HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
The sounds of a light rail train don't compare to those from a mainline freight train that runs 24 hours per day. Not only are they loud and come frequently in the dead of night, but if your house/apartment is close enough and the train is moving fast enough, they shake your house. I know from experience.
I lived in the Marmalade Square Condos for a time, which is about 2.5 blocks from the tracks, so 1/3-ish of a mile, according to googlemaps. The trains were loud enough to wake me up when I first moved there, but after a while I got used to them and they didn't wake me up anymore. I think if I were much closer it would have been harder. Within a block would have been rough.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I live directly on the Jordan River Trail now (I'm not homeless, I live in a complex directly on it), so I'm on the trail several times per week. They've made a lot of improvements to it in the decade or so that I used to be on it often with my offspring. Improved signage, paving, etc. Now they just need to improve the water itself, and then continue their upgrades.

I went by the Three Creeks Confluence Park a few weeks ago, and it's still very much in the construction phase, but it's looking like it will be impressive. I'm assuming it will be finished and landscaped in the spring. About 1300 S and 900 W, but with construction, kind of hard to get to. I parked at Bend in the River Park and then walked south on the trail to get to Confluence.

Bend in the River is weird AF by the way. https://www.slc.gov/parks/parks-divi...-in-the-river/ Collaboration partially designed by kids, university students, and planners. I think I would have loved it when I was 8.
Glad to hear you're not homeless. The thought of a friendly frog on the street makes me sad... but I suppose with Jedi skills you could take care of yourself!

Urban water quality is hard to improve, but there are ways. Tucson has been working on it, but their focus is restoring perennial water flow in their creeks and rivers. The cool part though, is that it's basically the same prescription, which is sink water into the soil instead of shunting it straight into the waterways. Lot's of folks involved, but here's a link to a couple groups.
https://watershedmg.org/river-run-ne...no-streamsheds
https://www.harvestingrainwater.com/
I've talked with some people about doing similar things here, but that was a few years ago and there wasn't much enthusiasm at the time; there may be more now. Plus, I'm a nobody. One legit issue we have here is that we salt our roads in the winter, which could lead to salt buildup in the soil. I don't think it's insurmountable to work with that situation, but it does make it more difficult. But if we want a clean Jordan River, we have to address road runoff, at it isn't point source, so we can't really expect point treatment; the solution needs to be diffuse.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
I lived in the Marmalade Square Condos for a time, which is about 2.5 blocks from the tracks, so 1/3-ish of a mile, according to googlemaps. The trains were loud enough to wake me up when I first moved there, but after a while I got used to them and they didn't wake me up anymore. I think if I were much closer it would have been harder. Within a block would have been rough.
I used to live up on 1100 east about 200 south and I remember hearing the loud train horn sounds blowing off in the middle of the night. If I could hear it all the way up there, then I can just imagine how much louder they would be in Marmalade.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 12:00 AM
Space Magi

So I sent in a snarky message criticizing the Central Station West development a few weeks ago and received a response from the city yesterday. They have been working with the developer and have revised the design to have some engagement with the corner. It looks like an improvement to me (yay!) but it does still have a big wall along the street.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 12:28 AM

Is this the project directly adjacent to the CINQ project on 200 south.

Last edited by Orlando; Oct 9, 2020 at 1:56 AM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 12:31 AM
Space Magi

No, this is across 200 S from those. It's replacing In the Venue.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
So I sent in a snarky message criticizing the Central Station West development a few weeks ago and received a response from the city yesterday. They have been working with the developer and have revised the design to have some engagement with the corner. It looks like an improvement to me (yay!) but it does still have a big wall along the street.

Yeah, I got the same message. I'm glad we're getting legitimate street engagement. I still think we could do so much better with this corner though. West Downtown is in danger of just becoming just that neighborhood with all the apartments, when it could and should be something special.

Quote:
Thank you for your previous comments on this project. Here is an update for you on the Central Station West Apartments project at 200 S/600 W. Attached is the latest rendering of the project.

Since the initial application was submitted we have continued to work with the applicant to revise the proposed design and address many aspects of how it interfaces the public realm and to make overall improvements to the proposed design. The design focuses more on the corner and commercial space has been added that front on 200 S and 600 W at the corner. The fitness center has been moved south of the commercial space on the 600 W side.

This item is tentatively scheduled for a Planning Commission Public Hearing on 10/28/2020. You will receive a mailed notice of that meeting and you are welcome to participate online. I will include your initial comments in my staff report. If you have any questions or additional comments, please let me know.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
The best part of those massings, besides the 500+ ft tower, is all of that density on 200 S. I really hope the Greek Cathedral development and Block 67 Phase II comes through.

Apparently, the Greek development is pretty much a given. I was surprised to learn how many heavyweights are raising funds to make it happen. For example, The Huntsmans, and even the L.D.S. Church, in addition to numerous others, are major contributing factors.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 11:11 AM

Interesting. Do you know who the architecture firm is that is designing it?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 2:00 PM

No I don't Orlando, but I hope the renderings that we saw earlier were just a preliminary.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 3:03 AM

It looks like more changes will be coming along North Temple in the somewhat near future.

A new project area was recently announced. 1407 W North Temple, also known as the Rocky Mountain Service Center.

100 Acres in total but will be done in 2 phases. The Gadsby power plant will be shutting down in the next few years and Phase 2 will be the existing power plant area.

Investment Highlights

100+ Acre Redevelopment Site is Accepting Request for Qualification & Redevelopment Concept.

Brand new Rocky Mountain Power Headquarters anticipated to anchor the site

Excellent site location within 5 minutes of downtown, an international airport, Utah's largest transit hub and miles of outdoor trails and recreation

---
Additional info from the RFQ Document: https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/hwCam...4/document.pdf

Quote:
Phase One: Expression of InterestA brief letter of interest to formally participate in the Request for Qualifications process should be submitted into the procurement system. Once complete, the applicant will receive a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) for signature. Upon receipt of the signed NDA, applicants will be formally admitted into the process and will receive access to any further instructions and FAQ’s that may be available at the time. [Phase 1 Deadline October 30, 2020 at 5PM MST]

Phase Two: Request for QualificationsThis initial phase is primarily focused on the qualifications and proven record of the development team to execute a successful project that aligns with the goals and visions of the RMP team. Submissions will be evaluated according to the Threshold and Response Criteria presented earlier in this document. All questions related to the RFQ must be submitted via the JAGGAER system by November 10, 2020 at 5PM MST. [Phase 2 Deadline November 15, 2020 at 5PM MST]

Phase Three: Request for Proposals The top-qualified development teams will be formally invited to provide a complete proposal. This proposal may include a general development plan, phasing and traffic flow visualization, 3D modeling of initial phases, detailed community engagement plan, pro forma and economic analysis, construction management plan, program management plan, environmental compliance and stewardship approach. There will be a particular focus on the design and development of the RMP Headquarters as the anchor tenant for the site and part of its initial phase. The proposals will be evaluated to determine which applicants will be selected for Phase Four. [Phase 3 Deadline January 29, 2021 at 5PM MST]

Phase Four: Team Interviews Qualifying proposals will participate in a forward auction via the JAGGAER system to determine the final price for the project. Finalists from the auction will be selected for an in depth interview. Mandatory attendance by the following team members: Project Manager, Proposed Lead Architect, Lead Environmental Consultant or Senior Staff Member, Lead Finance/Economic Consultant or Senior Staff Member. All attendees must have speaking parts in the interview. The finalists are to provide all materials one week prior to the interview. The Evaluation Committee will select the most qualified team based on the presentation, scoring and overall alignment with the RMP vision. There may be a development team selected as a backup in case the awarded team fails to complete Phase Five. [Phase 4 Deadline Week of Feb. 1, 2021]

Phase Five: Negotiation and Execution of Agreement with Development TeamRMP is particularly interested in a timely launch and development of initial phases of the site. As such upon selection RMP will enter into negotiations that should not exceed 3 months to finalize. Upon execution, the development team should expect to begin steps within 30 days to move the project forward. [Phase 5 May 8, 2021]
There are also emails/documents from SLC Mayor Mendenhall and the Head of Economic Development Corp of Utah (EDCU) both offering support and assistance.

The Mayor also mentioned:
Quote:
Salt Lake City is prepared to both create a path for such development and be a partner in making it successful. We look forward to assisting with zoning changes that may be needed, additional planning, area designations, and providing financial support and tools as the project may require and as benefits the residents of our unique City.
Theresa Foxley from the EDCU Stated:
Quote:
EDCUtah and its partners believe that this project will serve as an important catalyst for additional economic development opportunities in this area. As such, state leaders are committed to assisting this proposed project as a key growth opportunity for the Salt Lake City metropolitan area. EDCUtah is committed to assisting this project move forward and conveys its strong support of the project’s proposed objectives.
It does seem that this will be very big for the area and the City overall.

Last edited by Makid; Oct 10, 2020 at 3:45 AM. Reason: Added additional information.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 4:29 AM

Huge. Start buying property in the area if you can.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 12:42 PM

^^^
Amazing! Given another ten years, North Temple will be almost unrecognizable from what it was ten years ago. It seems as if Salt Lake's construction boom has taken on an even more heightened urgency. Makid, or those of you in the know. Have you noticed if there have been construction crews coming in from other Metro areas to fill the labor gap needed in the Salt Lake Metro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Is this the project directly adjacent to the CINQ project on 200 south.
Quote:
No, this is across 200 S from those. It's replacing In the Venue.
So, Central West will be on the southeast corner...

...and The Greenprint will be across the street on the northeast corner...

...and The Cinq will be directly east of The Greenprint. That's a lot of construction coming up for that stretch.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 10, 2020 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
No I don't Orlando, but I hope the renderings that we saw earlier were just a preliminary.
I looked up some other articles, and it is Nelsen Partners out of Phoenix. Seems like most of these projects are designed by firms out of town.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 4:19 PM

Thanks for posting that info Makid. It's great to see all this development flourishing in these under-utilized industrial areas.

Through that link, I also found more interesting news:

Another large site in the Granary is under contract, which means more potential redevelopment:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/750-...y-UT/19260778/

And, this iconic granary storage building on 5th south is for sale. Though, I would want to see some of that kept as a landmark. The site is only that parcel. So, I'm not sure if it's feasible to do some unique condos in it or if there's a developer that would be able to pull that off.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/425-...y-UT/16443732/

Last edited by Orlando; Oct 11, 2020 at 5:49 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 10:56 PM

Some glass cladding has been installed on 95 State! I still don’t know how to attach photos so I didn’t t snap one this time.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 11:06 PM
Space Magi

From the subreddit:

Source: u/helltoosell

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 3:22 AM

Thanks for the great catch Makid! I have imagined for years when Gadsby will finally give up the ghost and that area be redeveloped. I had resigned myself to the reality that it would probably not happen for 15-30 years so this news is super exciting. I do find it funny that their conceptual drawings have people just hanging out in a dense urban area with a power plant just a stones throw away. Normally I would say that is a non starter, but considering that housing is in desperate supply and the plant is scheduled to decommission in 2032, it is more plausible. I would actually expect that timeline will be accelerated considering the cost curve reduction for renewables and battery storage. If Biden wins new EPA regulations will also probably expedite its demise. I created this little diddy, a while back, to show what I have imagined over the years this space could look like. Now that we know what RMP wants to do with their Southwestern parcels, this is outdated, but it could be adapted to the new reality.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Nice work! Thanks for putting in the effort.

The only major project that I can think of that is missing from your map is the 12-story UTA Headquarters/Central Station redevelopment:

Although I'm not sure if that's still their plan (I'm holding out hope for Hatman's Rio Grande plan instead!) and it may have been stalled out by the pandemic.
Atlas, have you seen Hatman's proposal for Salt Lake Intermodal Hub?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 11:37 PM

Glass is going in Liberty Sky as well.

https://imgur.com/zQKAJeM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West