HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 7:29 PM

^ ThebiteofSuarez... those photos are both interesting in that they show the progress of the respective projects, as well as beautifully composed from a technical/artistic perspective. Thank you!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 7:59 PM
Architectural Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
^ ThebiteofSuarez... those photos are both interesting in that they show the progress of the respective projects, as well as beautifully composed from a technical/artistic perspective. Thank you!
thanks! I appreciate your words!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 8:45 PM

Thank you WayoutWest, Radio5, and ThebiteofSuarez for your updates!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Some incredibly shocking news for everyone:

Ex-Deputy Mayor of LA, Developers Charged in Real Estate Bribery Scandal
Looks like we won't be seeing Gov. Garcetti any time soon.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:51 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Also looks like the 77-story new tallest is DOA as well. The lead developer on that is one of only two developers to have criminal charges levied. RIP, new tallest. RIP.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 8:14 AM

If we can now get a 1500’+ skyscraper on that 6th and Hope parking lot, that’d be great 😉

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:29 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ By 6th and Hope, do you mean the lot next to the Standard? I believe that's owned by the Standard, and is part of that property. So they would have to develop it, to the detriment of the views of their rooftop, which once the pandemic is over, is one of their top selling points - and sources of revenue.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 5:00 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Looks like we won't be seeing Gov. Garcetti any time soon.
Or the new tallest

Quote:
If we can now get a 1500’+ skyscraper on that 6th and Hope parking lot, that’d be great
1.5k seems like stretch but I hope some legitimately tall proposals arise in LA this decade once the pandemic clears, considering none of the current ones seem likely.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Or the new tallest

1.5k seems like stretch but I hope some legitimately tall proposals arise in LA this decade once the pandemic clears, considering none of the current ones seem likely.
Optimism after COVID passes should help

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 11:44 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
You're very fixated on height.

DTLA isn't enough of a premium market yet to warrant really tall buildings, unless it's for a prominent location. I would rather we fill out our DT with buildings in the 100-500' range.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:50 AM

^^^ To quote the best movie of all time, Independence Day.

"I've been saying it. I've been saying it for 10 damn years, aint I been saying it skyscraperpage ? I've been saying it. "

And thank you for saying it with me .

I just want a sea of 300-600 proposals. Literally. Give me 30-50 of those proposed downtown and i'll be happy. Anything over 1000 is fun but DTLA needs more of the midrange. Broadway and the surrounding area already has the 100s-200s down for a generation I feel and some good ones if they get refurbished, which is already happening. I Just need south park to be more realistic with more buildings (realistic since its still full of gaps) and we sometimes neglect the civic center areas, i need little Tokyo to get a dozen 300-400 footers covered with some neon frosting.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
You're very fixated on height.

DTLA isn't enough of a premium market yet to warrant really tall buildings, unless it's for a prominent location. I would rather we fill out our DT with buildings in the 100-500' range.
Yeah some people are just unrealistic. Developers aren't going to invest in supertalls if they're just going to sit empty. There's no ROI for doing so, especially given the long and expensive approval process.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 6:04 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I also agree that LA should focus on mid rises. Being on a decently continuous plain between the ocean and hills/ mountains, it has all the room it needs to develop its downtown and surrounding core neighborhoods into something like. Barcelona, Tokyo, Sao Paolo, or Mexico City.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 7:18 PM

My excitement is the old rundown historic buildings being brought back to their glory. The Merritt Building revealed more this week and imo it is turning out so beautiful.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 7:50 PM

Looks amazing. Did they reconstruct the lower facade, or is the ridged pattern the original stone that has been cleaned?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Looks amazing. Did they reconstruct the lower facade, or is the ridged pattern the original stone that has been cleaned?
They reconstructed that lower ridged portion. It was removed awhile back for the sake of “modernization” I believe like some buildings in downtown did

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 1:49 AM

Tall Building Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
^^^ To quote the best movie of all time, Independence Day.

"I've been saying it. I've been saying it for 10 damn years, aint I been saying it skyscraperpage ? I've been saying it. "

And thank you for saying it with me .

I just want a sea of 300-600 proposals. Literally. Give me 30-50 of those proposed downtown and i'll be happy. Anything over 1000 is fun but DTLA needs more of the midrange. Broadway and the surrounding area already has the 100s-200s down for a generation I feel and some good ones if they get refurbished, which is already happening. I Just need south park to be more realistic with more buildings (realistic since its still full of gaps) and we sometimes neglect the civic center areas, i need little Tokyo to get a dozen 300-400 footers covered with some neon frosting.

As of the present, are not these four large building projects well under construction in downtown LA? (Other than Oceanside) (1) Brookfield, a 64 story 700 footer. (2) Pico and Fig, a 530 footer and 300 footer. (3) 8th and Fig, a 500 footer. And (4) Grand Ave, a 500 and 300 footer. Is this correct?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 2:19 AM

^^^ Correct, which is great news. It's what LA needs.

Admittedly 10+ years ago, I was one of the main ones screaming that LA needs to go bigger. In reality, seeing Metropolis and Oceanwide (almost) completed, my biggest issue was those big parking lots. Now, i look forward to Infill in the 300-600 range. Yes, What you mentioned is within that range, but, give me 10 times those going up or at least proposed and I'll be happy.

I'm not going to name other cities, but, LA's big sister that sits on an island and LA's big little sister in the Midwest do amazing with with their downtowns as is. But. What gets me is the other cities with downtowns that seem and feel very east coast and dense with a bustling street life but not even half the size of LA. Its not tall buildings that make this happen, its buildings in the mid range with great street facing retail and other amenities that get the streets feeling.....Real. If that makes sense.

Last edited by caligrad; Dec 8, 2020 at 1:32 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Its not tall buildings that make this happen, its buildings in the mid range with great street facing retail and other amenities that get the streets feeling.....Real. If that makes sense.
People on here are finally starting to get it...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
^^^ Correct, which is great news. It's what LA needs.

Admittedly 10+ years ago, I was one of the main ones screaming that LA needs to go bigger. In reality, seeing Metropolis and Oceanwide (almost) completed, my biggest issue was those big parking lots. Now, i look forward to Infill in the 300-600 range. Yes, What you mentioned is within that range, but, give me 10 times those going up or at least proposed and I'll be happy.

I'm not going to name other cities, but, outside of LA's big sister and LA's big little sister in the Midwest, there are other downtown that seem and feel very east coast at not even half the size of LA as a whole. Its not tall buildings that make this happen, its buildings in the mid range with great street facing retail and other amenities that get the streets feeling.....Real. If that makes sense.
I think another reason those smaller cities feel very easy coast is because they don’t build podiums and are build towers themselves.. or their older buildings, just like LA, are built wall to wall with no height restriction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations