HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Those units with the block in front of the are going to be very dark.
Isn't it pretty much dark all the time because of the hill behind it?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 7:23 AM

The Mountain Highway eastbound onramp is open, although it's a bit of an uncomfortable merge with the cones and the highway detour in place. That should improve once the regular highway route is restored.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 9:29 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
They mothballed it with the partially built parkade etc so they could focus on their other project at the old Earls.

https://www.nsnews.com/real-estate/c...ays-1.24068678
thanks. once the improvements of the interchanges is done that should be a added selling feature when they start it back up.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Isn't it pretty much dark all the time because of the hill behind it?
The hill behind, the other block in front. Those are going to be really, really dark units.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
thanks for pics

kinda reminds me of a wet and cold italian coastline. They have coastal towns with hills and buildings right up to the water
Love the scale of this development. Nestles well into the landscape reminiscent of some of the early railway hotels (ie Banff Springs)

The 2nd and 3rd buildings I agree are a bit over-scaled and packed in compared to the northernmost one.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 7:43 PM

[West Van] 2480 & 2510 Wentworth Ave - preliminary development application - Dec 2020

Link to pre-application post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post

Quote:
Developer scraps 'bold idea' for gondola in West Vancouver project, proposes new plan
The developer has submitted a new preliminary plan for its site at Wentworth Avenue
about 4 hours ago By: Elisia Seeber

The developer that proposed a public gondola to Dundarave as part of a project with more than 500 strata and rental units above Highway 1 in West Vancouver has scaled back their plans.

Changes were made to the preliminary plans following community engagement back in March, which the developer says was "fairly positive" in its pre-application report.

"Although public interest was expressed regarding the proposed gondola, given the feasibility and potential impact to the Dundarave area and residents along the planned route, the gondola has now been removed from the development proposal," the report prepared for council states.

The developer also reduced the number of units from 585 to 279...

Coun. Nora Gambioli raised concerns about the FAR and size of the units, saying they were more than double the size of developments they’d considered recently, including the Daffodil Drive proposal.

Coun. Sharon Thompson said it was “a beautiful design,” but just far too dense for that area for what she was comfortable with.

While Mayor Mary-Ann Booth said she was still a little confounded by the vision for the area. “What's the story? Who’s the market?” she said. “Who are you wanting to attract? What kind of a community is it going to be? “I don't see the connection between the various forms in this, and I haven't for a while. The towers seem out of place in this neighbourhood, and I tend to agree with Coun. Gambioli that the floor aspect ratios should be less
More info at
https://www.nsnews.com/local-news/de...avenue-3197256

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:26 AM

Gateway Residences at Park Royal, West Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Oct.25 '20, my pic

Ten weeks later...

Jan.3 '21, my pic

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:33 AM

Park West (Marine Drive and Capilano Road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Oct.25 '20, my pic

Ten weeks later...

Jan.3 '21, my pics

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:52 AM

Thanks!
I expected the Park Royal ones to be taller.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Thanks!
I expected the Park Royal ones to be taller.
They got approval to add five floors after they started construction The original proposal would have been 8 stories taller.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 6:33 AM

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 6:47 AM

Thanks.
They would have been pretty short without those 5 floors.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 6:51 AM

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 3:20 PM

I found these stats slightly surprising: https://www.nsnews.com/local-news/ho...rowing-3286603

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 5:22 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I found these stats slightly surprising: https://www.nsnews.com/local-news/ho...rowing-3286603
It's almost like all the transit infrastructure that promoted densification in other communities it completely absent. Huh, who would have though?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Assuming the estimates are correct (and we won't know until this year's census data is published some time in 2022) the population stagnation on much of the North Shore isn't new. It's a function of 21st Century demographics, and the same statistics can be seen in the west side of Vancouver, parts of Burnaby and even in Surrey, where this blog tends to focus on the few areas where things are being built, but not so much on the established communities where schools have been closing.

Over-simplified for the sake of brevity, household size is falling. That means that areas that don't see a lot of additional housing will see the population number fall. The average age of the population is rising in many parts of the Lower Mainland. Fewer families are having children, and those that are, are having fewer children. The 'bulge' in the population caused by the post-war baby boom are dying off faster as they reach their sixties and seventies. That means their kids have left home (finally) and a household of two becomes a household of one. There are slightly more single-person households too; singles are not pairing up or house-sharing as much as they did 20 years ago. All these factors add up to the rate of population not going up at the rate of dwelling increase.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 7:10 PM

I mean it's always going to be limited by the land base and somewhat transportation. A lot of the "prime" lots are already getting redeveloped so it will probably keep this curve for even longer vs. other municipalities that can bring on huge new developments. The biggest changes are probably rules around laneway houses/secondary suites but all that takes time and are also minor bumps to the population.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 8:10 PM

There is quite a bit development going on in DNV so I was surprised by seeing a decline. Then again, points made above do make sense.

West Vancouver is not surprising as I can count major projects in the last five years with my fingers. There is just very little happening in there outside if McMansions up on the hillside.

Traffic being as horrible as it is, North Shore is not really an appealing place to consider living. I love the closeness to nature but could not deal with the daily congestion.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 9:14 PM

Quote:
There is quite a bit development going on in DNV so I was surprised by seeing a decline. Then again, points made above do make sense.

West Vancouver is not surprising as I can count major projects in the last five years with my fingers. There is just very little happening in there outside if McMansions up on the hillside.

Traffic being as horrible as it is, North Shore is not really an appealing place to consider living. I love the closeness to nature but could not deal with the daily congestion.
It only means one thing: even lesser people per household living in the older single family homes now, when there used to be larger families living in them. Really not surprised when there are so many transient families or households, or even couples who refuse to have children these days. Even with the residents moving into the new condo units coming online, they do not make up for the population shortfall over there.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 10:26 PM

I have some experience working in/with the District of West Van. They are about as NIMBY as you can get. It's really hard to have any density when any time there's a proposal in the small number of areas where density is allowed, the community reaction is so strong against it that council ends up finding a reason to reject it (out of character, shadows, traffic, vague negative community impacts etc.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley