HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #15921  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 12:15 AM
adam-machiavelli adam-machiavelli is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,246
How is adding roof access in a private condo legal and doable?
     
     
  #15922  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 12:50 AM
itom 987's Avatar
itom 987 itom 987 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,086
I'm not sure if I would be alright with a rug under the bathtub. I love the creative use of copper pipe.
     
     
  #15923  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 1:59 AM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,131
The Ten has a bunch of unique units and a killer rooftop patio with more than a few great parties.

Also, RIP PC.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #15924  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 2:31 PM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldrsx View Post
the ten has a bunch of unique units and a killer rooftop patio with more than a few great parties.

Also, rip pc.
pc?
__________________
"Call me sir, goddammit!"
     
     
  #15925  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 2:33 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,131
A former resident of the Ten and active DECL Board member. He passed away in 2016.

https://edmontonbroadcasters.com/bios/cardinal-patrick/
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #15926  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 2:24 AM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
'It's really cute': Edmonton's new European-inspired strip mall attracts admirers before it opens

Quote:
EDMONTON -- Edmonton has a popular new strip mall, but no one is going for the shopping.

Manchester Square isn't open yet, but its unique European-inspired design is already attracting a steady stream of photographers, models and selfie-takers.

"It’s really cute and quaint and Edmonton doesn't have anything like it. So it’s a fun place," aspiring model Vanessa Pearson told CTV News Edmonton in the middle of a chilly October photo shoot Wednesday.
More here:
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/it-s-really-...racts-admirers-before-it-opens-1.5145840
     
     
  #15927  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 2:16 PM
christopherj christopherj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 506
^ I do wish they could have had some kind of actual "square" (even if small) where a few restaurants/cafes could have had outdoor patios, but overall I really do like it.
     
     
  #15928  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 2:47 PM
s211 s211 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
'It's really cute': Edmonton's new European-inspired strip mall attracts admirers before it opens
I drove past it a short while ago: no, it's not cute, unless that's how you spell "joke" now.
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
     
     
  #15929  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:40 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,131
The quality of design/material is quite good and it looks fine, but it totally out of place and locationally an odd choice.

It is the outside European BLVD.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #15930  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 4:09 PM
GenWhy? GenWhy? is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4,854
I like how in one sentence they say it's not "fake" but in the next they say it's only a backdrop for photos that could represent a setting in another city...
     
     
  #15931  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 4:16 PM
GenWhy? GenWhy? is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4,854
Are there any trees proposed on the site? Did they revise it at all? Last I saw was that a tree or 2 might be at one of the corner of 120 and 107th.
     
     
  #15932  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 5:56 PM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
The quality of design/material is quite good and it looks fine, but it totally out of place and locationally an odd choice.

It is the outside European BLVD.

Count me in as a fan of this project. A nice stroll down 124 st then check this area out.
     
     
  #15933  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 7:24 PM
s4.audios's Avatar
s4.audios s4.audios is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,320
I think Manchester Square is perfectly fine where it is. That lot is visually (when approaching the area) tucked away in my perspective and so the whole idea of another ugly parking lot doesn't really bother me. While at the same time will bring more life to the area, as it already has. The success of this property will also probably speed up other developments in the area, such as the brewery district rental condo and the mid rise tower proposed on 123rd street and 106 ave.

I definitely would have preferred the developer built up to 107 Ave instead of the parking lot, but this developer has always refurbished buildings not build something entirely new so I think they did a great job with what they had. I hate saying "good enough for Edmonton" but really it's an overall positive for the community.
     
     
  #15934  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 8:02 PM
Glenco Glenco is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
The quality of design/material is quite good and it looks fine, but it totally out of place and locationally an odd choice.

It is the outside European BLVD.
What is wrong with the location? It is not downtown and not way out in the burbs. This area has massive potential and will only add to the momentum.
     
     
  #15935  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 9:54 PM
GreenSPACE's Avatar
GreenSPACE GreenSPACE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,865
Loblaws update. Tower B podium being hoarded.


https://twitter.com/chrisbuyze/status/1317221853945946112/photo/1
__________________
"A great city is not to be confounded with a populous one." - Aristotle
     
     
  #15936  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 2:25 PM
urbanroo urbanroo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
'It's really cute': Edmonton's new European-inspired strip mall attracts admirers before it opens



More here:
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/it-s-really-...racts-admirers-before-it-opens-1.5145840
I think it's tacky, but as a resident of the area, I actually don't despise it as much as I thought I would; I love how it's become a hub for people to come hang out. That said, is any of it actually leased (apart from the Arcadia site)? I worry it will either become a huge white elephant with empty storefronts for years, or, will be a success and draw businesses away from 124 street, ruining the momentum and developing high street feel of one of Edmonton's best business and restaurant corridors.
     
     
  #15937  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 3:28 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
What is wrong with the location? It is not downtown and not way out in the burbs. This area has massive potential and will only add to the momentum.
In that it is sorta no mans land there. Not particularly walkable, somewhat of a pass-by for drivers and a bit of an island.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #15938  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 5:20 PM
Jaws Jaws is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanroo View Post
I think it's tacky, but as a resident of the area, I actually don't despise it as much as I thought I would; I love how it's become a hub for people to come hang out. That said, is any of it actually leased (apart from the Arcadia site)? I worry it will either become a huge white elephant with empty storefronts for years, or, will be a success and draw businesses away from 124 street, ruining the momentum and developing high street feel of one of Edmonton's best business and restaurant corridors.
Agreed. Manchester Square is very kitschy, but it is way better than a furniture clearance centre in a cinder block cube. Hopefully some quality merchants lease the space.
     
     
  #15939  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 11:31 PM
GreenSPACE's Avatar
GreenSPACE GreenSPACE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,865
As far as I know only Arcadia Brewing is the only leased space at this time.
__________________
"A great city is not to be confounded with a populous one." - Aristotle
     
     
  #15940  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 1:55 PM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
Demolition is now taking place on Jasper Ave west of 123 St
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.