HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #17041  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 1:53 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
The cladding on 1000 DLG isn't salmon green, it's grey. The photo is making it look that way.
Is it? I've always seen a hint of salmon. That said, I've always liked the tower portion. The podium less so, especially the 3 that have poor street interaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
That's kind of surprising to me. While pomo is not one of my favourite styles, 1000 RLB is one example that I really enjoy.
Never thought of that one as being PoMo.

In general, I don't dislike PoMo. Ottawa's few examples offer a hint of colour and interest to the skyline, like the World Exchange Plaza (1991 and 2001).


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_Exchange_Plaza_Tower_I_-_45_OConnor_Street.jpg


https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:World_Exchange_Plaza,_Ottawa_(40411884224).jpg

150 Elgin, which is a PoMo built in a post PoMo world (completed around 2014) is another one of Ottawa's few interesting office towers.


https://www.neufarchitectes.com/en/projects/performance-court-at-150-elgin
     
     
  #17042  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 1:59 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Skyline from above Greystone Village, a new development in old Ottawa East, next to St-Paul University.

Photo_6553832_DJI_232_jpg_4007283_0_20215413104_photo_original by harley613, on Flickr

Photo_6553840_DJI_240_jpg_4111205_0_202154131326_photo_original by harley613, on Flickr

Photo_6553831_DJI_231_jpg_4109621_0_20215413938_photo_original by harley613, on Flickr

The heritage Deschâtelets (original built in 1885 and expanded) will be re-purposed into an elementary school, community centre and the top floors will be used for affordable housing.

Photo_6553833_DJI_233_jpg_4116003_0_202154131018_photo_original by harley613, on Flickr
     
     
  #17043  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:02 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,140
The little house is a great place to have a lot of wine and meat based dishes.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #17044  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:07 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
The little house is a great place to have a lot of wine and meat based dishes.
Never been to Beckta's, but hope to try it out when things return to normal.

They did an amazing job restoring the building and integrating it to the new tower. One of the best examples of heritage preservation I've seen. I wish we could see more of this over token empty gestures like facadism.
     
           
     
  #17046  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:28 PM
thmx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Content removed
     
     
  #17047  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:54 PM
SkahHigh's Avatar
SkahHigh SkahHigh is offline
More transit please
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Is it? I've always seen a hint of salmon. That said, I've always liked the tower portion. The podium less so, especially the 3 that have poor street interaction.
Depends on how you see colours but I see mostly grey.

     
     
  #17048  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:18 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
There's definitely a pinkish hue in le 1000's granite, observable in certain times and in certain types of lights. It looks grey and full in the rain, and in the early sin set one can see a bit of that pinkish hue.

It's a strange building. I'm not crazy about it. But I accept it.
     
     
  #17049  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:35 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,996
The real estate agents are upping their game. I notice more and more listings that include drone footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeJcOX-5ifg

Some screen captures from that one, on Dresden Row in Halifax:



I hope the city protects some of these streetscapes on the side streets around Spring Garden Road. It's not so much the buildings themselves that matter, although some are historic and stand out, but the fine-grained scale and variety.
     
     
  #17050  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 7:58 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,140
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #17051  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 8:11 PM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
The cladding on 1000 DLG isn't salmon green, it's grey. The photo is making it look that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
I think it's aging much better than the vast majority of pomo skyscrapers. And I can't imagine Montreal's skyline without it. I like its silhouette.

I also don't see any pink in its granite cladding, contrary to this one...

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.5015765,-...itch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192
Ah, well, maybe it was the power of suggestion and something in the photo that made me think of salmon.

Still, though. Pomo...blech.
     
     
  #17052  
Old Posted May 13, 2021, 1:14 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Ottawa skyline from above Blair Station, the Confederation Line's current eastern terminus.

Photo_6553842_DJI_242_jpg_4464584_0_202154133214_photo_original by harley613, on Flickr

And Hurdman, transfer to the s/e Transitway.

Photo_6553839_DJI_239_jpg_4306714_0_202154131258_photo_original by harley613, on Flickr

Blair TOD looking west, with skyline in the background.

Photo_6553843_DJI_243_jpg_4328656_0_202154133242_photo_original by harley613, on Flickr

Blair TOD looking north, with Montreal Road/St. Laurent Boulevard skyline in the background.

Photo_6553845_DJI_245_jpg_4371448_0_202154133320_photo_original by harley613, on Flickr
     
     
  #17053  
Old Posted May 13, 2021, 1:19 PM
SkahHigh's Avatar
SkahHigh SkahHigh is offline
More transit please
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,794
Blair "TOD"
     
     
  #17054  
Old Posted May 13, 2021, 1:40 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,140
Everything wrong with TOD development. Blah.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #17055  
Old Posted May 13, 2021, 3:11 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is online now
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I like everything in Montreal's skyline save for this one, which I think greatly detracts from the overall aesthetic of the skyline. That salmon-coloured cladding and those puke green windows are cringeworthy and represent some of the worst of the pomo design trends of the 1980s. As I kid I couldn't articulate it, but I knew instinctively how wrong these buildings were every time we got off the Gardiner and were confronted by this: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6413592,-...QGzIB_DbmdAbfFUJ0v-Wg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
I don't care at all for this building. At the same time, just a couple of blocks away, a far, far better tower was being constructed in the form of 1250 Rene Levesque. I watched both be built from the upper floors of the Hell Building at Concordia, during my UG years (90-94).
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #17056  
Old Posted May 13, 2021, 3:30 PM
MonkeyRonin's Avatar
MonkeyRonin MonkeyRonin is offline
¥ ¥ ¥
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,668
__________________
     
     
  #17057  
Old Posted May 13, 2021, 3:38 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Everything wrong with TOD development. Blah.
It's part of a long term masterplan that will eventually see the entire suburban commercial centre redeveloped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
As Phase 1 of the long-term redevelopment of the subject property, RioCan proposes to construct a 30-storey, 90 metre residential building within Area A of the subject property, adjacent to the transit station. The proposed building would contain approximately 308 dwelling units and associated amenity areas. A single storey of parking is provided below the tower, below grade on the north side but at-grade on the south side.


Overall plan:



All from: http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Image%...g%20Rationale%20and%20Design%20Brief.PDF
The Gloucester Centre next door is also starting a redevelopment, but will maintain more of its suburban feel and surface parking, starting with the 30 storey tower directly plugged into the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
1980 Ogilvie Rd | 94m | 30f | Proposed
Ultimate use of lands:





     
     
  #17058  
Old Posted May 13, 2021, 6:13 PM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Spadina is a great street. While Yonge is the traditional centre of everything, and Queen is the sort of (mostly) indie street that any city would die for, you could argue that Spadina is the most emblematic of Toronto: half-hearted pretensions to grandeur, little shops cheek-by-jowl, the streetcar given centre stage, Chinatown, Kensington Market off to the side, the Gardiner at its base, etc.

Last edited by rousseau; May 13, 2021 at 6:39 PM. Reason: Typo
     
     
  #17059  
Old Posted May 13, 2021, 6:21 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
ハルウララ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Spadina is a great street. While Yonge is the traditional centre of everything, and Queen in the sort of (mostly) indie street that any city would die for, you could argue that Spadina is the most emblematic of Toronto: half-hearted pretensions to grandeur, little shops cheek-by-jowl, the streetcar given centre stage, Chinatown, Kensington Market off to the side, the Gardiner at its base, etc.
And holding on for dear life as it tries to prevent condo developers from replacing local businesses with expensive condos.
     
     
  #17060  
Old Posted May 13, 2021, 6:55 PM
Sonog Sonog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 318

@jefrosonic
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:07 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.