HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I'm wondering what this means exactly, in terms of restoring the exterior to its original appearance:

Not sure, but when they took the brick off it became apparent that some of the concrete detailing of the facade underneath was banged up in years past. I've been wondering if they would fix this, and it sounds from this as if they will.

Page 15 discusses the extent of restoration, and says something about "an exploration of the feasability of the removal of the ground-level masonry veneer...will be made." But unless this refers to something else, that brick has already been removed, so it sounds like it was, indeed, feasible?

It sounds good, but the proof will be in the execution, I guess.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 8:29 PM

It will probably turn out looking pretty nice, certainly much better than it looks now.

Looking at the Tramway in the background of this pic taken in the 1950s from HRM, you can see how the parging allowed them to add detail to the mid to upper levels. Now that it has been removed, I suspect that they will only be smoothing out the existing and applying some kind of finish over it. While not as nice as the original, it would still be an improvement. I'm happy to see this building finally get some attention, and more residential in the downtown area will be a good thing.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
It will probably turn out looking pretty nice, certainly much better than it looks now.

Looking at the Tramway in the background of this pic taken in the 1950s from HRM, you can see how the parging allowed them to add detail to the mid to upper levels. Now that it has been removed, I suspect that they will only be smoothing out the existing and applying some kind of finish over it. While not as nice as the original, it would still be an improvement. I'm happy to see this building finally get some attention, and more residential in the downtown area will be a good thing.
Man, what a great photo. There's some terrific period detail in the lower half. I just love that stuff!

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Man, what a great photo. There's some terrific period detail in the lower half. I just love that stuff!
I was digging the 'snapshot out of a day in the life of the average Haligonian' vibe of the photo as well. Lots of things to pick out in that pic.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 1:23 AM

Quote:
I'm not feeling particularly live alive today, but at least we're in step on the dates. Now we just have to stay out of the crossfire while we walk the tightrope.
Missed that the first time around. Good job.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Missed that the first time around. Good job.
Well, I just love me some Stevie Ray. I wish he'd lived long enough to get back to Halifax for a show in better conditions than that awful sonic fiasco that was the Metro Centre in its early days.

I commented to a friend the other day that Stevie Ray, Roy Buchanan and Tom Petty all died shortly after I'd seen them. He said, "So, have you ever asked yourself whether maybe there's a connection?" With friends like that...

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Well, I just love me some Stevie Ray. I wish he'd lived long enough to get back to Halifax for a show in better conditions than that awful sonic fiasco that was the Metro Centre in its early days.

I commented to a friend the other day that Stevie Ray, Roy Buchanan and Tom Petty all died shortly after I'd seen them. He said, "So, have you ever asked yourself whether maybe there's a connection?" With friends like that...
It was a cruel irony, and a loss to the music world that it happened just as he got his life back together - I suspect his best work was yet to come.

Note to self: create a list of artists to see before Saul Goode attends their concerts...

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:38 PM

Quote:
It was a cruel irony, and a loss to the music world that it happened just as he got his life back together - I suspect his best work was yet to come.
Cruelly ironic indeed. Funny thing about rock bands...same thing happened to Lynyrd Skynyrd, and also in a plane crash to boot. Several of the members had cleaned themselves up and they'd just released one of their best albums, which - again ironically - included a signature autobiographical tune about getting clean before the life kills you. But you probably know all that.

On the plus side, SRV's Double Trouble bandmates weren't aboard the chopper that night, and I had the good fortune to see them backing up Kenny Wayne Shepherd one memorable summer night at the late, lamented Dutchie festival in Truro...but I digress yet again.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Cruelly ironic indeed. Funny thing about rock bands...same thing happened to Lynyrd Skynyrd, and also in a plane crash to boot. Several of the members had cleaned themselves up and they'd just released one of their best albums, which - again ironically - included a signature autobiographical tune about getting clean before the life kills you. But you probably know all that.

On the plus side, SRV's Double Trouble bandmates weren't aboard the chopper that night, and I had the good fortune to see them backing up Kenny Wayne Shepherd one memorable summer night at the late, lamented Dutchie festival in Truro...but I digress yet again.
Yes, LS is another example. Actually, when you start to think of it, the number of musicians (and other famous people) who died in small aircraft or charter flights is quite staggering.

I never had the pleasure of attending a Dutchie festival, nor to see KWS live - I'm sure it was amazing.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Back to topic (lol), here are a couple more shots from 1959-ish showing the Tramway in the background and some of the original detail that existed then. It would be nice if the new project included reinstating that detail, as it was part of Andrew Cobb's design. I imagine, as this type of concrete construction was relatively new, that his concern was to break up the bare concrete surfaces to give visual interest, and IMHO the finished project would definitely benefit from this detail.

Source

Source

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Back to topic (lol), here are a couple more shots from 1959-ish showing the Tramway in the background and some of the original detail that existed then. It would be nice if the new project included reinstating that detail, as it was part of Andrew Cobb's design. I imagine, as this type of concrete construction was relatively new, that his concern was to break up the bare concrete surfaces to give visual interest, and IMHO the finished project would definitely benefit from this detail.]
Aside from the Tramway aspect, those are another couple of nice 1950s "day in the life of the city" shots. Neat to see the old Garrick Theatre just a few years before it morphed into Neptune, showing a couple of 1958 films - helps date the photo too.

Also, "New Service Restaurant"? How catchy a name is that? Pretty slick marketing back then...

Last edited by Saul Goode; May 12, 2021 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 12:05 AM

The big bunker building owned by the Lawens on Grafton Street is in the process of being demolished!

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 4:22 AM

Best news I've heard all day!

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 4:52 PM

Just wanted to say, these old photos are really neat - thanks to those who find and share!

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post
And the new Queen Street intersection. Now, coming down Queen you need to stop and turn left to continue onto Queen. When you are going up Queen (from Spring Garden), you can now only turn right onto Sackville.
Was here again last week and I'm confused about part of this because it seems like they have added dead space with no purpose?
Does anyone know what this might be for?

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 1:03 AM
Closed account

It’s traffic calming and reduces crossing distance for pedestrians. Similar to other curb-and-bollard projects around town, they’re temporary to see how they work, and then would be implemented more permanently in future street recaps.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post
Was here again last week and I'm confused about part of this because it seems like they have added dead space with no purpose?
Does anyone know what this might be for?
If you look closely, you can see a drain where HRM disposes of excess tax dollars via projects like this. These serve no other practical purpose.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 6:24 PM

This is going to be one dark building. The cladding is visible on the bottom right.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 2:00 PM

Wow... hopefully the entire building won't be done in black cladding...

Old Posted May 23, 2021, 3:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Wow... hopefully the entire building won't be done in black cladding...
I have my thoughts about the white/grey/black/faux wood colour combination that's so prolific right now, but at least there's variety. All-black composite panels look so severe. At least when someone paints a Victorian black there's some interest in the detail still.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth