Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45
Brexit voters didn't like being beholden to Brussels and wanted to Make Britain Great Again. Entering some pact with "the colonies" in which you're the Big Guy again seems to fit perfectly with their mindset.
|
Sadly, I think there is truth in this statement, but in addition to becoming the big boy on the block again, I think the UK genuinely wants a new trading association to partially make up for what was lost because of Brexit.
I still think there is value in CANZUK, and it is not just because of a false romantic notion of lost empire. These four countries have the same monarch, the same parliamentary system, same legal systems, same language, similar economies and a common adherence to the modern welfare state.
If any four countries in the world could come together to create an equitable free trade and free movement area, these would be them. I think we would all benefit, and since size matters in this world, a common trading block of 140 million people would make countries like China take notice.
And, I wouldn't mind being able to throw a few shrimps on the barbie with my Aussie mates from time to time too.