HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 10:07 PM

The RDA just approved the 1.15 million loan for 255 S State St so expect construction within a month.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 10:09 PM
Engineer

The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City

In other news Salt Lake City now has it own Real Housewives show premiering tomorrow on Bravo. It's gonna be horrible you guys. I wonder if it will feature the city at all or more be The Real Housewives of Park City.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 10:44 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
In other news Salt Lake City now has it own Real Housewives show premiering tomorrow on Bravo. It's gonna be horrible you guys. I wonder if it will feature the city at all or more be The Real Housewives of Park City.
Sounds like one of those terrible shows I won't be watching.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 12:38 AM

After seeing this project 144 Main Street as a prospective project I had to "bump" the pictures again because I am so excited about it. Such an awesome building. Here's to it actually being built

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
Oh come now, embrace the trashy reality TV right here in our very own backyard!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 4:17 AM

More info for 255 S State:

Salt Lake City gives another loan in hopes of turning this State Street pit into affordable apartments

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/11/...ke-city-gives/

Quote:
Salt Lake City will loan another $1.15 million to a Chicago developer in hopes of keeping afloat the long-delayed affordable housing project at 255 S. State Street.

Different developers have struggled to build on the key downtown plot for more than eight years now for a variety of reasons, from soil problems and contractor disputes to financial issues and now a pandemic.

The additional cash for Brinshore Development — on top of $13.4 million in lending and other guarantees the city has already chipped in — got approved Tuesday after the firm said its costs had leapt by 16% in one year, partly due to COVID-19.

The new loan makes 255 S. State one of the largest recipients of financial backing from city’s Redevelopment Agency in its history, city officials noted. The total price tag for the Brinshore project is now estimated at $88.5 million.
Quote:
The developer also has found $4 million in savings through a redesign, realigned its mix of affordable apartments in the project and scaled back on parking, retail and other commercial spaces.
Quote:
...Officials with Brinshore, which ranks among the largest developers of affordable housing nationwide, also remain enthusiastic about a groundbreaking, possibly by Christmas.
Parking has been reduced down to 81 stalls. The Cramer House will no longer have any housing. Brinshore has talked to a restaurant and they would take the whole building.

Brinshore is set to close on the loans in early December and commence with Construction either towards the end of December or early January.

This should be another tower crane or 2 by Spring to the City.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 6:27 AM

new medical bldg at The U

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
More info for 255 S State:

Salt Lake City gives another loan in hopes of turning this State Street pit into affordable apartments

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/11/...ke-city-gives/

Parking has been reduced down to 81 stalls. The Cramer House will no longer have any housing. Brinshore has talked to a restaurant and they would take the whole building.

Brinshore is set to close on the loans in early December and commence with Construction either towards the end of December or early January.

This should be another tower crane or 2 by Spring to the City.
Is this from your inside knowledge? This would be fantastic! This is one of my favorite projects that I've been anxiously waiting for, mostly because of what it does by connecting the blocks and creating a vibrant active streetscape.

http://ktgy.com/work/255-south-state-street/

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
HaHa, Yes, probably ridiculous, but it's worth checking out just to see how they feature the Salt Lake City/Park City locales. The whole premise is to surprise the sizable viewership. Surprise in that the perception of Salt Lake City in being something like a backward Kansas is a misconception. I am always surprised when I am confronted by so many California transplants from flyover country who think that Salt Lake City's topography is a flat prairie, that everyone is a Mormon, that the population still dresses like the Amish, or that the economy is stuck in the past and stagnant. Amazingly, a lot of the viewership of this show is that ignorant, even those who are otherwise educated in their specific niches.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Is this from your inside knowledge? This would be fantastic! This is one of my favorite projects that I've been anxiously waiting for, mostly because of what it does by connecting the blocks and creating a vibrant active streetscape.

http://ktgy.com/work/255-south-state-street/
I had heard that they wanted to start before the end of the year but no other information. The dates and information for the loan closing and possible construction start was mentioned in the RDA meeting yesterday.

There was also an update on the Station Center planning.

The link to the meeting is here:

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 3:04 PM
Space Magi

So with all of the cost savings at 255 S State, how different do we expect the design itself to look?

Also, I heard through the alumni grapevine that the next phase of the University of Utah's mechanical engineering building expansion is beginning next month. The previous phase was finished in early 2015 and included a bridge across 200 S and adaptive reuse of the old Kennecott building. It's already a really cool building and I'm excited to see the program and facility continue to grow.

Quote:
The Phase III addition will add more than 22,800 sq. ft. to the existing complex. Phases I and II, completed in 2015, created a modern, sustainable, LEED Gold-certified home for the Department of Mechanical Engineering. During construction, the mechanical and structural elements were put in place for a four-story addition that will essentially "infill" the center of the building. Approximately 6,000 square feet at the ground level of the addition will be programmed for an innovation lab with instructional space, building bay, and maker space with laser cutters, 3-D printers and other equipment needed to take student projects from concept to completion. A variety of naming opportunities are available for this project as well.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
So with all of the cost savings at 255 S State, how different do we expect the design itself to look?
They gave a presentation in that video describing the changes. It should look pretty much identical from the outside. They removed about 20 parking stalls from the underground parking, removed a residential unit from the small house they are renovating in back (it will now be a single restaurant which they already have a tenant) and removed commercial from the second floor (replacing it with the before mentioned displaced residential unit).

They are supposed to close on December 10th. If there isn’t activity by the end of the year something is wrong because that’s when some of their tax credits expire.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 4:39 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
They gave a presentation in that video describing the changes. It should look pretty much identical from the outside. They removed about 20 parking stalls from the underground parking, removed a residential unit from the small house they are renovating in back (it will now be a single restaurant which they already have a tenant) and removed commercial from the second floor (replacing it with the before mentioned displaced residential unit).

They are supposed to close on December 10th. If there isn’t activity by the end of the year something is wrong because that’s when some of their tax credits expire.
Ah cool. I actually think the Cramer House, being isolated and framed by the new towers, is much better suited to a restaurant space than a residential unit anyway.

Excited to see the hole become something interesting! Here's hoping everything works out.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 4:44 PM

Quote:
I had heard that they wanted to start before the end of the year but no other information. The dates and information for the loan closing and possible construction start was mentioned in the RDA meeting yesterday.

There was also an update on the Station Center planning.

The link to the meeting is here:

Video Link
What exactly did they say about Station Center? I'm having difficulty accessing the video.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
What exactly did they say about Station Center? I'm having difficulty accessing the video.
The main change that they are looking at is the design of the street, 3rd South.

All the previous designs had it as a straight street. The new design has it meander, an elongated S curve. It increases the public walking spaces while also further being a detriment to traffic.

Below is a link to the document that was presented during this portion of the meeting. It is an auto-download link.

https://slc.primegov.com/meeting/att...SAA%20Analysis

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 6:56 PM

Utah Theater deal

Thanks. I was able to watch part of it on YouTube, and they talked about the Utah Theater project too. There was a discussion about complaints about the arrangement not being offered as part of a public RFP. Their lawyer said that there was nothing in place to require that it be offered up publicly until after the deal was made. I was going to listen to the rest of it, as there was still questions and clarifications about it. But, apparently, it was a deal between the developer/buyer and the city at market rate. I'm going to watch the rest of it later tonight.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 8:56 PM

Quote:
The main change that they are looking at is the design of the street, 3rd South.

All the previous designs had it as a straight street. The new design has it meander, an elongated S curve. It increases the public walking spaces while also further being a detriment to traffic.

Below is a link to the document that was presented during this portion of the meeting. It is an auto-download link.

https://slc.primegov.com/meeting/att...SAA%20Analysis
What’s interesting to me about Station Center is that it has always looked extremely doable. Sometimes I see projects proposed and think they’ll never happen. Here, however, it is generally 4-5 story apartments and the kind of commercial we have all over the city. The post district seems to be even much more of a stretch for the same kind of development. What is the holdup? Is it just mandating “affordable” housing? Difficulty working with the government?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
What’s interesting to me about Station Center is that it has always looked extremely doable. Sometimes I see projects proposed and think they’ll never happen. Here, however, it is generally 4-5 story apartments and the kind of commercial we have all over the city. The post district seems to be even much more of a stretch for the same kind of development. What is the holdup? Is it just mandating “affordable” housing? Difficulty working with the government?
One of the bigger issues is the various property owners in the project plan area.

The RDA team had come up with a plan that was 90% finalized where they had even started some talks with developers for the plan. The last plan was tossed before the end of 2019 and all talks/contracting was stopped.

I think the main reason for this was/is Stack and their request for a zoning change to allow for a taller building in the area. They also provided an updated plan for both sides of 3rd South as they have some plans to possibly do additional development in the area.

The new plan is working towards a more walkable environment and being less focused on building uses currently. The exception is that they want to have active, ground level uses.

Hopefully they will be able to get the plan updated and finalized soon. Especially with all the interest in the area.

This area is growing quickly and will be over the next many years as additional areas are opened for development, looking forward to the UTA land just north of the Central Station once their new center is built.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 10:51 AM

Sugar Town Apartments - Zoning Amendment

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=
A developer has filed a Zoning Amendment with the Planning Commission for a 4.37 acre property in Sugar House located at 850 East and 2100 South. They are requesting the property be rezoned from CC Corridor Commercial Zone (45' max) to CSHBD2 Zone (60' max). This will allow for additional height and density for residential units. They argue that with the additional height, they can provide better better amenities for residents, provide a mix of unit types and prices. They suggest that the additional 53 residential units gained by the addition of the 5th floor will be rent restricted by the 80% AMI standard in Salt Lake City.

The new development, Sugar Town Apartments, will be replacing the old Snelgrove Ice Cream Plant in Sugar House. It appears to be proposed as a five floor main structure with separate townhomes as part of the project. They don't specify how many total units the project will have or any other details.

Northwest Corner Rendering

Northeast Corner Rendering

Southwest Corner Rendering

Interior Amenity Deck Rendering

Parcel Map

Site Plan

See Additional Renderings Below

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Nov 12, 2020 at 11:52 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 12:34 PM

A lot of complexes seem to be lining up for construction along 21st So. I guess that would also be a great alternative to being right on the S-Line. It will be interesting to see how 21st South and the S-line contributes to the continued buildup of the Sugar House node and the new South Salt Lake node.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West