HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownslcresident View Post
So does the current bill provide funding for double tracking the entire length of the line? Or just a patchwork of the most important sections?
It's just a patchwork. But the funds, if approved, could be leveraged to get some additional Federal Funding.

If it is the standard 50/50 split (Fed and State/Local), FrontRunner could get approximately 75% double tracked. At 60/40 it jumps up to 85%. UTA does get closer to 70/30 splits with their applications. At this level, it would get FrontRunner to 90% double tracked.

Because the work will take a couple of years, I think the plan is to keep funding FrontRunner until it is fully double tracked and electrified. Getting any Federal Funding will greatly speed up the process.

I can see funding added to UTA for FrontRunner/Trax/BRT every year from the State to help expand the transit network and connections.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 9:29 PM
Space Magi

So the numbers are in and the bill is now heading to the governor's desk:
Quote:
The bill sets aside $200 million for double-tracking parts of FrontRunner, $12 million for improvements to the S-line streetcar, $11 million for bus rapid transit in the Salt Lake valley, and $5 million for an environmental study at the Point of the Mountain, among other items.
What are the S-Line improvements that we are talking about here?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
So the numbers are in and the bill is now heading to the governor's desk:

What are the S-Line improvements that we are talking about here?
This could be enough to finish the double tracking of the line I think. As the EIS is already done for the whole line, any funding could go immediately to construction.

I don't expect to see any expansion of the line until after it has been fully double tracked.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 3:49 PM

Utah Transit Authority celebrates the completion of Phase I of new bus operations, maintenance and administration facility

https://utahnow.online/2021/03/04/ut...tion-facility/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Utah Transit Authority celebrates the completion of Phase I of new bus operations, maintenance and administration facility

https://utahnow.online/2021/03/04/ut...tion-facility/

(nevermind)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 9:56 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
This could be enough to finish the double tracking of the line I think. As the EIS is already done for the whole line, any funding could go immediately to construction.

I don't expect to see any expansion of the line until after it has been fully double tracked.
Sounds like the city is actually pushing to extend the S-Line eastward, farther into "downtown" Sugar House.
https://twitter.com/slcmayor/status/1367948858681032708

I actually think this makes a lot of sense. I wonder if they are considering a route up Wilmington or into the shopping center along Simpson?

Wilmington is already the most urban street in Utah outside of downtown SLC/Ogden.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 3:01 AM

Anyone wanna draw up some dream proposals for us of the S-line eastward expansion? Personally I’d love to see it continue up Simpson, right through the middle of the sugarhouse shopping center (with a future redevelopment of the rest of that center to make it much more dense with less parking) cross 13th east and run around the edge of sugarhouse park, and then up 2100s to foothill drive to connect with a future TRAX line along the East bench from the university down to the cottonwood canyons.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownslcresident View Post
Anyone wanna draw up some dream proposals for us of the S-line eastward expansion? Personally I’d love to see it continue up Simpson, right through the middle of the sugarhouse shopping center (with a future redevelopment of the rest of that center to make it much more dense with less parking) cross 13th east and run around the edge of sugarhouse park, and then up 2100s to foothill drive to connect with a future TRAX line along the East bench from the university down to the cottonwood canyons.
I have thought of that, too. It'd be great.

I'd take it through downtown Sugarhouse and continue going up 1100 E to 900 S. Then turn left and go until 700 E. At that point go north until the 400 South Trax Connection. That way you hit Downtown Sugarhouse/Westminster/9th and 9th/Liberty Park/Trolley Square along the way.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:43 AM

S-Line, rapid transit and more: A deeper look into Utah's 'historic' transit infrastructure funding

https://www.ksl.com/article/50123299...ucture-funding

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY — A plan to extend S-Line streetcar and funding for a new "mid-valley" Salt Lake County rapid transit bus system were just some of the projects approved under a bill that included over $1 billion in state spending to accelerate transportation and other infrastructure projects across the state.

HB433 cleared the Utah Legislature on it's second-to-last day. It authorized $264 million in bonds for "specified transportation and transit projects." It also appropriated about $834.6 million in one-time spending from state revenue sources.

Sen. Kirk Cullimore, who served as the floor sponsor of the bill, explained before the legislation passed that it was meant to speed up "a lot of projects on the transportation commission list" and address other priority projects in Utah.
Quote:
The UTA project that garnered the most attention was one that would double-track Utah Transit Authority's FrontRunner lines. About $300 million in either bonds issued or one-time spending grants were offered toward that project; however, several other UTA projects would receive funds through the bill.

Here's a deeper look at what the money would go toward.

FrontRunner spending: Double-tracking, Vineyard Station and more

Most of the $264 million in bonds in the bill, about $232 million in total, are to go toward the Utah Transit Authority for a handful of projects but mainly improvements toward FrontRunner.

The bill's most notable spending went toward the double-tracking FrontRunner. The project would allow for more frequent trains and faster transportation between Ogden and Provo. An additional $100 million in one-time spending was also set aside for the project.

Carolyn Gonot, UTA's executive director, said during Wednesday's UTA board meeting that the agency would also seek a federal grant to help with the project.
Quote:
...It also means UTA could increase the frequency of trains on the rails, the number of people on FrontRunner and the speed between stops just by adding a second track alongside the current route. The project wouldn't double track the remaining three-fourths of the route but would offer "strategic" double-tracking to speed up the current system.

Ranu said that would make it a "more desirable system" and make it an easier option for people who don't want to commute on freeways to work along the Wasatch Front.

"It's really about providing choice for how people want to move in our region," he said.

Construction on FrontRunner double-tracking is currently anticipated to begin as early as 2023, he said.
Quote:
S-Line extension: Taking "a step" closer to Highland Drive

Another $12 million from the bond would go toward an S-Line expansion in Salt Lake City from its eastern terminus closer to Highland Drive, which means it will be closer to the Sugar House business and residential hub.

The S-Line, which launched in 2013, currently runs between Central Pointe Station (221 W. 2100 South in South Salt Lake) to Fairmont Station, which is located at 1040 E. 2200 South in Salt Lake City. UTA completed some double-tracking on the line in 2019 that allowed the street car service to run every 15 minutes.
Quote:
Midvalley Connector

Another $11 million in the bond would go toward UTA's "Midvalley Connector" rapid bus transit system project for areas in Salt Lake County. Gonot said that the project also received about $22 million from the state legislature last year.

"Those two combined will actually allow us to leverage another $50 to $60 million from the federal to really make this a high-quality (bus rapid transit) as well," she said.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Sounds like the city is actually pushing to extend the S-Line eastward, farther into "downtown" Sugar House.
https://twitter.com/slcmayor/status/1367948858681032708

I actually think this makes a lot of sense. I wonder if they are considering a route up Wilmington or into the shopping center along Simpson?

Wilmington is already the most urban street in Utah outside of downtown SLC/Ogden.
I think you misunderstood the tweet. They're adding a few hundred feet to bring it to Highland Drive. The (not north or south) part means a future expansion will have to be funded to move it north or south. (Hopefully north.)

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:31 PM
Space Magi

That information was not available when I posted that. The tweet by itself (and the video!) seems to indicate their intent to push the S-Line into the business areas of Sugar House.

Here's UTA's plan for the Lehi-Draper BRT. It looks like they are using the ROW that would have been used for a Blue Line TRAX extension down to Lehi, so I guess that's completely off the table.

Video Link

If you watch the Point of the Mountain Commission video I last posted in the MSA Development Thread, they mention that this route is not suitable for light rail because of the steeper grades around the freeway. That fact notwithstanding, this new route is disconnected from rail transit in SL County except for the FrontRunner station in Draper, which I think is a little shortsighted.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 8:21 PM

I wish there was funding for double-tracking the S-Line. I think that is more useful than extending it at the moment.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 1:02 AM

Quote:
That information was not available when I posted that. The tweet by itself (and the video!) seems to indicate their intent to push the S-Line into the business areas of Sugar House.
From the tweet alone, I assumed meant they were taking it to Highland, not further east. I haven’t seen whatever other information you’re referring to. Highland Drive is the heart of the Sugar House business district.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 5:05 PM

Any update on what’s happening with Hatman’s Rio Grande inter-modal hub plan? The city, county, State, and UTA should be tripping over themselves to implement it!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 2:18 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Any update on what’s happening with Hatman’s Rio Grande inter-modal hub plan? The city, county, State, and UTA should be tripping over themselves to implement it!
The state *did* just get an infusion of unexpected stimmy cash.

(Though they probably want to do something boring, like spend it equitably around the state)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
The state *did* just get an infusion of unexpected stimmy cash.

(Though they probably want to do something boring, like spend it equitably around the state)
ALL LEGISLATURE INFLUENCERS START LOBBYING NOW FOR HATMAN’S RIO GRANDE MASTERPLAN!!!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 3:51 PM

Yes, please!
I'll break my silence to say that I have been invited to make presentations to several interested parties, and reactions seemed favorable. No fatal flaws have been discovered yet. The trick will be getting ALL invested parties to not just react favorably, but also give their support.
I'm still optimistic, but there are a lot of people and organizations left to reach. This is going to be a long process, as it should be.
That said, I'm going to try and keep a low profile online, especially on this forum. I don't want to say anything stupid that would blow the whole thing up. Just know that I am doing all I can in the background to get The Rio Grande Plan into the hands of the right people.
So yes, any help that anyone can provide is always greatly appreciated!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 11:28 PM

Hey everyone! I'm a long time reader and rarely post, but I wanted to post about Murray City's Transportation Plan Update. This is a great opportunity to give feedback from our community. I'm disappointed with the lack of transit, bicycle, and pedestrian considerations in this plan. Lets make some comments and get them to work on this more!

http://www.murraytransportationplan.com

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 3:17 PM

https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news...t-lake-valley/

Speaking of public transit feedback, the cities of Salt Lake, South Salt Lake, Millcreek, and Holladay are seeking feedback on preferred transit options along Highland Dr. or 1300 E. It seems like this could determine whether or not the S Line extension will tie into a rail or bus line to continue further south.

Quote:
“Local Link is a collective effort between the four cities to address an important transportation need and to plan ahead for future growth. With the way things are changing in this valley, we know that widening roads and relying on cars alone can’t be our only options,” says Lynn Jacobs, Local Link Project Manager, and Salt Lake City Transportation Engineer. “Major infrastructure projects are slated for our cities in the next five years, and now is the time to plan these solutions and understand what our communities need.”

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 4:04 PM
Space Magi

Anyone know the timeline on the ~650 S Main TRAX station? After riding the train through downtown last week, my feeling was that not having a station there already feels like a missed opportunity. The gap between Courthouse and 900 S stations is really substantial. It will be very inconvenient for office workers at 650 Main to use TRAX until the new station opens.

Also Hatman, looking at your 2030 TRAX map I have a question. What would the be the best way to get from say "Industry" station to "600 South Main" station? Seems like the best options would be to either ride Silver on a big loop around downtown or ride Blue to Central 9th and transfer to Red or Blue (northbound). Neither seems like a very efficient route from A to B.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West