HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 8:04 PM
New Yorker for life

This site will join with Grand Central to form one, qualifying site under the east midtown rezoning. That's why the lot size will be more than twice that of 270 Park (about 204,000 sf). In that case, even with the full tower, the site would be underbuilt. A lot that size, with the given FAR of 27 would allow for a tower of 5.5 msf of floor area, likely well above 6 msf total. But that would entail transferring more development rights onto the site, more money for public improvements, etc. The base FAR of 15, which all the sites have, would give a tower of just over 3 msf, close to what they would be building.

Otherwise, if the Hyatt site alone was used, the FAR for the proposed building would be at 39. A look at this site as compared to other potential and projected sites in the GC area...

Grand Hyatt site, 57,000 sf FAR of 27

One Vanderbilt, 44,000 sf FAR of 30

Roosevelt Hotel, 43,000 sf FAR of 30

237 Park Avenue, 65,000 sf FAR of 23 (or 25), a little larger in size because of Depew Place

250 Park Avenue, an unusual site, the lot size larger than the buildable area at 50,000 sf (actual lot is about half that size, probably due to Vanderbilt Ave). This is a projected site, and a building I would like to remain. But with a FAR of 27, it would generate enough floor area to rival One Vanderbilt, on a smaller lot. Anything built here would be very tall, much taller than 343 Madison. I still want it to remain.

270 Park Avenue, 80,000 sf, with a FAR of 23

277 Park Avenue, one I can't figure out, with a lot size of double what it should be, at 162,672 sf.

With the same FAR as 270 Park at 23, that would generate a floor area of 3.74 msf. A tower of that size would be well over 4 msf if built.

But those are just projections using the available zoning, doesn't mean anything has to happen, or will happen anytime soon. But it does open the door up for it, and we are seeing that play out. First order of business is getting this through, and on to the next project.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 3:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Greatly anticipating the improvments to the terminal.

NOVEMBER 29, 2020

Ground level view of pedestrian improvements in and around the terminal...

The beautiful Vanderbilt Hall

Shoppers above, in the Apple store

Here we see the low ceilings of the Lexington Passage, which runs beneath the Hyatt. Plans are to rebuild this, with greater ceiling heights. It could use it.

On the opposite side of the market, the Graybar Passage (running beneath the landmarked Graybar Building) is more in line with the appearance of the rest of the terminal.

People stand in line to get into the Apple store, but at least they have a nice view.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 3:32 PM
BANNED

I've always wanted to see the spaces within the arches on the left (and the empty upper arches on the right) covered with mirrors that replicate the ones on the right.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 4:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I've always wanted to see the spaces within the arches on the left (and the empty upper arches on the right) covered with mirrors that replicate the ones on the right.

I feel like mirrors would cheapen the space. I know that they will be adding skylights to the expanded and enlarged 42nd Street passage. It was something I was hoping they could do with the Lexington passage. But the higher ceilings will greatly improve that space. I've also been studying the ground and second floor diagrams, and there will be an entrance to the 2nd floor office lobby from both 42nd St and the Lexington passage, similar to the Met Life entrance on the main concourse.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 4:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I feel like mirrors would cheapen the space. I know that they will be adding skylights to the expanded and enlarged 42nd Street passage. It was something I was hoping they could do with the Lexington passage. But the higher ceilings will greatly improve that space. I've also been studying the ground and second floor diagrams, and there will be an entrance to the 2nd floor office lobby from both 42nd St and the Lexington passage, similar to the Met Life entrance on the main concourse.
I’ve envisioned something that would precisely parallel what’s in the arches on the south side of that corridor, but instead of having clear glass between the black grids, there would be mirrors. The stone looks too heavy.

Since I don’t take the New Haven line, I rarely go to that area, but I’d still like to see it get more light.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 5:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I’ve envisioned something that would precisely parallel what’s in the arches on the south side of that corridor, but instead of having clear glass between the black grids, there would be mirrors. The stone looks too heavy.

Since I don’t take the New Haven line, I rarely go to that area, but I’d still like to see it get more light.

That heavy look it what makes the station look like it does. No more glass, unless it's to bring in more natural light from above.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 4:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Maybe somebody can add the new towers here..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHaUMxHslpD/

It's pretty amazing just how built up this looks currently, when really it's only the tip of the iceberg for what's to come

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 3, 2020 at 4:47 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Got a chance to view some of the presentation for CB5, which mostly focused on where the action is, the ground level improvements. I'm even more excited for this development now.
Overall, the CB did a good job with questioning, although there was one older guy who kept asking why this building couldn't just be a nice, 800 ft building like the Met Life, lol. Also
there was a suggestion that any developer should just pay for the public improvements out of the goodness of their hearts.

On that note, even though the Hyatt/Grand Central lots will be treated as a single lot for zoning purposes, they will still have to pay for the use of those remaining air rights.
The City says Ka-ching! (Depending on how you look at it, that's either a shakedown, or smart zoning, and applies to all in Hudson Yards and Midtown East).

The elevated plaza (or I should say plazas) was the idea of Borough President Gale Brewer. Credit where credit is due, I love the idea. It's basically what would happen
if they created a High Line type park one the GC viaduct. It's multi-level, and I can't wait to explore it.

The design of the building, of course, is still in design phase, but there will be some presentation of it before the end of the month.

And finally, some grabs from the presentation...

You can see the outline of the outdoor plaza here, as it wraps around the building. To be known as the Chrysler, Graybar, and Grand Central terraces.

Overview of ground floor improvements...

Some preliminary renderings of the 42nd Street passage/transit hall...

Some subway line (4,5,6) station improvements include removing the obstructions in green...

To allow for a cleaner flow, additional stairs. (Different improvements for this station will come from the 343 Madison development).

There will also be a direct connection to the subway station (bypassing the rest of the terminal) from the lower level concourse and the new LIRR terminal.

A section view of the Lexington passage, including the escalators that they expect half of the tenants to use to enter the terminal...

Lexington Avenue side, where the hotel entrance will be...

The multi-level terraces. It may be programmed with some retail and a restaurant...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 1:52 PM
BANNED

This will be amazing. That raised roadway above GCT must be made into a park and incorporated into the Hyatt park. Also, all of Vanderbilt should be green space.

Last edited by JMKeynes; Dec 3, 2020 at 2:17 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:47 PM

Those people who expect - nay, demand - that developers just fork out cash for nothing in return are insane. I wonder if they can tie their own shoelaces; "But why can't it just tie itself?!1!"

So there's our first tentative view of the tower's base. It'll almost certainly change and it's probably not even the actual design, just a visionary render they cooked up for the presentation, but it looks cool. Lots of spidery gunmetal trusses. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 5:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
Those people who expect - nay, demand - that developers just fork out cash for nothing in return are insane. I wonder if they can tie their own shoelaces; "But why can't it just tie itself?!1!"

So there's our first tentative view of the tower's base. It'll almost certainly change and it's probably not even the actual design, just a visionary render they cooked up for the presentation, but it looks cool. Lots of spidery gunmetal trusses. Fingers crossed.

I don’t understand those people. As far as the base goes, I would go so far as to say that’s likely close to what we’re getting. There was no reason to present something like that. It reminds me of when we first got a peek of the 270 Park base. It was a hint of the tower to come.

Everything will be refined, I’m sure the Hyatt will have a nice entrance. I would rather a sculpture, statue, or some other piece of art next to that subway entrance on Lex, that tree seems out of place.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 6:03 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
That raised roadway above GCT must be made into a park and incorporated into the Hyatt park.
Not going to happen. That's Park Avenue, not some little used private drive. An all green Vanderbilt would be nice.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 6:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Not going to happen. That's Park Avenue, not some little used private drive. An all green Vanderbilt would be nice.
That roadway is not heavily used and is not essential to traffic flow.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
That roadway is not heavily used and is not essential to traffic flow.

Well sir, when I'm in the area taking photos, and I'm standing in front of the Helmsley building waiting for a light to stop that traffic streaming out of it so I can have a chance to cross, it doesn't seem non-essential or lightly used.

But maybe they'll be able to divert that traffic underground someday. They built a brand new concourse for the LIRR on the lower level of the GCT tracks, they can probably spare a little more room for a few lanes of traffic. I would love a High Line type park on that viaduct (which is landmarked).

Until then, it's open and free of traffic on Saturdays in August. Some old photos I took from up there of Vanderbilt's early construction...

Here's a clip someone took of the drive through, you can catch a glimpse of the Hyatt...

Video Link

And another clip of a walk up there, which would be great year 'round...

Video Link

One more view...

Video Link

Looks like the plaza could extend a little where that last clip is taken...

There was a brief mention at the community board meeting about a further connection. Also, there was mention(and enthusiasm) about the obvious elephant in the room, which I don't really want to get into here.

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 4, 2020 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 11:23 AM

Can someone emerge grand hyatt 502m into the skyline i wann know the impact of this building !!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 8:39 PM

From Mackensen on forum.newyorkyimby.com

https://forum.newyorkyimby.com/t/new...loors/4781/147

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 12:50 AM

From my 3d model. Need renderings! Haven't updated 270 either. need renderings for that too.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 1:01 AM
New Yorker for life

This is great. Almost makes me want a spire on top. Very sexy, like the Chrysler.

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 1:54 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
This is great. Almost makes me want a spire on top. Very sexy, like the Chrysler.
Yeah its sort of looking like Ping An Finance Center with the top cut off

someone should do a rendering with Ping An Tower where the Hyatt is.. im curious

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals