randolph

June 3

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations