HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Interesting story of someone trying to buy the Utah Theatre in a last ditch effort to save it
Some info in there about how the contract with the developer is not yet finalized.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...OCrjiqfAjh8_Ag
Unless this guy can show a high net worth and sign a contract to restore it with progress starting soon, I would say hard pass. This is likely some guy who is scrapping money together to buy it and then will spend the next 10 years trying to persuade people like the Eccles to help pay for the rebuilding of it. No thanks.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 8:08 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriceWentUp View Post
Any updates on the Greek Orthodox Development?
Last I heard anything, which was probably 6-8 months ago at this point, it was still happening but it has been understandably slowed by the pandemic.

I hope it's still alive because I think it would be transformative for that area.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
That park has the potential to be dead because it is isolated, and you have to walk up to it. That garage is a barrier, and it's nice that they are trying to do something nice with it, but I really believe the City should require a through-block connection through that garage.
Council member Mano was unimpressed with their "Mid-block Connection" which requires climbing stairs up to the park and then taking stairs back down from the park (or elevators) to get from West Temple to Main St. If the park was something that drew people in it could be worthwhile. Seems like the new proposal to "buy" the theater is DOA so they really should work (spend) on making the park something people would actually go to on purpose for various reasons rather than some generic open space in the sky.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 1:21 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Last I heard anything, which was probably 6-8 months ago at this point, it was still happening but it has been understandably slowed by the pandemic.

I hope it's still alive because I think it would be transformative for that area.
Hopefully it stalls in its current form and forces a change to preserve the historic apartments behind the Greek church. Until that changes, tho, I will actively cheer this project to fail.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 11:16 AM

The Greek Orthodox Project had established a certain bar to be reached of financial contributions toward the project. The last I heard was that the LDS Church, the Huntsmans, and members of the Greek Orthodox community among others had already contributed substantially to the project. I don't recall the bar they had set or how close they are to meeting it at this point. When the project has gathered enough of a down payment contribution the project can move forward. The goal here is to create a cash cow that will sustain the Greek Orthodox Communion of the downtown area for the foreseeable future. The project will happen at some point and hopefully, there will be substantial adjustments to the designs facing 300 So. I would want those multi-story apartments on 300 S. to be restored. The problem is that they would have to be gutted in much the same way as the Brooks Arcade, pretty much rebuilt from the ground up in order to reach a safe seismic rating. That's the problem with so many of the charming structures that were built around the turn of the century. Their facade treatments were so beautiful yet their guts were not built to withstand the aging process let alone a 7-plus earthquake.

I just went through the teardown and complete rebuild of a portion of the historic home that I manage. Aging, water damage, antiquated construction techniques, termites, etc. over the decades had turned the bones into something deemed unsafe, and if not rebuilt the city would not allow the two sizable apartments it involved to be occupied. The cost per sq. foot was outrageous given the current construction economy. I've seen a number of historic manor houses and mansions restored in the past while. Most involve a substantial rebuild from the inside out. A property owner has to be quite wealthy with little hope of financial return for the foreseeable future. There has to be a sort of passionate love beyond financial concern, a genuine love of the building in order to be able to restore it properly to meet the current codes. To back up the desire to restore, there has to be a big bank account or a huge amount of available time for sweat equity. We've seen this scenario play out with the Pantages. At this point, the costs of restoration would have been well over 100 million. The community had already just come out of spending hundreds of millions to add to and restore and upgrade the historic Capitol and to build a new world-class Eccles. At this point we're all well aware of the many contributions being made by the communities well-heeled. Whether it's homeless centers, medical centers, major university projects, saving our beloved Jazz, etc. The community is probably tapped out for the next little while. Either that or they're already overcommitted

Last edited by delts145; Mar 24, 2021 at 11:52 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
Council member Mano was unimpressed with their "Mid-block Connection" which requires climbing stairs up to the park and then taking stairs back down from the park (or elevators) to get from West Temple to Main St. If the park was something that drew people in it could be worthwhile. Seems like the new proposal to "buy" the theater is DOA so they really should work (spend) on making the park something people would actually go to on purpose for various reasons rather than some generic open space in the sky.
I think they should have a mid-block connection through the garage at ground level, not up the park and back down some stairs.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 6:23 PM

Agree, I think if not changed this park will end up being a tenant amenity, at best a little somethin-somethin for the lunch crowd at Kearns, which Hines owns.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I think they should have a mid-block connection through the garage at ground level, not up the park and back down some stairs.
Can both be done? Or is it either or?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 6:45 PM

^
I would definitely prefer to have both. I actually think an elevated park in the middle of downtown would be kind of nice.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 8:33 PM

Does anyone know what is going on on the roof of 95 s state?

It seems that very little has been built for weeks and weeks after the small cluster of ironwork that has been added to the roof.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 9:15 PM

An interesting article appeared today in the New York Times stating that

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 9:18 PM

An interesting article appeared in todays New York Times stating that Austin
is the number 1 City for potential commercial real estate development in the United states due to a large influx of Tech companies.

Im just wishing Salt Lake could ramp up its recruitment of High Tech companies
to get closer to Austin and also help the infill of downtown Salt Lake.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 5:51 AM

Poets Row - Design Review

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 1448 S Main Street

0.66 acres

Mint Architecture.

Project Description:
Quote:
Poets Row is a 32 unit (attached unit) single family residential housing development. 14 units facing Main Street and 18 facing West separated by a drive aisle. The site plan shows the building pushed up to the property line so that 1) we can engage the public street and 2) maximizing the number of units on site and have the proper drive access. This area is missing middle housing with a unique stacked-unit design geared to affordability and diversify housing.

This project brings a different single family unit type to the area, along with an Architecture design to enhance the community along this stretch of Main Street.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 8:27 AM

The Slate

Demolition permits filed for 'The Slate.'

Address: 915 S. Washington

Demo description:

Quote:
Demolish 4 houses, and two sheds. demo existing trees, fence, sidewalk, vegetation, concrete, asphalt alley way on east side of project and existing utilities
The Slate will be a 5 floor, 148 residential unit project developed in tandem with 'The Sydney' which filed demo permits last week.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 8:38 AM

Lotus Republic Sugarhouse - Commercial Building Permit

The Lotus Republic - Sugarhouse project has filed a Commercial Building Permit.

I never saw this go through Planning, so this caught me off guard. Does anyone else know any details?

Address: 717 E Simpson

Project Description:
Quote:
Lotus republic - Sugarhouse
Project consist of 2 sites. First site is to be 4-story, new construction rental apartments with limited amenity space and below grade parking; to be permitted under ibc. Second site will consist of (4) 3 story townhomes, which will be a for sale residential product and filed under irc.
The Lotus Company website has an image but no details.
https://lotuscompany.com/property_ve...98992919921875

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 12:13 PM

^^^
Thanks for the great updates Blah!! As always, your posts are among the local's favorite. Without your continued coverage of the Wasatch Front boom, the local Mountain West forum site would be a lot less interesting.

So far I really like this project below, especially for that particular area. As presented it looks to be designed sufficiently with the correct elements to not appear as a cheap copy of classic row housing. This will really continue to set a much higher bar for that area from its harsh pass-through commercial vibe of the past few decades.

If that project up on Lincoln should go through I would hope they would take some cues from this much more attractively finished product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post

Address: 1448 S Main Street

0.66 acres

Mint Architecture.

Project Description:

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 1:23 PM

Quote:

I never saw this go through Planning, so this caught me off guard. Does anyone else know any details?

Project Description:

No details of course, because I'm just me. Just wanted to say that I accidentally went on a walk through this neighborhood along the S-Line, from about 700 East to 1100 East, and it was completely delightful. Like...I would love to live there. I still don't know how useful the S-Line is currently, but over time that corridor has developed into a great amenity. If you haven't been in that part of town for a few years, it's a great place to check out.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
No details of course, because I'm just me. Just wanted to say that I accidentally went on a walk through this neighborhood along the S-Line, from about 700 East to 1100 East, and it was completely delightful. Like...I would love to live there. I still don't know how useful the S-Line is currently, but over time that corridor has developed into a great amenity. If you haven't been in that part of town for a few years, it's a great place to check out.
Yes, I live at 2200ish south and Windsor(840 east), I walk the S-Line everyday into Fairmont park as well, both are such amazing amenities. The neighborhood has really transformed since I moved here 6 years ago!

Also of note, the Snelgrove building is now being demolished and they are making quick progress.

Does anyone know the progress of the project on 9th east and the S-line? Those buildings have been dormant for a while and I was hoping they would start making progress on those by now.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 8:07 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:

Project Description:

Can I just say, upon first glance I HONESTLY thought that was a rendering, not a photo. That building looks FANSTASTIC.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 8:39 PM

The building itself is a rendering. Right?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West