HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7201  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 3:20 PM
kingkirbythe....'s Avatar
kingkirbythe.... kingkirbythe.... is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,594
A Hidden Railroad Relic Steams Toward Historic Status in Downtown Austin

https://austin.towers.net/a-hidden-railroad-relic-steams-toward-historic-status-in-downtown-austin/

In the shadow of the Independent, the downtown Austin condo tower taller than any other residential structure west of the Mississippi, you’ll find an unlikely relic of an unrecognizable past — the Third Street Railroad Trestle, an overgrown
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7202  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 9:46 PM
AusTxDevelopment AusTxDevelopment is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 808
Avenue Lofts are for sale. The sales brochure has a mock-up of what can be developed on the site. Towers had an article about the history of the Avenue Lofts: https://austin.towers.net/a-brief-history-of-downtown-austins-avenue-lofts/





Source: CBRE
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7203  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 10:28 PM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,601
Wow!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7204  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 10:46 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,832
Nice. Visions are always awesome as is this one. But our tower proposals pipeline is already ridiculously huge, and I just want to see a lot more of them break ground. The three Rainey towers under scrutiny at CC today are some of the best candidates for the next ground breakings, and they may end up being cancelled or indefinitely delayed (as proposed).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7205  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 11:19 PM
myBrain myBrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 710
Could be pretty cool if we get a corridor of towers lining 6th. Especially if they have a good street level presence. That Avenue Lofts stretch is basically a dead zone.

Of course, if it's residential or hotel they better invest in sound mitigation. I'd prefer to see office here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7206  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 11:42 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
I really like that design, though, I know it's no where near being definite.

Still, I would really hate to lose the Avenue Lofts. Austin doesn't have many examples of art-deco architecture. Heck, I think Miami Beach would be proud of a building like it. In fact, it's probably one of the most unique buildings on the whole east side of downtown, especially juxtaposed against all the new stucco hotels. Ironically, stucco is popular in Miami Beach.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7207  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 12:35 AM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,601
They’re definitely not marketing it with hospitality as one of the mixed uses. Sad, honestly... that’s a great parcel for a partial hotel use. Close to attractions, transit, the convention center...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7208  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 2:21 PM
StoOgE StoOgE is offline
Resident Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,320
The Avenue Lofts are a loss architecturally. I think its worth the discussion at least to preserve part of the facade.

This also feels like it needs to be office or hotel. No one is investing in sound proofing in this part of town and then the complaints start. I am all for more density in the area *and* I hate dirty 6th, but it is what it is and its part of the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7209  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 2:43 PM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
The Avenue Lofts are a loss architecturally. I think its worth the discussion at least to preserve part of the facade.

This also feels like it needs to be office or hotel. No one is investing in sound proofing in this part of town and then the complaints start. I am all for more density in the area *and* I hate dirty 6th, but it is what it is and its part of the city.
That part of the city doesn't currently support a lot of office space. I'm not sure why that is, but not hard to guess: a combo of heavy entertainment focus + the ARCH effect. Also CVCs get pretty prohibitive in that area, too, so new builds can be limited.

That said, I think the neighborhood would really benefit from a 9-5 worker cohort; I'm hoping whatever finally happens with the Carmelo's property the next block over brings some similar noise/funk.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7210  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 3:23 PM
StoOgE StoOgE is offline
Resident Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
That part of the city doesn't currently support a lot of office space. I'm not sure why that is, but not hard to guess: a combo of heavy entertainment focus + the ARCH effect. Also CVCs get pretty prohibitive in that area, too, so new builds can be limited.

That said, I think the neighborhood would really benefit from a 9-5 worker cohort; I'm hoping whatever finally happens with the Carmelo's property the next block over brings some similar noise/funk.
I think the CC has a part to play as well. Hopefully a redone more friendly CC will open up that part of town a bit. It has a very "this isn't for locals" vibe right now, I think some offices would help with that by bringing in a less "we're here to learn about this years totally redone widget system and get drunk" crowd. I rarely wind up in that part of the city for any real reason.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7211  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 6:34 PM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I think the CC has a part to play as well. Hopefully a redone more friendly CC will open up that part of town a bit.
I have a lot of optimism about the cc expansion process so far. That dead zone feeling you're talking about is real, but could really go away if they continue in the direction they've been headed in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7212  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 8:50 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,832
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7213  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 10:46 PM
kingkirbythe....'s Avatar
kingkirbythe.... kingkirbythe.... is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,594
That would be a sweet tower for Austin. I’d love to see more towers that dial down the glass a little bit for some other materials (except stucco). It has just the right amount of 1980’s.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7214  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 11:38 PM
Urbannizer's Avatar
Urbannizer Urbannizer is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin, TX / Portland,OR / Chicago, IL
Posts: 14,717
Very nice concept. Reminds me of something in New York or Toronto.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7215  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 11:41 PM
Urbannizer's Avatar
Urbannizer Urbannizer is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin, TX / Portland,OR / Chicago, IL
Posts: 14,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Will this one have first floor retail or restaurant space?
No mention of retail unfortunately. A prime spot for it.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7216  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 2:37 AM
myBrain myBrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
That would be a sweet tower for Austin. I’d love to see more towers that dial down the glass a little bit for some other materials (except stucco). It has just the right amount of 1980’s.
I could not agree more. I want to see more that brings in an earthy, naturalistic aesthetic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7217  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 3:41 AM
ahealy's Avatar
ahealy ahealy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio / Austin
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post

wow wow wooow wwwoooowwww. I reallllly hope something like this pops up in the skyline over the blue glass mania.... can one of y'all hold my clown makeup set while I get my red squeaky nose?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7218  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 6:51 PM
MichaelB MichaelB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North edge of Downtown
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I really like that design, though, I know it's no where near being definite.

Still, I would really hate to lose the Avenue Lofts. Austin doesn't have many examples of art-deco architecture. Heck, I think Miami Beach would be proud of a building like it. In fact, it's probably one of the most unique buildings on the whole east side of downtown, especially juxtaposed against all the new stucco hotels. Ironically, stucco is popular in Miami Beach.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7219  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 8:17 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
Towers has an article on the Avenue Lofts. This first rendering was included with it, which we haven't seen yet.

What I notice about it is the podium/base which is better than average. The massing, the setbacks, and even the windows remind me of the One American Center.

I'm counting 44 floors in this first design versus the 54 floors that are listed on the 2nd one below. Honestly, I like this first one more than the 2nd one. Granted, the 2nd design reminds me a bit of 98 Red River (the facade), but I think it's less interesting than this first one.

https://austin.towers.net/downtowns-avenue-lofts-condos-hit-the-market-with-redevelopment-in-mind/






Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Mar 30, 2021 at 8:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7220  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 8:50 PM
ohhey ohhey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 128
That's a nice design. Great massing and fenestration. Looks much more classic and grown-up that anything else proposed or being build right now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.