HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 3:50 PM

That glass 🤤

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
You know if you just add L just before the jpg it makes the image smaller.
I add a h to make them smaller. I find the forum a bit to outdated for the original form.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:44 AM

That is very reflective glass. Kind of wonder how much light and added heat it will blast towards the south on a hot summer day? And then there is the day long shadow it will cast over the beautiful old homes directly to the north. Everything about this building is unsettling to me.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 4:05 PM

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
That is very reflective glass. Kind of wonder how much light and added heat it will blast towards the south on a hot summer day? And then there is the day long shadow it will cast over the beautiful old homes directly to the north. Everything about this building is unsettling to me.
they have ways of minimizing heat reflection. the stories you hear about building setting cars on fire (lol) are all concave glass panels as well which the industry is now very aware the hazards of

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post

The first and especially the second picture almost makes me want to cry. What were they thinking?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 6:23 PM

Quote:
The first and especially the second picture almost makes me want to cry. What were they thinking?
They were thinking that it's an urban neighborhood where we build skyscrapers.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 6:26 PM

Yep. Downtown in a booming city. We have enough development restrictions as it is, a skyscraper being across the street from an old house shouldn't be relevant.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 6:38 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
You know that old house in front is *also* an office buildings now right?

Its the Texas Classroom Teachers Association offices. The *vast* majority of those old houses on the West-end of downtown are offices and have been for some time.

6th and Guad is pretty prime downtown spot and I'm not sure we need to keep anything that can cast a shadow on a 150 year old neighborhood as the litmus test for if a development is allowed or not.

This building had 350 homes in it. We need more homes, so this is great.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
Yep. Downtown in a booming city. We have enough development restrictions as it is, a skyscraper being across the street from an old house shouldn't be relevant.
Here's a picture article about those "old houses" in question. Different strokes for different folks. https://theculturetrip.com/north-ame...bremond-block/

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 6:45 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Here's a picture article about those "old houses" in question. Different strokes for different folks. https://theculturetrip.com/north-ame...bremond-block/
But that house isn't being torn down.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
But that house isn't being torn down.
The entire block is likely to be shrouded in shade for most of the day. The view from the street behind the massive parking structure is mostly gone. It isn't just that one house (or re-purposed office building). It is an entire block of some of the finest existing late 19th Century architecture in the state that enjoyed a fabulous urban setting that is now significantly degraded. We could have done so much better.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 7:11 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
The entire block is likely to be shrouded in shade for most of the day. The view from the street behind the massive parking structure is mostly gone. It isn't just that one house (or re-purposed office building). It is an entire block of some of the finest existing late 19th Century architecture in the state that enjoyed a fabulous urban setting that is now significantly degraded. We could have done so much better.
The shadow actually isn't that bad on that block, at least not in Spring/Summer.

https://www.suncalc.org/#/30.2696,-9...12/13:51/256/3

The shadows are mostly going to be really long on the East/West axis. Should hit the block around noon and be (mostly) gone by 3.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 7:30 PM

Quote:

I'd have to agree with the other folks. Dense, urban areas should not hinder their growth simply due to casting shadows over other buildings. We already have the Capitol View Corridor in place to maintain its visibility, and I think that is all we need (obviously, as long as infrastructure can support projected traffic increase). Austin is in desperate need for more residential and commercial space to accommodate its growth, so I think this is very exciting to see! Not to mention that it's beautifully designed and will drastically reshape Austin's fast-growing skyline.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 7:52 PM

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
They were thinking that it's an urban neighborhood where we build skyscrapers.
If that house is sooo unique perhaps think of it this way, someone may now see it twice in its reflection by a super unique glass building facade... that is unless you preferred the parking lot of an extended stay hotel LOL. The dead palm tree is the saddest thing in that photo.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J78704 View Post
If that house is sooo unique perhaps think of it this way, someone may now see it twice in its reflection by a super unique glass building facade... that is unless you preferred the parking lot of an extended stay hotel LOL. The dead palm tree is the saddest thing in that photo.
You sound like somebody who would have cheered when they pulled down Penn Station, but I digress. Meanwhile, there probably won't be any reflection bouncing off the rear of that hideous parking podium. I'm pretty sure that side of the building gets the bargain basement treatment.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 8:25 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
You sound like somebody who would have cheered when they pulled down Penn Station, but I digress. Meanwhile, there probably won't be any reflection bouncing off the rear of that hideous parking podium. I'm pretty sure that side of the building gets the bargain basement treatment.
But, Penn Station was destroyed and no longer exists. So far we've lost a :checks notes: Extended Stay America.

Grand Central on the other hand has a mega-tall going up right next door and is still really nice to look at.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 8:33 PM

Quote:
The shadow actually isn't that bad on that block, at least not in Spring/Summer.

https://www.suncalc.org/#/30.2696,-9...12/13:51/256/3

The shadows are mostly going to be really long on the East/West axis. Should hit the block around noon and be (mostly) gone by 3.
The suncalc tool is pretty cool, but it looks like you've got it set for 171m or 561 feet. The actual building is projected to be 848 feet and the length of it will run from east/west basically for most of the block. I suspect a the result will be a longer shadow and a more long lasting shadow that will likely impact at least 2/3rds of the Bremond block for a significant part of the day year round. Look, to put this little dust-up to bed, I understand that folks on a skyscraper fan site are going to be very much in favor of just about any building that tickles the sky, especially one that promises to be the tallest in the game. I get it. I also know that not that many people take an interest (sadly) in preserving places like the Bremond block, especially not if it interferes with building new skyscrapers. I am also a fan of dramatic skylines and tall buildings. I get kind of excited every time I view the growing Austin skyline from afar. It's up close and personal that I start to have reservations. I go downtown regularly to check up on the progress of various projects. It's really the only business I have downtown these days. Anyway, what I am seeing from a street level is pretty mediocre overall. I guess when things return to the new normal it might all fall into place. I expect to experience some "shock and awe" at the sight of the completed 6x6 Building, but I don't thinks I am going to find much love for it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk View Post
Dense, urban areas should not hinder their growth simply due to casting shadows over other buildings.
Srsly. Ever been to NYC? Entire streets of old buildings are in shade all day. It's part of being in a big city with skyscrapers.

The biggest complaint I have about this building is the featureless facade surrounding the parking garage. Hopefully the final design isn't as bland as The Independent.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 9:04 PM

Quote:
But, Penn Station was destroyed and no longer exists. So far we've lost a :checks notes: Extended Stay America.

Grand Central on the other hand has a mega-tall going up right next door and is still really nice to look at.
At least you once could stand on the bluff of West 7th and look out over the unlovely Extended Stay America and enjoy a sweeping view of a large swath of downtown. Now and forever more, not so much.

With regards to Grand Central. You may be too young to recall, but it almost met the same fate as Penn Station. Preservationists were galvanized in the aftermath of Penn Station's destruction and put an end of plans to "redevelop" the entire station complex and surrounding area. Nowadays there are so many super tall buildings in Midtown Manhattan that the huge skyscraper nearing completion on Vanderbilt Ave. is not likely to make much visual impact at street level. The proposed redevelopment of the Commodore Hotel property on the east side of Grand Central will probably just mean more of the same but also less light coming into the east windows of the waiting room. Yeah, the station is still there and gorgeous on the inside. It still looks pretty good from 42nd Street or from Park Ave South. There is that. One more digression. In 1968 I flew at night in a passenger helicopter to JFK Airport from the roof of the Pan Am (Met Life) Building which is atop the Grand Central complex. It was a heart stopping but very wonderful experience. The helicopter shuttle service was discontinued a year or two later after a fatal accident on the roof of the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin