HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #17021  
Old Posted May 10, 2021, 5:54 PM
MonkeyRonin's Avatar
MonkeyRonin MonkeyRonin is offline
¥ ¥ ¥
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,667
RIP to Jasonzed from Urban Toronto. I've been enjoying (and re-posting) his aerial photography of Toronto & Mississauga neighbourhoods, construction sites, and skylines for years now. Just learned that he passed away last week - this was his final post:









https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/jasonzeds-mydrone-activity-of-toronto-and-area.20755/page-161
__________________
     
     
  #17022  
Old Posted May 10, 2021, 5:55 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That view of Halifax is interesting yet one of the least flattering angles you could find of downtown. Most of the surviving surface parking is there and that's the only parkade like that (there are many but generally hidden within the bowels of larger complexes; no surprise that the ugliest one was built by the municipality!).

Halifax is really not a monumental city with a downtown that offers sweeping vistas. It's mostly a blob of fine-grained medium-scale stuff. If you have a cube of buildings of mostly roughly the same height, from outside it just looks like a wall of whatever the closest buildings are.
Until I scrolled right to see the parts off my screen at first glance, I couldn't even place that as Halifax. Very unusual angle to my eyes.
     
     
  #17023  
Old Posted May 10, 2021, 6:10 PM
905er's Avatar
905er 905er is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,417
[QUOTE=MonkeyRonin;9275257]RIP to Jasonzed from Urban Toronto. I've been enjoying (and re-posting) his aerial photography of Toronto & Mississauga neighbourhoods, construction sites, and skylines for years now. Just learned that he passed away last week - this was his final post:


I'm really going to miss his Mississauga pics. He was such an amazing contributor and from all accounts seemed like a great guy. I found that like myself he had a lot of civic pride in Sauga' and he really showcased it well. Rest peacefully Jason. You will be missed.
     
     
  #17024  
Old Posted May 10, 2021, 6:29 PM
Doady's Avatar
Doady Doady is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,166
Wow, sad to hear of Jasonzed's passing. Being another Mississauga guy, I also enjoyed his contributions on UrbanToronto before I was banned from there. His photos are the only thing I miss about UrbanToronto, and I wish I could have continued to see them.
     
     
  #17025  
Old Posted May 10, 2021, 7:06 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
My little baby being the model queen she is


By me
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #17026  
Old Posted May 10, 2021, 7:12 PM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
RIP to Jasonzed from Urban Toronto. I've been enjoying (and re-posting) his aerial photography of Toronto & Mississauga neighbourhoods, construction sites, and skylines for years now. Just learned that he passed away last week - this was his final post:
Sorry to hear this. Condolences to his family and friends.
     
     
  #17027  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 1:55 AM
Sonog Sonog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 318

@jefrosonic
     
     
  #17028  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:24 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
RIP to Jasonzed from Urban Toronto. I've been enjoying (and re-posting) his aerial photography of Toronto & Mississauga neighbourhoods, construction sites, and skylines for years now. Just learned that he passed away last week - this was his final post:









https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/jasonzeds-mydrone-activity-of-toronto-and-area.20755/page-161
RIP to Jasonzed , that is very sad news. I'm glad he was able to share some of his last images with us.
     
     
  #17029  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:26 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842

May Sunset by Chadillaccc, on Flickr
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #17030  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:32 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
ハルウララ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,853
Wow, RIP to Jason. I had been reposting a lot of his photos here from UT recently. Awful news.
     
     
  #17031  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 6:06 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
RIP to Jasonzed , that is very sad news. I'm glad he was able to share some of his last images with us.
very sad.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #17032  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 8:37 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
From the Civic Hospital, looking north towards Wellington West and Tunney's Pasture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
I love the scale and design of this building. Looks awesome from many different angles including this one I took from the Civic Hospital stairwell. Simple execution but well done.

     
     
  #17033  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:36 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
     
     
  #17034  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:53 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138



(my pops)
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #17035  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:30 AM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
     
     
  #17036  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:46 AM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I like everything in Montreal's skyline save for this one, which I think greatly detracts from the overall aesthetic of the skyline. That salmon-coloured cladding and those puke green windows are cringeworthy and represent some of the worst of the pomo design trends of the 1980s. As I kid I couldn't articulate it, but I knew instinctively how wrong these buildings were every time we got off the Gardiner and were confronted by this: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6413592,-...QGzIB_DbmdAbfFUJ0v-Wg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
     
     
  #17037  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 6:56 AM
Marshal Marshal is offline
perhaps . . .
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
My little baby being the model queen she is


By me
Hey Chad! And who's to blame for making her that way?
     
     
  #17038  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 12:19 PM
SkahHigh's Avatar
SkahHigh SkahHigh is offline
More transit please
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I like everything in Montreal's skyline save for this one, which I think greatly detracts from the overall aesthetic of the skyline. That salmon-coloured cladding and those puke green windows are cringeworthy and represent some of the worst of the pomo design trends of the 1980s. As I kid I couldn't articulate it, but I knew instinctively how wrong these buildings were every time we got off the Gardiner and were confronted by this: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6413592,-...QGzIB_DbmdAbfFUJ0v-Wg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
The cladding on 1000 DLG isn't salmon green, it's grey. The photo is making it look that way.
     
     
  #17039  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 12:37 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is offline
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I like everything in Montreal's skyline save for this one, which I think greatly detracts from the overall aesthetic of the skyline. That salmon-coloured cladding and those puke green windows are cringeworthy and represent some of the worst of the pomo design trends of the 1980s. As I kid I couldn't articulate it, but I knew instinctively how wrong these buildings were every time we got off the Gardiner and were confronted by this: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6413592,-...QGzIB_DbmdAbfFUJ0v-Wg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
That's kind of surprising to me. While pomo is not one of my favourite styles, 1000 RLB is one example that I really enjoy.
__________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
Don't ask people not to debate a topic. Just stop making debatable assertions. Problem solved.
     
     
  #17040  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 1:41 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
That's kind of surprising to me. While pomo is not one of my favourite styles, 1000 RLB is one example that I really enjoy.
I think it's aging much better than the vast majority of pomo skyscrapers. And I can't imagine Montreal's skyline without it. I like its silhouette.

I also don't see any pink in its granite cladding, contrary to this one...

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.5015765,-...itch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:46 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.