As you can see, the site is broad. This reminds me that it is like to the One Vanderbilt tower site. A tower like One Vanderbilt will not be bad for this site.
Given this site has a massive assemblage of air rights and theater district development transfers, if it isn't an iconic supertall, I'll be very disappointed.
They took like 15 years to assemble this site and the associated development rights. We need a blockbuster addition to the skyline.
Given this site has a massive assemblage of air rights and theater district development transfers, if it isn't an iconic supertall, I'll be very disappointed.
They took like 15 years to assemble this site and the associated development rights. We need a blockbuster addition to the skyline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes
I agree. I'm just not convinced that this area warrants something iconic. Consider the fat Rieu Hotel that was built just up the street.
I hope that I'm wrong.
Extell doesn't mess around. If it's not residential/retail, then it could probably be an office. I don't know if the hotel market will be there, unless Extell waits a few more years.
Extell doesn't mess around. If it's not residential/retail, then it could probably be an office. I don't know if the hotel market will be there, unless Extell waits a few more years.
That area doesn't really warrant office space. No one would really want to work there. Anyway, an office tower would probably result in a structure like Extell's Gem tower on 47th.
The hotel market will come back. Hotel and rental building makes the most sense in this area.
That area doesn't really warrant office space. No one would really want to work there. Anyway, an office tower would probably result in a structure like Extell's Gem tower on 47th.
The hotel market will come back. Hotel and rental building makes the most sense in this area.
An office tower could easily rise here. No one thought of Times Square as an office district, but that changed in a hurry. An office tower is exactly what Related and Boston Properties were planning to build here.
Start spreading the news
I'm leaving today
I want to be a part of it
New York, New York
These vagabond shoes
They are longing to stray
Right through the very heart of it
New York, New York
I want to wake up in a city
That never sleeps
And find I'm king of the hill
Top of the heap
These small town blues
They are melting away
I'll make a brand new start of it
In old New York
If I can make it there
I'll make it anywhere
It's up to you
New York, New York
it's going to be something weird if this beast really only has 40 floors. This is times square, so it's probably going to be a resort or something with thrill attractions. We should keep a close eye on the permits at 1710 Broadway too.
Last edited by Hudson11; May 28, 2021 at 10:34 PM.
So far, it's listed as hotel with some residential. I don't think the filings are final though, and the final height will probably differ also. But just knowing there will be 3 levels of observation deck makes me want to see the design. Extell owes us something nice.
it's going to be something weird if this beast really only has 40 floors. This is times square, so it's probably going to be a resort or something with thrill attractions. We should keep a close eye on the permits at 1710 Broadway too.
It's either the world's first skyscraper with 30 foot ceilings or there are a lot of gardens and open spaces etc.
Those early filings show no graphics for the full building, but one filing shows a base of 55 ft that wraps around 3 of the 8th Ave buildings....
The filing so far for this tower is for a size of about 600,000 sf. So maybe future filings will clear up the number of floors.
The 1152 capacity observation deck would be comparable to the 1304 capacity deck at One Vanderbilt or 1306 at 30 Hudson. Despite whatever people may think of Times Square, the theater district is a HUGE draw to the city. I know people who come from other places just to see a Broadway show. If they do go forward with the plans for a deck here, there's no doubt it would draw off of tourists in the immediate area.
This would be the first supertall in the theater district.
I haven't walked up that part of 8th Ave in a while, but a little more context from GoogleEarth....