Quote:
Originally Posted by eatboots
There is enough room at Alderhot to have a shunting yard and there is nothing around there but highway but I think the big problem is CN owns the rails from this yard to Niagara. Would it be better for Hamilton if it moved? 100% Would it be better for CN? I don't think they care.
|
For CN it is an expense and they will want big bucks to do it. CP wanted something on the order of a hundred million (or was it closer to two) to do that with the yard off Aberdeen when stadium locations were being debated and it got proposed as a site.
I seem to recall the idea of an Aldershot railyard being floated in the past, but vigorously opposed by locals.
There may be sites with enough open or former industrial land elsewhere in the city's north end, or farther east, where it could be moved. CN will want the money to pay for it but the public investment may be worthwhile.