HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 10:02 PM

Agreed, glad to see anything developing westward.

This is probably obvious to anyone that has looked outside today, but they are definitely taking at least one crane down. Long part of the arm getting torn off:

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 11:08 PM

Oceanwide is exactly why you don't trust Chinese developers. I have nothing against the people, it's their one party government and financial + ethical indifference to ours that is like oil and water.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:12 AM

God i wish they would finish oceanwide. That alone can do soooooo much for downtown.....post covid ofcourse. Weren't they selling their project in SF ? i hope they do the same here.

Last edited by caligrad; Oct 28, 2020 at 12:45 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:46 AM

I've heard rumors from real estate people that they were selling the project to someone, but not sure if substantiated or just based on the SF project sale...

Either way, I wonder who is paying for the crane to be taken down, and why they suddenly decided to do it this week

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
Changing the subject, I found the plans for 804 S Garland, surprised I've never seen them posted here.

https://planning.lacity.org/pdiscase...e8558211cd/pdd

Not that exciting, no nice renders, and what we do get seems kind of bland. It's also only 150 feet, but honestly, I'll take anything when it comes to West of the 110.
Good find and thanks for posting!

120 apartments and 242 parking spaces, plus 83 more spaces for the businesses and childcare. Good grief!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmkef View Post
I've heard rumors from real estate people that they were selling the project to someone, but not sure if substantiated or just based on the SF project sale...

Either way, I wonder who is paying for the crane to be taken down, and why they suddenly decided to do it this week
Maybe they did it because of the high wind forecast? Or maybe since the buildings are topped out, the cranes are not needed. These buildings will be finished. Someone will do it. Just give it time. Once the covid winds down, it will happen.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Maybe they did it because of the high wind forecast? Or maybe since the buildings are topped out, the cranes are not needed. These buildings will be finished. Someone will do it. Just give it time. Once the covid winds down, it will happen.
I hope this is the case!!!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Oceanwide is exactly why you don't trust Chinese developers. I have nothing against the people, it's their one party government and financial + ethical indifference to ours that is like oil and water.
Spot On!! I couldn't agree more.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:14 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

8th and Garland looks promising. More of this type of development in City West and the periphery of downtown - or even sprinkled throughout downtown - is exactly what we need.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 7:54 PM

The old urgent care facility at 8th/Georgia has been razed.

Looks like the site for Olympia is all set to start digging and shoring. Anyone have updates on this?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 12:47 AM

^^^ All i want for christmas is for Olympia to break ground.......and maybe the 9th and fig tower haha. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 1:07 AM

For selfish reasons I want to see Onni break ground at Olympic/Hill, but Olympia would be sweet too.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
^^^ All i want for christmas is for Olympia to break ground.......and maybe the 9th and fig tower haha. Fingers crossed.
9th & Fig is basically dead at this point is it not? Any new news on it I'm not aware of?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 7:10 AM

I would add the Luxe Development to that list. It would be nice to have a complete area around LA Live... bring on the big screens and billboards!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
The old urgent care facility at 8th/Georgia has been razed.

Looks like the site for Olympia is all set to start digging and shoring. Anyone have updates on this
?

I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of that razed area....because it's right next to the fwy, where thousands of cars pass by each hour (at least before covid), it's one of the most visible sections of dtla. Just seeing it open & clear is a nice, long overdue change.

this other part of dt, one block from city hall, used to be another deadzone, dark, lifeless & unappealing....

Video Link

this current time is throwing everything & everyone for a loop...I don't know how things will turn out, but was surprised to read a few wks ago that condo sales in dt are actually doing ok, covid or no covid. So who knows what the future holds?

something odd about this moment, however, like the winning of the lakers not long ago on the heels of the dodgers winning today. But it doesn't feel real...seems more like a movie we're all in....like an altered reality.

charles dickens in the 1800s...

Quote:
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Dicken's london in 2020 is a mostly lifeless, empty, peopleless place, like the scene out of a scifi movie. Cities in many other parts of the world are going through the same thing...very strange time....

dtla in some ways is seeing the best of times, the worst of times. Land next to the fwy is finally cleaned up, a new gym in the shadow of city hall has opened, the old tower theater is being converted to an apple store....but grand central mkt is a ghost town, museums are closed, the music ctr is vacant, stores are shuttered, hotels are empty, restaurants are barren. Like a bad Hollywood movie. This movie needs a happy ending.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 4:13 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
9th & Fig is basically dead at this point is it not? Any new news on it I'm not aware of?
Why would it be? we're still within their timeline. If i remember correctly, it is supposed to break ground Q4 of this year which we're currently in. Covid throwing a wrench into that timeline i would say maybe Q2 next year. I don't believe this project had any ties to the Huizar scandal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
I would add the Luxe Development to that list. It would be nice to have a complete area around LA Live... bring on the big screens and billboards!
I think the Luxe is dead dead until further notice. If i recall, The Luxe project is Chinese backed. With the way things are going in the relations department, its not looking pretty. Plus the last we've heard anything from them was mid 2017. a year of silence is one thing. Maybe 2. Going on 4 is starting to become worrisome. But. I'm probably the lone person on here who preferred the denser 3 tower project over the 2 towers. So if its canceled and reverted back to 3 towers, i wont be upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
For selfish reasons I want to see Onni break ground at Olympic/Hill, but Olympia would be sweet too.
Touché, honestly, i've gotten so spoiled with Onni that I'm not worried about them since i know no matter what their towers have over a 90% chance of happening. But. If Onni was ablle to start construction on everything they have planned downtown, that'll be my 3rd wish for Christmas lol.

Last edited by caligrad; Oct 29, 2020 at 4:26 AM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 2:29 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

The Luxe project is directly mired in the Huizar scandal, but they are looking for ways to pay penalties to be absolved of it. Which may just be their way of cutting bait and moving on.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
I think the Luxe is dead dead until further notice. If i recall, The Luxe project is Chinese backed. With the way things are going in the relations department, its not looking pretty. Plus the last we've heard anything from them was mid 2017. a year of silence is one thing. Maybe 2. Going on 4 is starting to become worrisome. But. I'm probably the lone person on here who preferred the denser 3 tower project over the 2 towers. So if its canceled and reverted back to 3 towers, i wont be upset.
Not sure if serious. This is a skyscraper forum!

I agree that it’s likely dead, although the Lakers did just win a title. IIRC the head of the company building it is a huge Lakers fan.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 4:45 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Why would it be? we're still within their timeline. If i remember correctly, it is supposed to break ground Q4 of this year which we're currently in. Covid throwing a wrench into that timeline i would say maybe Q2 next year. I don't believe this project had any ties to the Huizar scandal.

I also assumed that one was long dead, would be incredible if a near 1000 footer could be built near the Staples Center area. Or just anywhere in LA really.

I think that's the most likely very tall project since 333 Figueroa is Chinese backed (i.e. will never happen).

I'm still hoping for Angel's Landing or Olympia, hopefully covid didn't kill those.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 5:41 PM

The developer for 9th/Fig is “Regalian”. Have they built anything before? If not, I see this as speculative, but would like to be surprised.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations