HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 10:05 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_Bane View Post

But Adams says Urban Development Institute of Nova Scotia isn't looking for more land to be available for development.

Instead, he says the way money is distributed through the government is a barrier.

“When the federal government gives monies to the municipality and they have to give them to not-for-profits, that encumbers what the builders and developers can do,” he says.

In December 2020, the federal and provincial governments announced a combined investment of $10.5 million into creating 52 affordable housing units in Halifax.

The North End Community Health Association was to receive $1.2 million to create 10 units, but Adams says that's "not the way to do things."

He says a request for proposal (RFP) with specific standards and requirements should be created putting the money into the private sector. Then, the terms can be handed over to the not-for-profits to run the buildings.
It just looks to me like he wants his whining clique of exploitative developers to profit from not-for-profit housing. Don’t let this false-hearted sellout fool you; Adams doesn’t give a hoot about affordability. Going to work for UDI immediately after leaving office shows who really does the talking.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 10:43 AM

Yeah that was a strange article. The headline is about "running out of land" but the article is about how the UDI wants its members to be given federal housing money.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
It just looks to me like he wants his whining clique of exploitative developers to profit from not-for-profit housing. Don’t let this false-hearted sellout fool you; Adams doesn’t give a hoot about affordability. Going to work for UDI immediately after leaving office shows who really does the talking.
Well, someone is profiting from the handouts regardless. The people running the North End group are presumably not working for free. Neither are the contractors they hire to design and build the structures.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 6:26 PM

Let us not forget the not-for-profit housing group near the MacDonald bridge which went belly up and never paid the contractors for all the government funded renovations. The contractors lost well north of six figures. A former councillor headed up the organisation and the books were a mess.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Let us not forget the not-for-profit housing group near the MacDonald bridge which went belly up and never paid the contractors for all the government funded renovations. The contractors lost well north of six figures. A former councillor headed up the organisation and the books were a mess.
I’m sure this sort of thing will make contractors etc that much more enthusiastic about participating in any future efforts.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 12:51 AM

3 excavators were being unloaded tonight into the former national radiator lot, beside old lion's head tavern. Expect to see the tavern gone by tomorrow.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 7:21 PM

Bruno Builders is renovating 65 King Street in Dartmouth (the old Super 8).

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
That's good news. They always do good work. I assume it will stay as apartments?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 7:36 PM

Quote:
And originally known as the Maranova Suites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
That's good news. They always do good work. I assume it will stay as apartments?
I hope for the best. I'm sure the interior needs it. The few times I was in it (in the 80s and 90s) it reminded me of nothing so much as a dark, dank concrete mausoleum.

Sadly, I doubt there's a lot anyone could do to improve the exterior of that turd of a building.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Apr 14, 2021 at 9:40 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Construction permits been issued for 6459 Bayers Road.
The crane is going up here today. The one that just came down at Harbour Isle.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
The crane is going up here today. The one that just came down at Harbour Isle.
Is that this one?

They need a crane that large for this?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Is that this one?

They need a crane that large for this?
Oops, quoted the wrong post. I don’t think it has a thread but probably should due to the size. I’ll do some searching and re-quote.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeEtc View Post
All buildings now gone and crane base was installed yesterday on the lot of former 6438-6463 Bayers Rd (area between Dr Piano and catholic church)
This is the one with the crane going up.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
This is the one with the crane going up.
Nope, this is across the street from the crane.

Crane is on the even numbered side of the street.

6459 is a lot where a bungalow stood last year, and is just a hole in the ground right now. Google Street View.

Lot with crane is from Case 20658. https://www.halifax.ca/media/41871

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeEtc View Post
Nope, this is across the street from the crane.

Crane is on the even numbered side of the street.

6459 is a lot where a bungalow stood last year, and is just a hole in the ground right now. Google Street View.

Lot with crane is from Case 20658. https://www.halifax.ca/media/41871
Yes, that is the site, near Dr. Piano as referenced from your post I quoted. Continues to Young.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 6:41 PM

The "friends of" people are keeping active...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...roup-1.5988717

Quote:
Members of the group Friends of the Halifax Common have told a Nova Scotia legislative committee that construction of a new pool should not be permitted on the green space until the public is consulted.

They believe too much of the Common is being eroded.

"Parking garages, a soccer stadium, the Oval and now an aquatic centre," said David Garrett, co-chair of the group, noting a number of changes over the years to the popular public space in central Halifax. "Perhaps they are necessary in this location, perhaps not."

The city wants to revamp the outdoor pool area at the Common. Construction of a new pool, splash pad and changing facility could cost $16.2 million.

But the project cannot proceed until the provincial legislation governing the Halifax Common is amended. The legislature's law amendments committee heard presentations on the proposed changes on Thursday morning. Alan Ruffman, the other co-chair of Friends of the Halifax Common, also argued against approving Bill 103.
Yes, because, like, why would we want The Commons to be used and enjoyed by the public? A new pool? Blasphemous... a blank green lawn would be better...

This is just getting silly.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 6:43 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Nobody has consulted the sheep and cows. Originally they had the run of this whole area but they have been sidelined in the discussions.

The pool is not even a new thing being added, it's an update.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Nobody has consulted the sheep and cows. Originally they had the run of this whole area but they have been sidelined in the discussions.

The pool is not even a new thing being added, it's an update.
I don't think ol' Pegs will be happy until the whole peninsula is returned to farmland.

I'm surprised they aren't advocating on behalf of "Friends of the Run Down Sprinkler Pad on the Commons". Modernizing existing facilities? How could this be considered a bad thing? Why does CBC give these people the time of day?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Consulting sheep and cows would be a ba-aa-aa-ad idea. I mean, it's a moooooo-t point, really.

Okay, somebody had to start with the lame jokes. Consider it a pre-emptive strike.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Apr 15, 2021 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 9:01 PM

For anyone not familar, this is what they are planning for the new pool:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth