HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


    Vancouver House in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2741  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 11:40 PM
Capitol Hill Capitol Hill is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Capitol Hill, Seattle
Posts: 362
That herringbone flooring is laid pretty poorly.
__________________
Proud member of the American Association of Attention Deficit Diso...hey look, Crayons!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2742  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 11:57 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
What a scam luxury condos in Vancouver are being, yet idiots are lumping millions upon millions of dollars into these crapboxes.
Don't buy pre-constuction...(?)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2743  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:01 AM
spacebjorn spacebjorn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Don't buy pre-constuction...(?)
Not all pre-sales are terrible. I do however, wonder how many iterations of the floorplan Westbank went through after selling these units.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2744  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:08 AM
CivicBlues CivicBlues is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
"Super-prime building" Even the on-floor corridors are claustrophobic and dingy!

• Video Link
LOL love how half the video "tour" is just naming stores in the vicinity. Oh wow, you really made your commission there Julie Chu
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2745  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:23 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
"Super-prime building" Even the on-floor corridors are claustrophobic and dingy!
The low ceiling must be structural,
but putting the chrome panels between the beams is more disorienting than helpful.

That's a really short distance to the ceiling above the door frame.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2746  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 1:50 AM
teriyaki teriyaki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 606
I think the appropriate name for that thing is a "Toe-Stubber 3000"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2747  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 2:13 AM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyaki View Post
If a lot of Condo dwellers can't be arsed to clean one balcony on the regular, they sure as heck aren't going to be cleaning 4 separate balconies. Going to be a nightmare
Das is tru.

The sad reality is that most purchasers of this type of unit either don't know or don't care about layouts, functional spaces or maintenance.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2748  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 4:00 AM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Ugh. That second picture is literally a bed-size room. Completely unusable and even hotel rooms in Japan are more spacious, whereas this is a multi-million dollar condo.

What a scam luxury condos in Vancouver are being, yet idiots are lumping millions upon millions of dollars into these crapboxes.
When in the condo market a few years ago, I was agog at the number of so-called master bedrooms so small that one could not fit anything except a bed in it. No room for dressers, and in some the closets were only half-depth!
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2749  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 4:15 AM
NewfBC NewfBC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
When in the condo market a few years ago, I was agog at the number of so-called master bedrooms so small that one could not fit anything except a bed in it. No room for dressers, and in some the closets were only half-depth!
Like this $9500/mth 'luxury suite' at 8x?
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204145&page=39

Ron.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2750  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 2:42 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
Like this $9500/mth 'luxury suite' at 8x?
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204145&page=39

Ron.
Wow. I think it should be mandatory that architects and space planners actually live in what they've designed so that they can get a sense of what they've wrought. But maybe they think they're saving the planet by designing in such a fashion?
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2751  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 11:30 PM
rofina rofina is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
Like this $9500/mth 'luxury suite' at 8x?
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204145&page=39

Ron.
That layout is 100X better than anything posted here so far though.

I mean its tight for $9500 - but its square and useable.

These Vancouver House units - I wouldn't live in the $2,700,000 unit. And that's just a ridiculous thing to say considering the context.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2752  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 6:39 PM
Haijo Haijo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 1
I'm currently looking into buying a condo in Vancouver House, but this thread is worrying me.

Specifically interested in this one: https://www.rew.ca/properties/3153619/22...r-bc?search_params%5Bbuilding_id%5D=9919

I showed the images from this thread to my realtor and he said these types of damages for a new build are not uncommon and that the builder is probably still on site, fixing up deficiencies, as the building is still under warranty.

What kind of experts should I hire/talk to before deciding on purchasing? I think I need more opinions from verifiable sources and experts.

Also, what new building in Vancouver is good? It seems like every building I look at has complaints and problems.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2753  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 2:52 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
That's tiny, and having a bathroom door open into your tiny kitchen is weird.
You should be able to find bigger units in older buildings for that price.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2754  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 4:38 AM
jollyburger jollyburger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15,792
Has anyone seen any work being done on the Momofuku space?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2755  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 4:58 PM
chillfang chillfang is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haijo View Post
I'm currently looking into buying a condo in Vancouver House, but this thread is worrying me.

Specifically interested in this one: https://www.rew.ca/properties/3153619/22...r-bc?search_params%5Bbuilding_id%5D=9919

I showed the images from this thread to my realtor and he said these types of damages for a new build are not uncommon and that the builder is probably still on site, fixing up deficiencies, as the building is still under warranty.

What kind of experts should I hire/talk to before deciding on purchasing? I think I need more opinions from verifiable sources and experts.

Also, what new building in Vancouver is good? It seems like every building I look at has complaints and problems.
Yeah your realtor is full of it.

Deficiencies are not uncommon in newer condos but based on the evidence shown here I'd be wary to learn the full extent of how many more other problems condo owners are dealing with; I'd imagine what's shown is only the tip of the iceberg. Vancouver House is also close to being 1 year old...so not even spanking new enough to make those excuses... they should have dealt with most deficiencies in the first 6-8 months.

Lot's of the bitter sentiment being echoed here is also due to the horrid floor plans that was designed. This is a key determinate on how the units are priced but I think any experienced homeowner/ purchaser will contest to you that not all square footage is the same. The unit you posted although isn't the worst nor the tiniest I've seen but at a glance I can already tell you there's some functional problems that would make anyone cringe thinking about living there. I.e. Look at how tight the kitchen lay out is... and how the only bathroom unit is next to where you cook — can you imagine preparing delicious supper while your guest takes a dump from inches away ?

All that's to say is for 700k you're getting a very edgy living area with a very mediocre view for downtown... plus an additional $400/month for strata.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2756  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 10:04 PM
dleung's Avatar
dleung dleung is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,554
lol what a floorplan. Go through the dining room to get to the tiny bedroom, and squeeze past the bed to get to the closet. And the front door is like right there in the living room along with the washer dryer. Front hallways are useful for hiding that stuff. And lmao, let's hope your partner isn't handling anything hot on the stove when you swing that bathroom door open after taking a monster 🞵🞵🞵🞵
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2757  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 10:43 PM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is offline
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,749
I love the look of Vancouver House, but it's a perfect example of form over function.

That cramped, poorly laid out apartment is rough for $700K.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2758  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 4:45 AM
mcminsen's Avatar
mcminsen mcminsen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 9,980
April 5 '21, my pics
...

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2759  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 7:47 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Has anyone seen any work being done on the Momofuku space?
I walked past on Saturday night, absolutely no sign of anything going on, part of the poster wrap is ripped off and you can see inside.
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2760  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 9:35 PM
Joshmaxlo's Avatar
Joshmaxlo Joshmaxlo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 115
According to Twitter and sources, there has been a significant pipe burst at Vancouver House. Hopefully, everyone is alright.

Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:37 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.