HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 12:36 AM

For plots to fill in and taller towers:

For 1st South:
Arrow Press Square - Hotel and Apartments
Zions Bank parking lot

Cascade - 255' currently planned height
NW Corner 1st South 2nd East

2nd South:
West Quarter Phase 2 - 375' currently planned height
175 S West Temple (NE Corner West Temple and 200 S)
Holiday Inn Express
SE Corner West Temple and 200 South
SE Corner 200 W and 200 South - Across from the AC Hotel

Other locations:
250 South West Temple (Parking behind Peery Hotel)
NE, SE, SW corners 300 S and West Temple
Anywhere on the 4th South parking lot block
NE Corner 4th South and State
NW corner 4th South and 2nd East
NE Corner 5th South and Main

Any of the bold locations above would allow for a 500' - 600' tower and have it blend in easily. Many of the others either already have a tower announced or while being a good location, currently wouldn't allow the taller height to blend into the skyline as easily from some angles.

There are many more locations as well that would work but this is just a few off the top of my head that would be great for taller towers.

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 6:06 AM

CINQ - Commercial Building Permit

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

The CINQ development has filed a Commercial Building Permit.

Quote:
New 203 unit Multi-Family project with existing Central Warehouse.
The project has already received Planning Commission approval.

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 6:34 AM

Twenty Ones - Commercial Demolition Permits

A ton of Commercial Demolition permits have been filed for the Twenty Ones project:

2131 E 2100 S

2041 S 2100 E

2151 E 2100 S

2165 E 2100 S

2115 E 2100 S

2077 S 2100 E

2115 E 2100 S

2149 E 2100 S

2029 S 2100 E

2131 E 2100 S

2153 E 2100 S

Modifications to the Twenty Ones Design Review is on the agenda for the next Planning Commission Meeting on May 12.

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 8:16 AM

The weather was nice today so I went for a walk and took some pictures.

Hyatt Regency:

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 11:08 AM

144 South Apartments - Commercial Building Permit

Address - 144 S 500 E

Project Description:

Quote:
A five story wood structure with 110 residential apartment units over a concrete podium parking structure.
I actually personally had no idea this project was planned.

I found a SLC RDA PDF for affordable housing that included the project.

PROJECT SUMMARY:
Quote:
From Application – “The project's unique design will create housing, office and retail in one building. The first floor of the building will contain a small neighborhood retail space for a coffee shop or other small retail use. The second floor will contain co-working space for tenants who live in the building as well as amenities including a club house, exercise facility and large outdoor patio space. The upper floors will be a mix of housing units and smaller outdoor patio spaces. The Project will include 110 units, including 53 studios (450 square feet), 48 urban one-bedroom units (570 square feet), and 9 one-bedroom units (600 or greater square feet).”
DEVELOPER SUMMARY:
Quote:
From Application –“ Peter Corroon and his brother Christopher Corroon started a non-profit, Green Street Partners, in 2000 to build their first affordable housing project, the Sophie Apartments, a low-income housing tax credit project at 924 South 200 West. The Corroons recently completed Cornell Place, off Redwood Road and North Temple, a 146-unit project where 90% of the units serve residents between 40%-60% of Area Median Income. Peter Corroon is also the development manager for the Centro Civico Senior Housing project being built behind the Gateway shopping center. This project will include 61 units of senior housing with 80% of the units set aside. as affordable. EMG Management will manage the project. They have experience managing hundreds of affordable housing units throughout Utah.”

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 11:23 AM

Pendelton Place

The same SLC RDA PDF included a second project.

Address: 1725 S. Jefferson Street

Project Name: Pendelton Place

Developer: Housing Assistance Management Enterprise (HAME) and A Tall Order/HomeInn

Project Summary:
Quote:
From Application – “This 74-unit shared housing model complex will serve individuals in need of alternative forms of affordable housing. This includes those in need of low-rent, deeply affordable apartments with onsite property management and services.This site will provide low-income individuals an opportunity for truly affordable housing and the ability to prevent
homelessness, reducing shelter impacts. This project helps to answer a long sought-after community need and provides an alternative pathway to housing. The partnerships formulated to bring this project forward make it uniquely positioned to provide new options and opportunities to stabilize and receive services as we march forward into unprecedented times that call for innovative responses to suitable stable housing. This project has easy access to two bus routes and is within a mile of a TRAX stop.

This affordable complex is a joint venture with A Tall Order Foundation/Home Inn who will provide onsite property management and services...(continues (see PDF for more details))
Developer Summary:
Quote:
From Application (Housing Assistance Management Enterprise) – “HASLC's primary mission is to provide affordable housing and has achieved great success with that effort in Salt Lake County over the last 50 years. HASLC provides housing directly or indirectly to almost 9,000 income-eligible seniors, children and adults, and special populations such as homeless, disabled, victims of domestic violence and Veterans. The Housing Authority is arms-length from the City and relies primarily on dwindling federal domestic funding to provide housing affordability which, in most cases, changes lives by providing a base for child development, gainful employment, or stability in many key areas. As a means to offset dwindling federal funding, HASLC owns a vast portfolio to address the aforementioned populations. As of 2021, HASLC will have a portfolio of nearly 2000 units of affordable housing within Salt Lake City proper, many of which were developed by HASLC or it's instrumentalities.”

From Application (HomeInn and A Tall Order) – “We provide affordable ($250-$450) transitional housing, successfully combating homelessness in Utah. For over 19 years, HomeInn and A Tall Order Foundation have operated under Utah Innkeeper and Federal Fair Housing laws, allowing for immediate account-ability for all residents. Our residents know that all rules are fair, but strictly enforced. Because of a shortage of low-cost housing and the high demand to get into one of our facilities our residents know that there are as many as 100 prospective residents on the waiting list at any given time. All residents have the option to participate in "Guest Task" (work that reduces rent) and "Give Back" (donated hours anywhere in the community) programs, which provide for very clean facilities and reduced overhead, allowing us to pass those savings on in lower rents. We hire only residents from within our facilities and train them in management, janitorial, maintenance, and office/bookkeeping duties. When these individuals are hired we classify them as “essential” positions, allowing our residents approved extended-stay options and a new skill to add to their resume. We also offer yearly leases to those who qualify for and de-sire them.”

Site Map

Project Rendering

Does anyone know anything else or something new about this project?

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 12:13 PM

Jefferson Court - Planned Development

Address: 850 S Jefferson Street

Quote:
Planned Development to allow for 5 dwelling units
An interesting small project has filed Planned Development documents with the city this week.

From what I can tell, the project will take a property currently occupied by 1 single family house. It will keep that house, build a second single family house to the south and behind both build 3 townhouses.

Renderings

It will be interesting to see if the project is successful, since it could become a unique model for greater density on similar properties.

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 3:45 PM
of SLC

Great photos, RC14. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

And imo, SLC already has a skyline on par with Phoenix and I like our proposals more than theirs. The exception is perhaps their 500+ ft "Astra" tower, which I would love to see in SLC.
SLC doesn't feel on par with Phoenix to me and Emporis stats seem to agree, I've also lived in both cities. If I'm being totally honest I don't see much difference between SLC and PHX proposals, I mean Central Station and Kensington look nearly identical. I think they're both great cities and have their own unique attributes for being so but don't see them on the same level in most areas personally.

Completed Buildings over 200' via Emporis:
SLC: 31
PHX: 50

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 12:13 AM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Completed Buildings over 200' via Emporis:
SLC: 31
PHX: 50
So pretty comparable, yeah? I mean, compare those numbers with Denver or Seattle. Also, I agree with what Comrade said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade
I think SLC's skyline is only on par with Phoenix because theirs is spread out between two clusters. I do think if everything was centralized, it would look way better than it does.
Phoenix does have the edge but visually the downtowns are pretty similar right now. I think they are going to stay that way, based on what's being built and proposed right now.

Last edited by Atlas; May 3, 2021 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 12:24 AM

Personally, I think its silly and waaayy too early to compare Salt Lake City to Phoenix.

According to the 2019 estimate as part of the List of metropolitan statistical areas on Wikipedia:

Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler, AZ MSA is the 10th largest metro in the US with a population of 4,948,203

Salt Lake City, UT MSA is the 47th largest metro in the US with a population of 1,232,696

Phoenix as a metro has 4 TIMES as many people as Salt Lake does. Its population is larger than Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego, Denver, etc.

The fact that there is currently only a 19 tower difference between the two skylines based on this is shocking and shows just how much more suburban Phoenix is compared with Salt Lake (which is already very suburban).

Its also why I think Salt Lake punches ABOVE its weight in towers, especially for a western city.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 12:31 AM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Personally, I think its silly and waaayy too early to compare Salt Lake City to Phoenix.

According to the 2019 estimate as part of the List of metropolitan statistical areas on Wikipedia:

Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler, AZ MSA is the 10th largest metro in the US with a population of 4,948,203

Salt Lake City, UT MSA is the 47th largest metro in the US with a population of 1,232,696

Phoenix as a metro has 4 TIMES as many people as Salt Lake does. Its population is larger than Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego, Denver, etc.

The fact that there is currently only a 19 tower difference between the two skylines based on this is shocking and shows just how much more suburban Phoenix is compared with Salt Lake (which is already very suburban).

Its also why I think Salt Lake punches ABOVE its weight in towers, especially for a western city.
Have you driven across “Phoenix?” It’s like driving from Ogden to Provo. The “cities” are comparable if you include all the suburbs. Salt Lake's population numbers have always been skewed compared to other metros because of geographic limits.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Have you driven across “Phoenix?” It’s like driving from Ogden to Provo. The “cities” are comparable if you include all the suburbs. Salt Lake's population numbers have always been skewed compared to other metros because of geographic limits.
Not really. The Salt Lake City–Provo–Orem Combined Statistical Area in 2014 was 2,423,912 (prob around 2.6 million today). That still makes the entirety of Salt Lake with everything around it in the surrounding 10 counties HALF as populous as Phoenix's aprox. 5 million inhabitants.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 1:53 AM
Space Magi

Phoenix went through its boomtown phase during the height of automobile-centric planning and expansion, so it just doesn't have the substantial, dense core that older cities of its size do (like say, Philadelphia).

Unfortunately, SLC has done a pretty good job in the post-war era of demolishing much of its historic core for the same reasons. What remains is still pretty great though, and I think downtown is starting to make a serious rebound even despite the pandemic. Phoenix is also a hot market, which is great.

In terms of future towers, here are a few factors:
  • Phoenix is a substantially bigger city/market, so it has a greater capacity for larger and more numerous projects. It will be exciting to see Phoenix build upward and try to play catch-up with the other big cities.
  • The Salt Lake Valley is quickly running out of land, so more dense development is going to have to fill the demand and that's already happening. It already feels denser to me (in general) than the Denver metro, for example, which feels like it has an infinite amount of open space to expand into.
  • I think Salt Lake has always been held back, to an extent, by its tee-totaler reputation and as the capital of Mormonism (not casting aspersions, that's just the truth). This is changing fast and its profile moving up in the national consciousness because of its quality of life and unparalleled access to outdoor recreation.
  • Downtown SLC has no FAA-imposed height restrictions like Phoenix does.
  • SLC has a pretty good rail transit network already, which favors denser TOD.
  • Phoenix will always be popular with retirees and other people who hate snow and/or love golf, so that bodes well for its continued growth.
  • Both cities will probably be affected negatively by water supply issues in the coming century.

Last edited by Atlas; May 3, 2021 at 2:42 AM.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 2:42 AM
One Thing At A Time

So we have 1/2 the population and 3/5 the buildings over 200 feet. Yay us!

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Have you driven across “Phoenix?” It’s like driving from Ogden to Provo. The “cities” are comparable if you include all the suburbs.
The difference is the Wasatch Front is 80-100 miles North to South but only 10 miles East to West at its widest point. Phoenix spreads out in all directions.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 6:55 AM
One Thing At A Time

Yeah. My wife’s family is in Gilbert so I spend a lot of time there. I think that anyone considers the entire valley one city is absolutely ridiculous. I’ll take Salt Lake’s downtown over Phoenix any day. Population statistics be damned.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 9:00 AM

Sugar House Projects

So with Alta Terra getting proposed recently, I thought I would make another one of these project collages for the Sugar House Neighborhood.

I included two separate pages with the first showing the project renderings and the second including some info on each project. Let me know if you prefer this way of doing things compared with my tower collage.

Note: since Dixon Place is now accepting tenants, I chose to leave it out since it is now considered 'completed.'

Larger/ Original Versions:

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 4:27 PM
Space Magi

Nice graphic. That's ~1600 new units in the pipeline for Sugar House alone!

Curious to see what the TwentyOnes facade changes will be. Also, I don't think the Alta Terra project has any retail, or Sugarmont for that matter.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 7:47 PM

Japantown's revitalization plans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPspBz6lkug

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West