HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #381  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 6:42 AM
Chronamut's Avatar
Chronamut Chronamut is offline
Hamilton Historian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Sorry, that's what I meant. Much more useful. Mine is 6ft deep thankfully so it is actually huge. They even had 7ft ones. But the condo board is so controlling too over what lights can be hung, how many pieces of furniture can be on the balcony, the types of false flooring that can be used.
Yeah I don't get that - why be stingy over lights? That's something people cherish - that's another thing I wish we had - electrical outlets on the balconies to plug lights into..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #382  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 12:32 AM
Dr Awesomesauce's Avatar
Dr Awesomesauce Dr Awesomesauce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BEYOND THE OUTER RIM
Posts: 5,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I love the closed in balconies as well. 75% of people don't use their balconies and it's just wasted space. My condo in Burlington is 555sqft and the balcony is 162sqft. While I and my partner would totally use such a large balcony because we love being outside, I would have preferred a 717sqft condo instead. Add another 100sqft parking spot, and without the parking spot I could have had 817sqft condo. My tenant doesn't even have a car because it's a good spot where someone wouldn't need a car.

A closed in balcony would be great. The 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 amenities like a kid's room that makes no sense, and would have been better to been a regular daycare subsidized on 5henfirst floor would have been preferable.
I like the idea of balconies but I've lived in many apartments both here and in tropical countries and I've never used them. Either too hot or too cold or just too high in the sky for my comfort zone. I like the European model of having a Parisienne style balcony ie big windows you can throw open on a nice day, perhaps space for a flower box or two.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #383  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 2:30 AM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 7,503
I used to rent in an older building on Lakeshore in Burlington, not far from downtown. The balcony was generous, but anything I put out there would get awfully dirty. Washing windows was a constant chore... until I decided I really didn't care lol

I believe it was partly industrial particulate carried on the wind from Hamilton (though my tenure there coincided with inactivity at Stelco) and partly whatever was wafting over the lake from the traffic on the Skyway.

I'd go out to look at the sunset, or the stars, or lightning, but because the film of grime would build up I never bothered to get outdoor furniture nor plants (which could have thrived given the southwest facing). Had the balcony been windowed off I would have used it as living space, at least during the temperate months. And I'd probably have had pots with tomato plants, herbs, beans, etc., just to experiment. But the way it was just meant extra space to clean, and I couldn't be bothered with that and really didn't have the time either.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Dec 14, 2020 at 2:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #384  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 5:33 AM
Chronamut's Avatar
Chronamut Chronamut is offline
Hamilton Historian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,236
I bought some new patio equipment - my spot faces the escarpment so I have a nice view - been growing plants out there the past few years - it's nice - but certain times of the day its just sun hell hehe..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #385  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 9:35 PM
Boost the Hammer Boost the Hammer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 25
Have noticed all work appears to have been stopped since before Christmas. The site is closed up.

I wish the City would make a decision. We all know Darko can wait until he gets what he wants.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #386  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 2:53 PM
johnnyhamont's Avatar
johnnyhamont johnnyhamont is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,116
work on the east tower has stopped, but the site's not closed up. Work is continuing on the rest of the site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #387  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:01 AM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055
Still working slowly

https://i.imgur.com/7PLnqIjh.jpg
__________________
Hamilton Downtown. Huge tabletop skyline fan. Typically viewing the city from the street, not a helicopter. Cycling, transit and active transportation advocate 🚲🚍🚋

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3kIXnr9MISIZNGfD4A&s=09
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #388  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 8:10 PM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055


Lovely precast stone...

__________________
Hamilton Downtown. Huge tabletop skyline fan. Typically viewing the city from the street, not a helicopter. Cycling, transit and active transportation advocate 🚲🚍🚋

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3kIXnr9MISIZNGfD4A&s=09
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #389  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 11:20 PM
lachlanholmes's Avatar
lachlanholmes lachlanholmes is offline
Forever forward.
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post


Lovely precast stone...

Wow, that is particularly awful...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #390  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 2:28 AM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055
Positively awful. Reminds me of that building on Main and Caroline. In fact, I think it's the exact same fake stone just painted black.
__________________
Hamilton Downtown. Huge tabletop skyline fan. Typically viewing the city from the street, not a helicopter. Cycling, transit and active transportation advocate 🚲🚍🚋

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3kIXnr9MISIZNGfD4A&s=09
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #391  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 1:29 PM
johnnyhamont's Avatar
johnnyhamont johnnyhamont is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,116
Do I recall correctly from planning documents that those will be the facades of a row of townhouses facing market?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #392  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 8:25 PM
davidcappi's Avatar
davidcappi davidcappi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,991
stubbes precast X vrancor strikes again.

This is going to look terrible
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #393  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 8:37 PM
Hawrylyshyn's Avatar
Hawrylyshyn Hawrylyshyn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Do I recall correctly from planning documents that those will be the facades of a row of townhouses facing market?
If this view is along Market, that seems to be correct. You can just barely them in this

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
now on Vrancor website (noted as 354 King W vs above title)


and also link to GSP site - with info

https://www.gspgroup.ca/active-projects/354-king-street-west/

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #394  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 1:47 AM
matt602's Avatar
matt602 matt602 is offline
Hammer'd
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,785
I feel like all of these 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 Vrancor buildings will need to be re-clad before 2050. Terrible.
__________________
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #395  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 2:00 AM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I feel like all of these 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 Vrancor buildings will need to be re-clad before 2050. Terrible.
Mre like 2023.
__________________
Hamilton Downtown. Huge tabletop skyline fan. Typically viewing the city from the street, not a helicopter. Cycling, transit and active transportation advocate 🚲🚍🚋

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3kIXnr9MISIZNGfD4A&s=09
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #396  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 3:05 PM
atnor atnor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 396
Only the Marquee tower has been acceptable. The rest of his builds have been absolute trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #397  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 6:26 PM
urban_planner urban_planner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 824
I think Main and Walnut turned out decent. I to this point only have an issue with Bella Towers. But let be honest He's really the only one that has builr or it building a lot in Hamilton when nobody else really is with a few exceptions and personally I'm generally happy about it. Sure they aren't all the prettiest but he still gets is done instead of just feeding us renderings without any actual building. Look at how many other proposals have been put forward with nothing actually being build yes some of that is the fault of the city. Also can everyone get over the Stubbs precast. I come on the forums and see fresh posts only to go in and see its just more 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 and moaning about precast. Get over it, its their development and their money, Let them do what they want. Lets maybe just make a bigger deal when something isn't precast such a Kiwi.

I don't post much but this precast whining was really getting old and wanted to voice my thoughts.
__________________
I think its the best city of its size on earth.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #398  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 7:59 PM
johnnyhamont's Avatar
johnnyhamont johnnyhamont is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
If this view is along Market, that seems to be correct. You can just barely them in this
Interesting! I believe this will be a first for Hamilton, in terms of precast townhouses. Also, those will be massive windows!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #399  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 8:21 PM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
I think Main and Walnut turned out decent. I to this point only have an issue with Bella Towers. But let be honest He's really the only one that has builr or it building a lot in Hamilton when nobody else really is with a few exceptions and personally I'm generally happy about it. Sure they aren't all the prettiest but he still gets is done instead of just feeding us renderings without any actual building. Look at how many other proposals have been put forward with nothing actually being build yes some of that is the fault of the city. Also can everyone get over the Stubbs precast. I come on the forums and see fresh posts only to go in and see its just more 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 and moaning about precast. Get over it, its their development and their money, Let them do what they want. Lets maybe just make a bigger deal when something isn't precast such a Kiwi.

I don't post much but this precast whining was really getting old and wanted to voice my thoughts.
I think there is a reason to complain. Architecture, beauty and design are all important factors when building a city. It isn't just that it's his property, he can do what he likes with it. It's something that will exist for likely 100 years and something people have to see and be around.

Your username is Urban Planner, so you must understand that psychology, and sociology are just as important as the utilitarian aspect of the built environment. This is why we don't get beauty in our built environment, because most think it isn't important. Most of us have no issue with precast, just lazily done precast with absolutely no attempt to look even half decent.

Building in this way got us the commie blocks of the 80s everybody hates, and we know now, building housing in the way of utilitarian over thoughtful design leads to social issues, psychological problems and health issues.

Just because something technically works, doesn't mean it is good, or should be left without criticism. What's worse is that many of these buildings don't work. The build quality is so shoddy, that many new condos are running into structural and leaking issue without even making it to their 5th birthday.
__________________
Hamilton Downtown. Huge tabletop skyline fan. Typically viewing the city from the street, not a helicopter. Cycling, transit and active transportation advocate 🚲🚍🚋

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3kIXnr9MISIZNGfD4A&s=09
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #400  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 11:09 PM
urban_planner urban_planner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I think there is a reason to complain. Architecture, beauty and design are all important factors when building a city. It isn't just that it's his property, he can do what he likes with it. It's something that will exist for likely 100 years and something people have to see and be around.

Your username is Urban Planner, so you must understand that psychology, and sociology are just as important as the utilitarian aspect of the built environment. This is why we don't get beauty in our built environment, because most think it isn't important. Most of us have no issue with precast, just lazily done precast with absolutely no attempt to look even half decent.

Building in this way got us the commie blocks of the 80s everybody hates, and we know now, building housing in the way of utilitarian over thoughtful design leads to social issues, psychological problems and health issues.

Just because something technically works, doesn't mean it is good, or should be left without criticism. What's worse is that many of these buildings don't work. The build quality is so shoddy, that many new condos are running into structural and leaking issue without even making it to their 5th birthday.
I agree with what you are saying I just get sick of seeing the same replies when ever someone posts fresh images.
__________________
I think its the best city of its size on earth.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:36 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.