HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
How about window boxes and planters? What's the excuse?

It has nothing to do with street/sidewalk width at all (as evidenced by the dozens and dozens of narrow one lane streets in greater CC that have trees and greenery) and everything to do with interest in beautifying a block. Developers, renters, owners - in areas like this, they just clearly don't care about it. No excuses.

they dont care, these are not the critical issues residents worry about in less fortunate parts of the city.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Born and raised, attended Drexel, worked in city for many years, including an internship with PHA in which I traveled to sites around the corner from where these photos were taken (before any of this development started). Don't over analyze my post or make assumptions about where I have/have not been.
The problems I mentioned in my previous post exist in Center City too. But we can just settle the excuses.
with all that being said, I don't understand why you made the original comment. Are you surprised to see trash in a poor, largely vacant part of North Philadelphia? Doesn't seem like you are so no need to mention what everyone can see in the picture. Tons of vacant property in this city is owned by people and entities that don't live anywhere near the property and they let them get dumped on and treated like shit. Hopefully those entities will be held as accountable as the residents. No excuses.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 5:40 PM

Large Residential Project Planned For 800-808 Callowhill Street In Callowhill, North Philadelphia

Current site:

Quote:
Permits have been filed for the construction of nine adjacent multi-family structures at 800-808 Callowhill Street in Callowhill, North Philadelphia. The site is located between North 8th Street and North 9th Street in a predominantly industrial area. The project will consist of nine four-story structures with a total of 40 residential units. The development will provide 19 parking spaces for the residents including one that will be ADA accessible. Carolina Pena is the listed design professional and Three R Construction LLC is the listed contractor.
Read more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/10/larg...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 8:02 PM

Groundbreaking Held For Sharswood Ridge, A 234,000-Square-Foot Mixed-Use Development In Sharswood, North Philadelphia

Quote:
A groundbreaking was held on October 14 for Sharswood Ridge, a 234,000-square-foot mixed-use development at 2077 Ridge Avenue in Sharswood, North Philadelphia. Developed by Mosaic Development, SHIFT Capital, and the Philadelphia Housing Authority, the project aims to revive one of the city’s most distressed neighborhoods with new opportunities for housing, shopping, and employment.

The $52 million complex will consist of several buildings rising up to four stories, with over 45,000 square feet of retail and 98 mixed-income rental apartments, 46 percent of which will be reserved as below-market-rate housing.
Read more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/10/grou...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 10:52 PM
Chris

Regarding 232 Walnut, is this officially a go, no more hurdles? What is the total room count proposal?

I wonder what kind of hotel concept would be at play here. I was hoping for a St. Regis type caliber hotel brand (would be great to see another brand like that enter the Philadelphia market), but I don't know if the room count is there for a hotel like that.

Either way, the 3rd iteration is quite nice, just wish it was taller.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 10:55 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Large Residential Project Planned For 800-808 Callowhill Street In Callowhill, North Philadelphia

Current site:

Read more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/10/larg...ladelphia.html
A near blank space neighborhood and the proposal is for nine 4 story buildings?...
This area could contain highline-esque architecture. I fear the renderings for this one.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 2:32 PM

Quote:
A near blank space neighborhood and the proposal is for nine 4 story buildings?...
This area could contain highline-esque architecture. I fear the renderings for this one.
I know what you're saying but did you notice what this is replacing?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 3:55 PM

Quote:
I hear ya, but if you look at this location, this is actually a nice project, regardless of the design (which we haven't even seen yet). It's basically just off a highway off-ramp, and there is really nothing around this for several blocks in all directions.

To get high quality architecture, you need good returns on your investment. This exact location is not going to see high returns for rent, or the sales price of a townhome or condo.

Now, a little closer to the Reading Viaduct? Yes, I would like to hold those future projects to a higher standard for architecture. As this whole Loft District/Callowhill area furthers it's development and developable lots become more sparse? Then yes, we need to hold projects to a higher standard for architecture. Right now? Just build! We need to get this area out of it's funk.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 3:58 PM

Last Section of Former Ridge Farmers Market Site Moving Along

Current progress on 1810 Ridge Ave:

Rendering of 1810 Ridge Ave:

New projects and redevelopments just next door:

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...e-moving-along

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 4:03 PM

22 Home Project Coming Soon Near 18th & Oregon?

Current site:

Rendering 1:

Rendering 2:

Rendering 3:

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...ar-18th-oregon

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 4:07 PM

18-Unit Apartment Building Rising at 12-14 S. 43rd Street in West Philly

Progress:

Rendering:

Read more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/18-unit...iversity-city/

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 5:50 PM

Lydian Place Brings Mansions Back to South Broad Street

Homes facing South Broad Street:

More homes coming behind:

More homes coming just up the street:

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...g-face-s-broad

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Lydian Place Brings Mansions Back to South Broad Street

Homes facing South Broad Street:
This is incredibly tasteful archictecture, but there is no place for single-family homes along a subway corridor.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 6:34 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
This is incredibly tasteful archictecture, but there is no place for single-family homes along a subway corridor.
Agreed. Some of the best looking new row/townhomes in the city, but they don't belong on Broad Street, but due to the zoning issues, this is what garners the best ROI.

Heard any news on the Goldenberg project down the block? That is slated to be a substantial sized mixed use project.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
To get high quality architecture, you need good returns on your investment. This exact location is not going to see high returns for rent, or the sales price of a townhome or condo.
The best ROIs in Real Estate at the moment are in less than desireable neighborhoods.

Especially when compounded revisions to the tax laws which basically enable you to capture capital gains tax free in "opportunity zones".

It's no coincidence you're seeing an explosion of development on North Broad Street. It's not just because it's near Temple. It's because all of those zipcodes are federally certified opportunity zones.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 12:24 PM

Insta-apartment, that's one way to do it. 43rd and Chestnut.

20201019_111823 by , on Flickr

20201019_111845 by , on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Some of the best looking new row/townhomes in the city, but they don't belong on Broad Street, but due to the zoning issues, this is what garners the best ROI.

Heard any news on the Goldenberg project down the block? That is slated to be a substantial sized mixed use project.
I'm happy to see the vacant lots fill in even if its single family housing. There are plenty of other lots in this proximity that could eventually be towers. What's more surprising is that these are selling for $2 million. I just can't wrap my head around paying that much to have your front door on Broad and Fitzwater. It's loud, kind of ugly and doesn't have a lot of foot traffic. Yes I know the houses are absurdly nice and huge but I'd take a smaller place for a better location if it was me personally. That being said, it's a great sign for Philly.

Also someone correct me if I'm wrong but does Goldenberg ever actually develop anything? It seems like they just sit on stuff. 1213 Walnut is the only tower I can recall.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
I'm happy to see the vacant lots fill in even if its single family housing. There are plenty of other lots in this proximity that could eventually be towers. What's more surprising is that these are selling for $2 million. I just can't wrap my head around paying that much to have your front door on Broad and Fitzwater. It's loud, kind of ugly and doesn't have a lot of foot traffic. Yes I know the houses are absurdly nice and huge but I'd take a smaller place for a better location if it was me personally. That being said, it's a great sign for Philly.

Also someone correct me if I'm wrong but does Goldenberg ever actually develop anything? It seems like they just sit on stuff. 1213 Walnut is the only tower I can recall.
mostly shopping centers. Not much in the way of apt towers.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 3:17 PM

Quote:

Guess who owns the Disney hole

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 4:25 PM

Quote:
They've also built 3 towers up by Temple. View at Montgomery, and the two Vantage towers.

They built Carpenter Square as well, which is a really well done mixed-use development at 17th and Carpenter.

They're mostly a retail/shopping center developer, but do have highrise and urban experience. They have the financial backing to get it done, and have partnered with other big-time highrise developers (like Hines at 1213 Walnut). I have faith in them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development