HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 10:23 AM
Exit 298

(deleted)

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 11:08 AM

ABC4:A city for skyscrapers: developments and construction make way in Salt Lake City

https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news...alt-lake-city/

Reem Ikram
Mar 7, 2021
Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4) – It seems as if Salt Lake City was been under construction for quite a while, which raises the question; how is the city growing exactly? and what more is to come?

In a research study conducted by Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute of the University of Utah, the state’s current population is estimated to grow from 3,389,467 to 5,827,810 by the end of 2065.

With an influx of nearly 2.5 million people, in the next twenty years, Salt Lake builders are anxious to construct profitable and desirable living space.

According to the CMD group, there are more than 10 housing developments in the works, one of those being a large skyscraper centered in the heart of Salt Lake City. Broadway Place is located near the northeast corner of 200 east and 300 south. According to local blog, Building Salt Lake, the newly revamped tower is expected to bring 359 residential units to the area on 26 floors of the 31 story-building, leaving 5,800 square feet of space for ground-floor retail.

Officials anticipate starting the building process for the Broadway tower in the summer months.

“At 335 feet, the new residential tower will sit in the top 10 of the capital city’s highest,” they share.

According to Building Salt Lake, once the tower is completed it will then become Utah’s tallest building.

Other projects and developments include: the Main Street Apartments, 95 State, Liberty Sky, Kensington Tower and the Convention Center Hotel.

Building Salt Lake says each project listed above is expected to alter Salt Lake City’s skyline as all tower over at least 24 stories high.

If you are interested in seeing where developers are proposing and building new apartments in Salt Lake, learn more at https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/
I do think they made a mistake when they said "According to Building Salt Lake, once the tower is completed it will then become Utah’s tallest building" when talking about the Broadway tower. I think BSL was talking about Kensington (which will be the tallest) and they got confused.

I don't know why so many local news articles seem to get things wrong when it comes to development projects. I know it was likely an honest mistake, but you'd think somebody would take a real interest beyond BSL (so thankfully we have them).

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 730 S State Street

SAPA Investment Group has filed a commercial building permit for:

I haven't heard of this planned expansion, has anyone else?

The only thing that I can find in my records is that the Sears Block redevelopment project seems to maybe include it in this image:

P.S. in an unrelated comment, I still cannot get over how large Post House appears in this image. I'm really excited for that project to be finished.
Found a rendering of it on their website: https://www.sapainvestment.com/gilyen-construction/#

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 3:49 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
Found a rendering of it on their website: https://www.sapainvestment.com/gilyen-construction/#
That's an odd-looking building, but it will certainly add some nice variety to the streetscape. I love what Sapa is doing with Food Alley across the street (which is still happening!) and I love that they've taken the lead on promoting the "Midtown" identity of the area.

They didn't even try with that background haha.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 6:18 PM

Where are those buildings in the background coming from LOL

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 7:07 PM
Engineer

Not sure if this has been posted, but the Global and World Cities (GaWC) Research Network has classified Salt Lake City in 2020 as a Gamma- city for the first time. 25 US cities are classified higher, as are 170 other cities in the world. I don't know what this means but I guess we're moving up in the world in the eyes of think tanks that study cities? Other US cities with the Gamma- classification are Cleveland, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Columbus, and Sacramento.

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2020t.html

We're on our way to Beta! Maybe.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allh View Post
Where are those buildings in the background coming from LOL
Sim City

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 8:20 PM

Virtual open house for the Utah Theater/Hines Tower is open:

150 S MAIN STREET APARTMENTS – DESIGN REVIEW

Dwell Design Studio on behalf of Hines Acquisitions, LLC has requested Design Review approval for the 150 S Main Street Apartments to be located at approximately 150 S. Main Street on the site of the Utah Theatre. The combined 0.89 acre (39,000 square feet) parcel is owned by the Redevelopment Agency of Salt Lake City and is located in the D-1 – Central Business District.

The proposed project is for a 400-unit apartment building that will include 40 affordable, 355 market rate and 5 penthouse level housing units. The building will include a mid-block walkway and a park amenity on the separate parking structure in the rear. A total of 8,400 square feet of retail space will be included at the ground floor, fronting on main street. The proposed 31-story building will be approximately 368-feet tall with an additional 24-feet included for rooftop mechanical equipment and elevator overruns. The total height of the building will be 392 feet.

Buildings in excess of 100-feet tall in the D-1 zoning district are allowed through the Design Review process with Planning Commission approval. In addition, the Design Review process is also being used to allow the residential lobby entrance to be set back 10-feet from Main Street, in excess of the requirement of a maximum of 5-feet.

Petition Number: PLNPCM2021-00024
Zoning District: D-1 – Central Business District
Council District: District 4, Represented by Ana Valdemoros
Staff Planner: David J Gellner
Email: david.gellner@slcgov.com
Phone Number: 385-226-3860

End of the Public Comment Period: April 26, 2021
Join the Online Open House at: http://tiny.cc/slc-openhouse-00024

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 8:26 PM

This isn't really related to any one project, but I'm a high school history teacher and we're talking about midcentury America, the arrival of the Interstates, the growth of suburbs, the deaths of downtowns, etc. And I've been able to incorporate some of the things that I've learned from y'all over the years.

I've learned more about Japantown, the history of Main Street, and lots of other things here than I ever did in my history education. Trying to pass on some of that to kids along with all my other liberal brainwashing.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 9:08 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
https://ksltv.com/456978/dozens-rall...tments-in-slc/

Is anti-development sentiments getting out of hand in Salt Lake?
Maybe but I would not point to this article as proof of it. I think it's easy to forget how many peoples' lives are going to be impacted by a lot of these developments. Many people LIVE in the homes that are being sold by the property owners and considering how dang expensive it is to even rent in Salt Lake, there's a real prospect these people won't be able to find a viable rental option.

Imagine living five years in a home, making it your own, with your family, and then being told by the lot owner that, "oh by the way I'm selling the house, it's going to be demolished and you have a few weeks to find a new place to live..."

I get it. It's free market capitalism at its finest.

But these are human beings we're dealing with. Not just the historic nature of a property.

So, I am assuming you don't actually mean people who are upset about the prospects of being homeless because the house they're renting is going to be sold and demolished, is considered anti-development and getting out of hand. That would be pretty heartless.

Of course, if you mean the fact the cost of even renting in Salt Lake is getting out of hand, absolutely you're 100% spot on - it is getting out of hand. And these new developments do nothing to help it. I agree with you there.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 11:19 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
The Kensington Tower and Lofts on 4th groups haven't even applied for building permits so I wouldn't plan on seeing any significant work on the sites for a while. Keep in mind when a developer applies for Design Review approval, generally the designers don't have a complete design package and the building plans haven't been fully engineered. They don't want to pay the significant costs to finish the design package until they get the "go ahead" from the city. Finishing up plans takes time and the larger, more complex projects can take several months.
This is correct. I think Kensington is experiencing delays in the design process, which makes June look unlikely. But those design delays could also be related to escalating costs requiring detailed value engineering. But I still think they'll be in the ground this summer, which means they'll probably file for permits in April or May.

I have heard that the Carl's Jr. will be demolished in the next 30 days, though. So that's something.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 11:51 PM

I walk by Carl's daily and over the last few days they had electricians there and stripped it of all the light fixtures, security cameras, HVAC, and basically anything else of value over the weekend. Some movement in the property that's been idle for a while now.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 1:13 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
This isn't really related to any one project, but I'm a high school history teacher and we're talking about midcentury America, the arrival of the Interstates, the growth of suburbs, the deaths of downtowns, etc. And I've been able to incorporate some of the things that I've learned from y'all over the years.
Do know that Salt Lake City's impact from Interstates was significantly better off than most other major cities. The city was smaller. The freeway acts more as a bypass (adjacent to the rail corridor) than cutting directly through the central business district, like it did in other downtowns.

Original maps from 1955 for other cities: http://ajfroggie.com/roads/yellowbook/

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Imagine living five years in a home, making it your own, with your family, and then being told by the lot owner that, "oh by the way I'm selling the house, it's going to be demolished and you have a few weeks to find a new place to live..."
The thing is, it isn't their house though and they knew that going in. Any renter that has tried made a rental house 'their own' are lying to themselves. These renters are demanding the right to essentially live in someone else's house forever at whatever low rent they have determined to be appropriate. Personally, I find that point of view outrageous and I suspect it will only make the situation worse for future renters in Utah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Of course, if you mean the fact the cost of even renting in Salt Lake is getting out of hand, absolutely you're 100% spot on - it is getting out of hand. And these new developments do nothing to help it. I agree with you there.
I abhor renting as a means of housing (especially for longer periods of time) to begin with. I personally think it is often a drain on our society and the least fortunate. That's why I posted that video a week ago describing how Singapore has dealt with their housing, resulting in over 90% of households owning their own property.

There is a rapidly growing long-term class divide between renters (who have little power, aren't able to build wealth through real estate, and whose rents continue to rise uncontrollably) and property owners, whose houses continue to gain or at least retain value, allowing them to build wealth which can then be leveraged.

That's why I am always disappointed that all these new buildings are rental properties rather than condo properties. Condo prices are absurd downtown, with City Creek standing as expensive as major urban centers' luxury condos like Toronto, Vancouver, or Chicago. The addition of more condos would help alleviate the pressure and make it more affordable for people to buy rather than to rent downtown. It makes sense though, because rental properties are more profitable and seen as easier to fill. Government action may be needed to push the market in that direction.

All that said, preventing a development that would provide housing for hundreds of people for 7 households in utterly insane. We are in a genuine housing shortage crisis and this only makes the situation worse. So yes, I do think this is a good example for how anti-development sentiments are getting out of hand.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Mar 9, 2021 at 6:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 10:55 AM

The Village at North Station: Lot/Parcel Consolidation

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

The planned 'The Village at North Station' has filed a lot consolidation.

The consolidation includes 1955 W North Temple, a property smooshed between The Village's planned buildings that was once an old wells fargo building. The site had prior been planned to be a separate 56 unit project called 'North Station Lofts.' That appears to be cancelled.

As you can see, The Village at North Station's approved site plan leaves out the 1955 West property (in blue):

I do not know what their plan is for the additional site. They may be intending to simply add another building to The Village, it could become greenspace, or worst option of all, it could become more surface parking - which plagues this project.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 11:11 AM

Firefighters battle 2-alarm blaze near downtown Salt Lake City | Gephardt Daily

https://gephardtdaily.com/local/fire...alt-lake-city/

this image + more images came from/ can be found on SLCScanner Twitter page: https://twitter.com/SLCScanner

Quote:
"Salt Lake City Battalion Chief Ryan Miller told Gephardt Daily the fire burning in an abandoned home near 400 South 200 West was first reported about 11:15 p.m. Monday."
Quote:
Miller said the abandoned home had burned several times in the past and firefighters knew what they were in for as soon they heard the call coming into dispatch.
It looks like the house that burned is one of the abandoned houses that would be replaced by the planned 'The Bookbinder' project.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post

I've learned more about Japantown, the history of Main Street, and lots of other things here than I ever did in my history education. Trying to pass on some of that to kids along with all my other liberal brainwashing.
Have you talked about or are planning on talking about redlining? Knowledge about that is still more limited than it should be and it would be awesome to see more high school teachers incorporating that into their cirriculum!

Either way, good work on teaching those things. I definitely approve.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Have you talked about or are planning on talking about redlining? Knowledge about that is still more limited than it should be and it would be awesome to see more high school teachers incorporating that into their cirriculum!

Either way, good work on teaching those things. I definitely approve.
Thanks -- and yeah, we've talked about redlining -- that's becoming a pretty standard part of most US History classes, but I've only seen that coming into the curriculum in the last 3 or 4 years.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 3:30 PM
Space Magi

Such a shame about the fate of the Kelly Houses.

On a positive note, here's a new picture of Dixon Place from u/wow-how-original on the subreddit:

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:

As you can see, The Village at North Station's approved site plan leaves out the 1955 West property (in blue):
It was my understanding they were going to put apartments for low income housing in that location. I believe the developers are also different.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West