HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2001  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2021, 9:38 PM
DMH DMH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Drawings [4 MB] for YBP Ankeny (site of the previous Ankeny Apartments, which were denied by the Design Commission before being approved by the City Council).
The project's mission statement and lofty goals made me hopeful. The preliminary site analysis with discussion of taking design cues from the differing neighborhood contexts along both SE 12th and along SE Ankeny made me optimistic. But the design is pretty ordinary. I do not see any special places or ways for a community of residents to interact. Am I missing something? Show me how this meets the project's goals.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2002  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 11:58 PM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
The project's mission statement and lofty goals made me hopeful. The preliminary site analysis with discussion of taking design cues from the differing neighborhood contexts along both SE 12th and along SE Ankeny made me optimistic. But the design is pretty ordinary. I do not see any special places or ways for a community of residents to interact. Am I missing something? Show me how this meets the project's goals.
It has a roof deck, obviously.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2003  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 1:57 AM
DMH DMH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
It has a roof deck, obviously.
“Our design aims to deliver a
building that provides an inspiring
place to live and commune while
working to fit into the existing
fabric of the neighborhood through
simplicity of form and materiality."

I fail to see how this will be an inspiring place to live.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2004  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 5:09 AM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
“Our design aims to deliver a
building that provides an inspiring
place to live and commune while
working to fit into the existing
fabric of the neighborhood through
simplicity of form and materiality."

I fail to see how this will be an inspiring place to live.
It's mostly a BS statement to make an apartment building sound more than what it really is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2005  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 4:11 PM
pdxsg34 pdxsg34 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 348
550 MLK Drawings

Quote:
New half block, 7-story "5-over-2" mixed-use building in the Central Eastside Subdistrict of the Central City Plan District. Ground-level uses include commercial retail spaces, residential amenities, parking with approximately 60 parking stalls, and approximately 132 residential dwelling units of varying sizes at levels 2-7. The Type II Historic Resource Review is required as a small portion of the east building wall is within the East Portland/ Grand Avenue Historic District. Two Modifications are requested to reduce the required depth of active uses on SE MLK (33.510.225) and to reduce Ground Floor Window area coverage and length requirements on SE Washington (33.510.220 and 33.140.230.B).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2006  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 6:16 PM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
550 MLK Drawings

Not too bad from what was originally supposed to go up on this site. I would really love to see this whole area get filled up with buildings this size and create another nice urban pocket in the central eastside.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2007  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 6:18 PM
stan stan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 57
Fire at 888 SE Alder

Fire at the site of proposed building at 888 SE Alder. Pretty large fire, seems the 1890’s wooden warehouse currently on site collapsed.

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2021...ut-down-traffic-for-most-of-the-day.html

If I remember right, project was approved by design commission and permitting process started but stalled out. Thought project was dead, looking at portlandmaps seems there was some recent permitting activity for work securing building from trespassers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2008  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 1:05 AM
CorbinWarrick CorbinWarrick is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan View Post
Fire at the site of proposed building at 888 SE Alder. Pretty large fire, seems the 1890’s wooden warehouse currently on site collapsed.

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2021...ut-down-traffic-for-most-of-the-day.html

If I remember right, project was approved by design commission and permitting process started but stalled out. Thought project was dead, looking at portlandmaps seems there was some recent permitting activity for work securing building from trespassers.
Well looks like they will save money on bulldozing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2009  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 6:24 PM
eric cantona's Avatar
eric cantona eric cantona is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan View Post
Fire at the site of proposed building at 888 SE Alder. Pretty large fire, seems the 1890’s wooden warehouse currently on site collapsed.

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2021...ut-down-traffic-for-most-of-the-day.html

If I remember right, project was approved by design commission and permitting process started but stalled out. Thought project was dead, looking at portlandmaps seems there was some recent permitting activity for work securing building from trespassers.
This project is stalled while the Owner looks for another developer to replace the one they parted ways with.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2010  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 6:02 PM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
Revised drawings [30 MB] and Staff Report for 550 SE MLK.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2011  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:45 PM
uncommon.name's Avatar
uncommon.name uncommon.name is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Revised drawings [30 MB] and Staff Report for 550 SE MLK.
I actually really like how this looks and think it will really enhance that part of MLK Jr Blvd.
__________________
Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2012  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 6:38 PM
MarkDaMan's Avatar
MarkDaMan MarkDaMan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Portland
Posts: 7,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
I actually really like how this looks and think it will really enhance that part of MLK Jr Blvd.
I see that this has a proposed "Fab Lab" as a residential amenity on the ground floor. I've read about these in other cities. I wonder if this will be out first one. I'm assuming it's connected to this organization:

https://fabfoundation.org
__________________
make paradise, tear up a parking lot
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2013  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 9:04 PM
uncommon.name's Avatar
uncommon.name uncommon.name is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I see that this has a proposed "Fab Lab" as a residential amenity on the ground floor. I've read about these in other cities. I wonder if this will be out first one. I'm assuming it's connected to this organization:

https://fabfoundation.org
Good catch, I didn't even see that! That will be cool.
__________________
Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2014  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 9:17 PM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I see that this has a proposed "Fab Lab" as a residential amenity on the ground floor. I've read about these in other cities. I wonder if this will be out first one. I'm assuming it's connected to this organization:

https://fabfoundation.org
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
Good catch, I didn't even see that! That will be cool.
Hmmm... the space shown is maybe 500 sq ft, whereas the "perfect space" described is 1,900 sq ft and 1,500 sq ft is "sufficient".
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2015  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:54 PM
pdxsg34 pdxsg34 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 348


Current development on lower Sandy. "Standard" blue are completed projects the past few years. Orange is UC. Other blues are EA/under review. Bottom left in purple is the proposed NIR Center (10-story) and 900 SE Sandy 12-story. Light blue top middle is the early stages of proposed Bottling Blocks plan.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2016  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 12:23 AM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
Design Advice Notice for Lincoln Court

Quote:
Lincoln Court is proposed to include (8) eight residential units, one commercial space, and common and support areas surrounding a central courtyard. The massing of the structures varies in height from two to four stories. Approximately 4 - 6 covered, but not enclosed parking spaces, are proposed. No Modifications or Adjustments are currently proposed.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2017  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 6:17 PM
AdamUrbanist AdamUrbanist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Design Advice Notice for Lincoln Court
Really interesting to see multi-family housing proposed that could potentially accommodate families. With the millennial generation getting solidly into their thirties I wonder if we're going to see more of this
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2018  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 7:49 AM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUrbanist View Post
Really interesting to see multi-family housing proposed that could potentially accommodate families. With the millennial generation getting solidly into their thirties I wonder if we're going to see more of this
I've been hoping to see more of this since us hipsters have all gotten older and have started having families. With the millennials getting into that same stage, I am hoping we will see Portland shift to more family apartment housing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2019  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 1:57 AM
stan stan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 57
Looks like Alder 9 is going to be built as affordable housing. City just awarded it funds from the housing bond.

https://www.portland.gov/phb/construction/alder-9
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2020  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 5:18 PM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
Request for Response for YBP Ankeny (the "L" site at 1122 SE Ankeny).
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:17 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.