HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
^^^ Not necessarily. People forget that when the US Bank Building was completed in 1989/1990, it was the 6th tallest building in the world and tallest building outside of NYC and Chicago. So. I can totally see LA getting a 1300-1500 footer fairly soon honestly and something taller within my lifetime (I'm 32). Its funny, LA has always had some of the tallest buildings in the world, until Asia threw its hat in the ring in the early 2000s. I always laugh when people roll their eyes at LA for not having a crap load of tall buildings when in fact, rewind 20 years or so and the entire downtown skyline was in the top 100 tallest buildings in the world lol. That's why I'm focused on 300-600 footers at the moment. Density, price point, viability. Fill in more gaps, add about 30 more buildings downtown in the 300-600 range and LA will for sure get a 1500 proposed. I already have a location in mind (Looking at you smart and finals on fig).
I remember going on Soaring Over California way back in the early 2000s and gawking over the river of L.A. traffic and the towering skyline, it hasn't changed all that much since those days, being relatively young I haven't seen the major changes that the skyline went through, but seeing recent rapidly growing skylines like Shenzhen, Melbourne, Toronto and Vancouver give me hope that LA's time will come and that major changes can happen fast. L.A. is a pantheon of cultures and business and the basin is finally filled out completely, to the point that going up is all anyone can do. Also not to mention the housing market and density have reached a perfect storm where those parking spaces and warehouses are like placeholders for a sea of tower development. L.A. really can be the Bladerunner city that visionaries have imagined, not many cities have this kind of potential over such a massive developed area as L.A. basin does, the population also fits the massive scale. So in a sense, the stunted growth of the downtown core with all of those 1-2 story junk buildings and parking lots surrounding it saved the best for last (21st-22nd century architecture and building technology). It's looking like we will get the last laugh.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 10:53 AM

Something added,

Quote:
^^^ Not necessarily. People forget that when the US Bank Building was completed in 1989/1990, it was the 6th tallest building in the world and tallest building outside of NYC and Chicago. So. I can totally see LA getting a 1300-1500 footer fairly soon honestly and something taller within my lifetime (I'm 32). Its funny, LA has always had some of the tallest buildings in the world, until Asia threw its hat in the ring in the early 2000s. I always laugh when people roll their eyes at LA for not having a crap load of tall buildings when in fact, rewind 20 years or so and the entire downtown skyline was in the top 100 tallest buildings in the world lol. That's why I'm focused on 300-600 footers at the moment. Density, price point, viability. Fill in more gaps, add about 30 more buildings downtown in the 300-600 range and LA will for sure get a 1500 proposed. I already have a location in mind (Looking at you smart and finals on fig).

Yes, I remember a book written back in 1997 that listed the 100 tallest buildings in the world. At that time 18 of them were in New York, 10 were in Chicago, and 6 were in both Los Angeles and Houston. Those four US cities made up 40 out of the total 100. All the other cities throughout the US and the world only bested 4,3,2, or 1 building that made the list. However that was before the explosion of mass building in Asia, the Middle East, and other parts of the world.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
I remember going on Soaring Over California way back in the early 2000s and gawking over the river of L.A. traffic and the towering skyline, it hasn't changed all that much since those days, being relatively young I haven't seen the major changes that the skyline went through, but seeing recent rapidly growing skylines like Shenzhen, Melbourne, Toronto and Vancouver give me hope that LA's time will come and that major changes can happen fast. L.A. is a pantheon of cultures and business and the basin is finally filled out completely, to the point that going up is all anyone can do. Also not to mention the housing market and density have reached a perfect storm where those parking spaces and warehouses are like placeholders for a sea of tower development. L.A. really can be the Bladerunner city that visionaries have imagined, not many cities have this kind of potential over such a massive developed area as L.A. basin does, the population also fits the massive scale. So in a sense, the stunted growth of the downtown core with all of those 1-2 story junk buildings and parking lots surrounding it saved the best for last (21st-22nd century architecture and building technology). It's looking like we will get the last laugh.
Weird...early 2000’s??? They were just saying on the news how much DTLA skyline has changed in the past 5 years. South Park has changed drastically. I had a couple of friends from NYC that was here and when looking at the view, they were saying that it’s like a mini city has been built in that area. Though they haven’t been here since 2014. I’m curious how you have noticed much change. The change has been very apparent.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Weird...early 2000’s??? They were just saying on the news how much DTLA skyline has changed in the past 5 years. South Park has changed drastically. I had a couple of friends from NYC that was here and when looking at the view, they were saying that it’s like a mini city has been built in that area. Though they haven’t been here since 2014. I’m curious how you have noticed much change. The change has been very apparent.
The towering nature of Bunker Hill has maintained itself, other than Wilshire Grand, nothing new is under the Sun really. And with that the skyline's character is relatively unchanged albeit some modest towers. I agree with you that the skyline HAS changed because I know where to look, but to the layman, I can't see how they would notice these changes. Also the boxy nature of the skyline makes it hard to notice any changes, yes Wilshire Grand has made a modest impact due to its unusual shape and size (relatively speaking), but it's kind of buried in the heap of towers of Bunker Hill. L.A. needs at least 10+ more 100m+ towers in the general downtown vicinity to make an impact to the layman. Or at least one more tallest building, and a noticeably taller top floor than Wilshire Grand's cheating spire, it also can't be a box if it's barely going to surpass the current tallest. We all know what L.A. needs but it isn't coming anytime soon, the potential has been here for a while.

Last edited by Niftybox; Nov 20, 2020 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 4:18 AM

^^^ I get what you're saying. Honestly, I might have to agree and disagree. If that makes sense. People who visit downtown on a regular and live in LA in general or even live in surrounding areas and cities will notice the difference. My family who came out here from Oklahoma back in January didn't notice any change, but I wouldn't expect them to. To them, downtown is still big and amazing lol so it could double in size and they still wouldn't notice. So I would say it depends. But for those who frequent LA a few times a year or even once a year will notice the difference immediately. Those who haven't been here in 5 years wouldn't know or care.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Those who haven't been here in 5 years wouldn't know or care.
That's the layman I was referring to.

To add to that, Bunker Hill towers are super massive in girth and height, and the added fact that everything surrounding not on the hill appear even shorter/smaller. And even more, the hill is basically invisible/unnoticeable from a distance, and the layman again, don't know this. With that known, a very large quantity of very large towers NOT on the hill are required to stack up against those buildings to expand/enhance the skyline, it's a double edged sword. Buildings that would normally enhance a city's skyline, won't have the same impact in L.A's downtown.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
That's the layman I was referring to.

To add to that, Bunker Hill towers are super massive in girth and height, and the added fact that everything surrounding not on the hill appear even shorter/smaller. And even more, the hill is basically invisible/unnoticeable from a distance, and the layman again, don't know this. With that known, a very large quantity of very large towers NOT on the hill are required to stack up against those buildings to expand/enhance the skyline, it's a double edged sword. Buildings that would normally enhance a city's skyline, won't have the same impact in L.A's downtown.

There are three different levels of street car tunnels that run through Bunker Hill. Also subway lines, and who knows what else might be lurking down there. The tall buildings located on the hill have their foundations built deep into the hill.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:31 AM

Where is UrbnerdSF j/k

Thanks for the pictures !

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
LA will for sure get a 1500 proposed. I already have a location in mind (Looking at you smart and finals on fig).
Same actually (although I wouldn't mind replacing the Macy's at 7th/Metro Center instead.

I always thought an 1848' tower would be particularly cool because of its symbolic importance to California and to beat 1WTC.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Yea, there was almost nothing around the Pico station pre 2015. Now look at it lol. Driving east on the 10 and you see a massive difference from 5 or 6 years ago.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmkef View Post
Not sure if it was already posted here, but there's another hotel project aiming for that
tiny empty lot in South Park next to Luma and EVO (1130 S Hope, 12th and Hope)

There was another project approved there years ago, but I guess things fell through and that permit expired or something. This one would be 11 stories, 114 rooms, and have a small retail space at the bottom. No restaurant/bar like I think the previous entry may have had. Seems low-key enough to fit into the neighborhood, though there are already so many empty storefronts under the buildings in South Park... hopefully the post-covid resurgence brings them to life.

https://dlanc.com/wp-content/uploads...aterials-1.pdf
When it comes to hotel/motel designs in this country, I never get excited about it. Interestingly, the motel/hotel chain hotels they build in Europe are much more attractive, curiously so. I believe that in Europe, they're much more demanding when it comes to design work, or due to competition.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmkef View Post

Sidenote, but the NIMBY squad is out in full force against that 1130 S Hope hotel. Local condo residents don't want their view blocked or pool shaded, though perhaps they should take a look at the development maps to see how much of a lost cause that is. Could make for a spicy neighborhood council meeting tonight.
I was predicting, long ago, the Nimby's would start raising a stink in DTLA, blocking views, etc. So the time has arrived?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
I was predicting, long ago, the Nimby's would start raising a stink in DTLA, blocking views, etc. So the time has arrived?
Funny how they're silent over homeless filth and crime waves. But gentrification or any attempt of moving surrounding architecture into the 21st Century is a big no-no. Basically the things that move civilizations forward are deemed racist and un-progressive. Not trying getting into politics, but it's hard not to when all you want is the city to move forward.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car(e)-Free LA View Post
Same actually (although I wouldn't mind replacing the Macy's at 7th/Metro Center instead.

I always thought an 1848' tower would be particularly cool because of its symbolic importance to California and to beat 1WTC.
Either an 1848’ or 1781’ tower, the year Los Angeles was founded. The tower erected on that parking lot NW on 6th and Hope sounds perfect.

Can someone update the front page, please?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 2:34 AM

^^^ You beat me to it.

Mojeda. We love you. But....... its looking a bit dissapointing lol the under construction, proposed lists are waaaay outdated. Not to mention, missing a lot of stuff.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 8:06 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
I remember reading ages ago something about people in 801 Figueroa (that nice if not short building with the 4 green columns on it's crown across the street from the 777 Tower) that they were worried about losing their 'ocean views' if any were to be built near them. Asinine really that occupants of a 25 story building 15 miles from the ocean would complain about the views or lack thereof. Moot now that Metropolis is nearby.

Also: I second (third/fourth/fifth) the notion that the first page is woefully out of date.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 8:50 PM

Fig+Pico update from the afternoon of November 23

And I don't remember the name of this development, but it occupies the length of the block between Hope and Flower just south of Pico

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 11:38 PM

Fig+Pico is a 3 tower project still correct?

Nice update btw

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Fig+Pico is a 3 tower project still correct?

Nice update btw
It's just two towers, the current 42-story for phase 1, and the 25-story in phase 2.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 3:22 AM

Lightbulb

^^^ I hope tower 2 breaks ground soon. But on that note, tower 1 is speeding by it seems. Which is always good news. Is it me or are do these new projects break ground and hit the ground running ? I could have sworn this thing barely broke ground a few months ago and it seems to already be 6 floors up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Nice!!

Here is the skyline as it is today - extremely different from how it will be in 2 years time.
Downtown Los Angeles by Hunter, on Flickr

And here is my personal list, which I will keep updating and re-uploading.

Current as of March 21st 2017:

DTLA Towers Under Construction by Hunter, on Flickr

2012-2018 Downtown LA Cycle (Proposed Towers) by Hunter, on Flickr
Just to give a perspective....This is form 4 years ago. Makes me cringe . We're making great progress honestly. If downtown can get a handful to a dozen high-rises in the 300ft-600ft range to break ground every years, i'll be happy. I think that's when people will relax a bit lol.

Last edited by caligrad; Nov 26, 2020 at 8:09 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations