Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend
|
I walked past this this morning. They already have the Development Application boards up on the perimeter.
I'm surprised they put the lawn area at the side facing the synagogue on Oak Street. For one it will be heavily-shadowed as the synagogue is quite tall, and secondly it would be a better transition on the Laurel side. Why? The buildings on Laurel will be 4-5 stories, directly opposite existing 2 storey residential houses. So that would feel like a visual high wall facing the low-density SFH neighbourhood. It would help to reduce this wall feeling by moving the lawn to meet the Laurel Street boundary of the SFHs and townhouses and squishing the buildings right up to the western boundary behind the synagogue - the gradient from short to tall would be less severe.
So far it looks like a great improvement to the 1930s/1940s houses that are there currently. I hope they keep the open community feeling that is there now, due to the existing community lawn area being unfenced, so you regularly see little kids from the development playing together there as you walk by