HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5621  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 10:53 PM
Peggerino's Avatar
Peggerino Peggerino is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 232
Awesome photos and welcome to the forum!
__________________
Keep it simple stupid
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5622  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 10:57 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggerino View Post
awesome photos and welcome to the forum!
x 2
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5623  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 11:23 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4life View Post
Nice photos!

The lot directly west of the building (shown in the photo) and across the street, this was recently purchased by Artis, was it not? I was hopeful that might have meant a 3rd Artis tower at that location. Curious what the new leadership group will plan to do with that empty lot, more so than the future of 300main (which one would assume would be completed as planned, adjustments notwithstanding).
I don't think it's the big lot. They own properties and/or the lot which are directly behind 360 Main in the photo. The lot you cant really see.

I think they own the vendome and want to strip it's heritage status. Could be wrong on that though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5624  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:37 AM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Not an expert on this at all but maybe the new leadership will just focus more on making sure the company hits the right vendors for jobs over nepotism. lol.

Wasn’t the Vendome bought by the Albos (owner of Fort Garry Hotel)?

Side note the interior signage for GoofLife is up now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5625  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 3:14 AM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,359
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/heritage-tag-rankles-developers-394907631.html

This article gives a summary. ARTIS was involved looking to develop the west side of Fort. Albo too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5626  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 3:45 AM
The Jabroni's Avatar
The Jabroni The Jabroni is offline
Go kicky fast, okay!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Donut Dominion
Posts: 3,379
Welcome, new people!!

Great photos!!
__________________
Back then, I used to be indecisive.

Now, I'm not so sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5627  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 4:41 AM
Bdog's Avatar
Bdog Bdog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,228
Is it just me or does the core seem to take up a huge amount of floorplate?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5628  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 4:53 AM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 9,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Is it just me or does the core seem to take up a huge amount of floorplate?
Yes, that's how it is in tall buildings, which is why they're not very economical, especially for offices. For apartments, it's not so bad because there isn't as much use for space that is far from the exterior wall and windows.
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5629  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 5:37 AM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Is it just me or does the core seem to take up a huge amount of floorplate?
You gotta put the elevators, stairwells and utilities somewhere.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5630  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 7:15 AM
Bdog's Avatar
Bdog Bdog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
You gotta put the elevators, stairwells and utilities somewhere.
I think it might just be the angle of that photo on that last page, but the core seemed to take a larger than typical amount of floorspace for a residential tower than I would have expected. But then again, I don't really have anything locally to compare it to
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5631  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:04 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
It's not so much that the core is large... it looks more or less what I'd expect for a building like that. It's that there is fairly little usable floor space surrounding the core. It gives the impression that the suites will be tiny.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5632  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:14 PM
The Jabroni's Avatar
The Jabroni The Jabroni is offline
Go kicky fast, okay!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Donut Dominion
Posts: 3,379
New page, by the way...







__________________
Back then, I used to be indecisive.

Now, I'm not so sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5633  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:54 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,359
I feel like there is a sense of scale that gets lost with these cams. I was looking at the main floor space where earls will be in the cam. And thought the floor area look really small. But then there was a photo somewhere with people standing in there. And the ceiling is very tall and floor space quite large. Just gets lost at that distance. So maybe the core is large. But the floor area is still sizeable or adequate for what the use is.

I suspect if this was an office building, the floors would be laid out differently. Larger floor area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5634  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:04 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I suspect if this was an office building, the floors would be laid out differently. Larger floor area.
When you see original renderings for the south tower of Winnipeg Square, it looks like the tower stretches the entire width of the block from Fort to Main... or close to it. This tower is very thin compared to what the pad was designed for. Not surprising considering the use, but still...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5635  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:16 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,359
It is definitely a lot smaller. The original tower was similar in shape to 360 Main. But I think even bigger.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5636  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:43 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I feel like there is a sense of scale that gets lost with these cams. I was looking at the main floor space where earls will be in the cam. And thought the floor area look really small. But then there was a photo somewhere with people standing in there. And the ceiling is very tall and floor space quite large. Just gets lost at that distance. So maybe the core is large. But the floor area is still sizeable or adequate for what the use is.

I suspect if this was an office building, the floors would be laid out differently. Larger floor area.
Definitely possible but depending what size you were expecting Earls to be... this location is almost half the size. They're going from 10,000 sqft to 6,000.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5637  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:48 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Yes, that's how it is in tall buildings, which is why they're not very economical, especially for offices. For apartments, it's not so bad because there isn't as much use for space that is far from the exterior wall and windows.
I was reading somewhere, I'll try to find it, where the sweet spot for a tall building is 60 floors. Now that doesn't mean that all builders should be building 60 storey buildings, but that taking into consideration an average floor plate size to building core ratio, 60 floors maximizes value.

Obviously you have to fill all 60 floors and a 60 storey building costs a lot more than a 30 storey building but apparently, all things considered 60 is it.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5638  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 3:00 PM
dmacc dmacc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I was reading somewhere, I'll try to find it, where the sweet spot for a tall building is 60 floors. Now that doesn't mean that all builders should be building 60 storey buildings, but that taking into consideration an average floor plate size to building core ratio, 60 floors maximizes value.

Obviously you have to fill all 60 floors and a 60 storey building costs a lot more than a 30 storey building but apparently, all things considered 60 is it.
Can you imagine a 60 storey in Winnipeg? I pray I live to see the day.

Now is that 60 Storeys for commercial or residential?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5639  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 3:04 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,933
I can't remember clearly, it might be office but I'm not sure.

I don't think that this is the article I remember, but it talks about it.

https://buildingtheskyline.org/skyscraper-height-i/

"The point of this exercise was to demonstrate that the supertall towers rising in Manhattan during the late 1920s were not “freak” buildings, but rather, were based on reasonable economic foundations.[1] They showed that when one did all of the accounting—comparing the income to the costs—the height that maximized the return was 63 stories. (Ironically, this is not that much different than today."
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5640  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 3:30 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Can you imagine a 60 storey in Winnipeg? I pray I live to see the day.

Now is that 60 Storeys for commercial or residential?
If Edmonton can hit 66 storeys and Kelowna is now slated to get a 42 storey building then I don't think it's out of the question for Winnipeg to hit 60.

If it happened, it would likely be a Stantec Tower like mishmash where you basically stack two or three buildings on top of one another to create impressive height. So imagine a scenario where True North Square was rearranged to shift several functions into one really tall tower... 25 storeys of apartments, 15 storeys of hotel rooms and 20-odd office floors.

That being said, I think there is less pressure for that kind of thing here from a growth perspective. We also don't have the kind of skyscraper arms race happening like there is between Edmonton and Calgary. But it could still conceivably happen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:59 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.