HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 8:43 PM

ELKS building modifications and adjacent new residential structure

Record PLNHLC2020-00816:
Historic Landmark Commission - Major Alter
139 E SOUTH TEMPLE St SLC

Project Description:
Elks Building Rehabilitation - new construction and demo.
Complete rehab of Elks Building, including removal of existing rooftop addition and construction of new rooftop addition. Also includes adjacent new construction and rehab of adjacent 1st Avenue buildings.

renderings available under the "attachments tab"
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
ELKS building modifications and adjacent new residential structure

Record PLNHLC2020-00816:
Historic Landmark Commission - Major Alter
139 E SOUTH TEMPLE St SLC

Project Description:
Elks Building Rehabilitation - new construction and demo.
Complete rehab of Elks Building, including removal of existing rooftop addition and construction of new rooftop addition. Also includes adjacent new construction and rehab of adjacent 1st Avenue buildings.

renderings available under the "attachments tab"
Long time in the pipeline. Glad they are finally moving forward. One minor quibble, I wish they would incorporate some of the same colored brick in the new building as they have in the historic structure to kind of tie the historic building and the Brigham Apartments a bit more together.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 5:10 AM

West quarter is going from cool to meh... sweeeeeet. :/

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
???

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
Do you mean instead, The West Quarter Hotel is going from meh to cool?? I'm okay with the old design of the hotel. Just a subjective opinion, but there are changes to this new design that I prefer over the old design.

Also, great to hear about movement on Sugar Alley, which seems to be one of everybody's favorite projects, and finally The Elks Club building is getting its long-awaited rehab!!! Just when I think there's going to be a little breather before new additional projects, more big announcements come out. Wow, I am still now checking out the renderings of the rehabbed Elks and the new luxury building going up next door. There are so many details to cover on this project. I'm glad they waited until now to redevelop those properties. This is a huge improvement over the old proposals! The exterior of the new apartment building will be classical and very upscale. Perhaps, this is just my subjective opinion, but I think the transition in color palette from The Elks to the New Structure to Brighams Landing will work well. All of South Temple is very eclectic in design and color palette. The most important element of course is to not make the same mistakes in design and brick manufacturing as were made with a few of the '60s-70s buildings that replaced their better predecessors. From what I'm reading into the exterior finish descriptions, the design aesthetic and materials finish used will be very upscale and much along the same line as the new base rehab of the old University Club Tower across the street. It will be a high-quality design and overall look. I like everything about these plans, including the rehab of that ugly parking garage off of 1st. Of course, always great to get rid of a parking lot, especially one on South Temple.

Regarding the University Club Tower. Meh, I guess the tower portion is simplistic enough to meld with the new base, but with an emphasis on 'kind of' okay. As long as they keep the surface of the tower cleaned. However, I can't help but think that the new base kind of outclasses the tower somewhat?

Last edited by delts145; Oct 24, 2020 at 1:19 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 1:00 PM

Chrome Works - 234 residential unit development - Design Review

269 W. Brooklyn Ave

A developer appears to be planning on filing a design review application for their property located at: 269 W Brooklyn Ave, Salt Lake City, UT
The project is proposed to be 6 floors of 234 residential units sitting on a two floor podium (8 floors total). It also appears to be the first phase in what may be a two phase development.

Application Objective:
Quote:
As originally conceived, the multifamily projects at 269 Brooklyn Avenue was to be a height of 60 feet, conforming to CG zoning code. Recently, we learned that environmental concerns are suggesting that our planned basement parking may not be advisable, due to the water table level, therefore we are requesting Design Review to approve that we raise the building height from 60 to 65 feet. While this is permitted for our CG zoning, exceeding a height of 60’ requires design review.

This approach would put the first level at -1-0 and the bottom of our 3’ matt slab at -4’-0, which is ideal because the first 4’ of soil is organic and has to be removed no matter. If the water table is at -6’-0 (it is probably lower) our vapor mitigation system located right under the slab would be well above the water table. And we would never have any water in our site drainage system and hence no monitoring costs. The vapor mitigation and site drainage might be able to be combined into one.
Project Description
Quote:
269 Brooklyn Avenue is a proposed 234-unit multifamily building targeting low income residents earning 60% of Area Median Income (AMI). Project equity is to be financed with 4% Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC) issued by Utah Housing Corporation. Parking will be provided in the 2:1 ration mandated by CG zoning. The project is composed of studio, one bedroom and two-bedroom micro units. There are 191 studios, 134 of which have 383 square feet, although studios range in size from 332 square feet
to 447 square feet; One bedroom units total 22, ten of which have 498 square feet, with a range from 460 to 673 square feet. Two-bedroom units total 21, with ten units of 600 square feet, ranging from 580 to 677 square feet.

Both projects will have two levels of concrete podium providing parking, lobby and residential units. Five stories of wood-frame construction will be constructed above the podium, comprised of residential units and community space on the rooftop. Exterior construction materials combine an attractive mix of Mineral fiber siding, stucco and metal panels.

1050 S. Washington Street

There appears to be a second portion of the Chrome Works development (as indicated in the first image below) that will include a 7 level structure on the site directly south of 269 Brooklyn, as I have indicated (I added red boxes separating the two sites (the dashed lines were already included by developer)) in the 'Vicinity Map' (second image below).

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 1:15 PM

Those would be just north of Target on 300 West...turning into a pocket of development that could become an interesting neighborhood, close enough to TRAX and some restaurant and retail possibilities.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
Construction fencing is going up around Carl's this morning.
Did a tear just come to my eye? I never thought I'd see the day.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 1:22 PM

^^^

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 1:25 PM

Amazing! The good news just keeps on coming...Blah_Amazing, could you or someone post some of those attractive renderings of the new Elks Development. I need to take the time to figure out how to cut and paste off of the PDF's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
269 W. Brooklyn Ave

A developer appears to be planning on filing a design review application for their property located at: 269 W Brooklyn Ave, Salt Lake City, UT
The project is proposed to be 6 floors of 234 residential units sitting on a two floor podium (8 floors total). It also appears to be the first phase in what may be a two phase development.

Application Objective:

Project Description

1050 S. Washington Street

There appears to be a second portion of the Chrome Works development (as indicated in the first image below) that will include a 7 level structure on the site directly south of 269 Brooklyn, as I have indicated (I added red boxes separating the two sites (the dashed lines were already included by developer)) in the 'Vicinity Map' (second image below).

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Amazing! The good news just keeps on coming...Blah_Amazing, could you or someone post some of those attractive renderings of the new Elks Development. I need to take the time to figure out how to cut and paste off of the PDF's.
Yeah, I can.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 2:27 PM

granary streetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Those would be just north of Target on 300 West...turning into a pocket of development that could become an interesting neighborhood, close enough to TRAX and some restaurant and retail possibilities.
I always thought the granary streetcar should run down 400 W and loop to the ballpark station by using the existing track that already goes through that area but all the renderings either have it loop over at 700 or 900 S. You could have a new stop right around that area (by the brooklyn ave. parking lot) to give access to a ton of shopping and the new apartments going up.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Yeah, I can.
Thanks Blah_Amazing. Very much appreciated.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 4:09 PM

The Elks Block Redevelopment

The new building will be eight floors (5+podium) and 87 residential units.

Project Brief:
Quote:
The property consists of multiple parcels totaling approx. 3 acres in Downtown Salt Lake City at the northeast corner of State and South Temple. The redevelopment proposal is for the rehabilitation and renovation of the Elks Building, site, and the attached parking structure along 1st Avenue. The Elks Building will be preserved and improved for use as an office building. The design proposal is to remove the mid-century additions that have been added onto the building and replace the top 2 floors with a new modern addition. The original south elevation, notable for its use of brick and terra cotta, will be preserved. The east and west elevations will be modified to provide additional windows to improve the interior quality of space. The interior of the building will be modernized to provide a high-quality office space opportunity.
New construction of a multi-family residential building with structured parking is proposed on the vacant land to the east of the Elks Building. The building will have residential units and upper floor balconies facing South Temple. The scale of the new building will be consistent in height with neighboring buildings. The façade facing South Temple is a combination of symmetrical and asymmetrical and will have architectural relief and steps in massing. An amenity deck is planned on the north side of the building over the parking structure. The parking structure will be lined with residential and have very little visual exposure to South Temple.
Existing homes along 1st Avenue, with the exception of one home, will remain in place and be renovated and remain as residential use. The one home proposed for demolition is designated as a contributing structure but was built midcentury and does not have the quality and character of the turn of the century homes to the east. The homes that will remain will be upgraded to improve the interior and exterior living environments. Color palettes will be updated, and landscape improvements will be made to the front and back of the homes.

Illustrative Site Plan in Site Context

View of Existing Site along South Temple

Rendering of Proposed Development and Design along South Temple

View of Existing Site on 1st Avenue

Rendering of Proposed Development and Design on 1st Avenue

Rendering of Proposed South Temple Residential Amenity Courtyard

View of Existing Site

Rendering of Proposed 1st Avenue Color Palette Enhancements

View of Existing Site

Rendering of Proposed 1st Avenue Color Palette Enhancements

Additional Renderings:

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 5:31 PM

Wow, I like that a lot. I didn't realize a new apartment building was planned as part of that, the design is awesome and seems to fit in great. I love that another downtown parking lot - especially one on a great road like South Temple - is going away.

My brother used to live in the Lotus Apartments on South Temple and I always loved visiting just so I could have a good opportunity to walk down South Temple haha. Not that there's ever a bad opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
It's been quite a while since photo updates on many of the projects like Olive, Hardison, Paperbox, old Capitol Motel, Post District etc... If it's convenient in your travels today don't forget to snap some pics for us. It's hugely appreciated.
I definitely plan on taking a photo tour soon, I've just been really really busy. But I walk past several under construction developments frequently in the western Downtown area, I just always forget to take pictures.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 11:25 PM

300 West closed right now between 500 and 600 South. Post District doing a huge concrete pour.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 1:35 AM

It looks like the tower crane for 95 state was raised again today!!

It looks like it must be close to 500 feet high now!!!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 7:15 AM
One Thing At A Time

An update on Rice Eccles Stadium another huge project that I forgot was happening. So much to keep track of. https://utahutes.com/news/2020/10/23...-vertical.aspx

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
300 West closed right now between 500 and 600 South. Post District doing a huge concrete pour.
There were three or four street and lane closures/detours last night (I was trying to get to Blue Iguana) which was irritating, but all four of them were for projects going up, so

...and YEAH that concrete pour was impressive. It looked like 5 or 6 different (uh big pipe boomy things that concrete was coming out of I assume?) all going at once.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
There were three or four street and lane closures/detours last night (I was trying to get to Blue Iguana) which was irritating, but all four of them were for projects going up, so

...and YEAH that concrete pour was impressive. It looked like 5 or 6 different (uh big pipe boomy things that concrete was coming out of I assume?) all going at once.
Were all those lane closures just for the Post District pour or for other projects also?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West