My reading of what happened there is the hotel proposal was struck down for yet another residential tower. There are like 5 towers of that site that are nearly all the same height and programming like a Le Corbusier 🞵🞵🞵 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. The final tower gobbles up the corner triangular lot, ties into the parking garage and is a little shorter than the rest.
I posted this in the Scottsdale thread and this doesn't even include a large apartment complex and major office redevelopment on the south. Kierland is crazy hot and dense.
I find it odd that with some of the most intensive development planned in the Valley Kierland is neither a village core and in fact has enough of it designated as industrial on the general plan map. I could see 140' in a village core but it'd be out of place by PV mall and totally market-respondent in the Kierland area.
In reading through some of the rezoning cases, it doesn't seem that Phoenix really cares about NIMBY concerns in stark contrast with some of the more established older centrally located areas. I kind of wonder why they go through the dog-and-pony show of planning if they've missed or otherwise ignored this over the last several years.