HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
^^^
Haven’t seen that in a while, is it for sure happening? Just wanna clarify.

Edit: just saw the last post.
That was just a concept vision/ that we developed with some local developers to help them sell their vision to the city. This was prior to the RFP that was intended to be issued in 2015, but then Biskupski got elected and the RFQ was issued a couple years later from which a proposed plan was prepared but met with disappointment. I have heard also that a well-know national design firm has been hired by a private firm to do another masterplan/ concept/ vision study of the area. I can't tell you who specifically.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 3:36 PM

Crane count website

Obviously, this is not entirely accurate as it does not have a crane count for Salt Lake City or other cities like Atlanta or Dallas, but still interesting:

https://www.djc.com/news/co/12135476.html

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 10:03 AM

The Yard -170 Unit Townhome Development by CW Urban

CW Urban has proposed 'The Yard' a 170 townhome unit development proposed for 200 South and Navajo Street (aprox. 1350 West). This will replace a series of warehouses and industrial structures on the site.

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...owInspection=#

18 Additional Renderings (I think it looks really cool):

Full Project Description:
Quote:
The Yard is a 170 unit for-rent townhome development proposed to replace the dilapidated industrial complex that was the former home of Mark Steel. Located along the Jordan River Trail and just west of the Fischer Mansion, this site will be developed into an asset for the community. The development will boast an incredible amount of public open space and outdoor amenity areas as well as community gardens, showers for cyclists, a gym, leasing offices, and an exterior pool and spa.

The central organizing element of the development will be an open-to-the public midblock walkway connecting the public street of Navajo to a green belt along the Jordan River. The midblock walkway, at nearly 50' wide, will be developed into a linear park and will incorporate fire pits, eating areas, hammock posts, movable seating, bocce ball courts, outdoor table tennis, and public gathering spaces. CW is working with adjacent landowners to relandscape the riverfront and build a trail seamlessly linking all adjacent properties to the Jordan River Trail. The public amenities celebrate the industrial heritage of the area, turning the surrounding gritty context into an asset and creating a unique sense of place.

In keeping with the TSA guidelines, the architecture has been designed to be modern, durable, and pedestrian-focused. Every townhome features a 2nd level exterior deck off the main living space facing public greenways and streets, activating the site, and creating an inviting feel. Corner units have been specially designed to address both adjacent streets with wrapping balconies and side entrances, and durable materials wrap around 3 sides of every townhome building. Garages are all hidden from view in rear alleys, creating a pedestrian-oriented streetscape with parallel parking, sidewalks, street trees, and front doors & porches facing the streets.

At nearly 19 units per acre, this development provides missing middle housing and brings increased density to a developing area of the west side of Salt Lake, yet keeps a friendly, pedestrian-scaled environment with no buildings taller than 3 stories. In an area of Salt Lake that has felt abandoned and overrun with homeless camps, increasing the number of eyes on the streets and activating the river's edge will help make the Jordan River Trail a safer and more accessible environment for all. We are hoping our project will be a catalyst to encourage future developments to tie in and continue healthy, smart growth throughout the developing neighborhoods on the West Side.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Oct 6, 2020 at 12:06 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 6:42 PM
SLC Lifer

That's the Mark Steel property. Huge news for Euclid/North Temple if it holds.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 7:00 PM

I really love CW Urban and the work they do. If they continue along this path they will leave behind an awesome legacy of projects. They are also raising their sights so I would expect them to continue missing middle but graduate to bigger and more profitable projects as time goes on.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 7:29 PM

It's very encouraging to see developers redevelop these neglected and older sites. These all add to a better connected urban environment.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 8:04 PM

deleted. accidental double post.

Last edited by Orlando; Oct 6, 2020 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Also, I don’t think 500ft would be good enough. I’m thinking 550’ would be needed to stand out given the elevation sloping lower the farther south you go.

Orlando... got time for some visuals

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 8:10 PM

Very nice! I like the design too. Is that 500ft? Or 550ft?

Nice work Orlando

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 10:00 PM

I was skeptical about that CW Urban development at first, but I'm liking the way it looks, and love how it incorporates the public trail and the Jordan River Parkway. It's definitely above and beyond what similar projects have been doing recently.

It's just too bad the freeway and railroad tracks really limit access to this area - only 2 ways in and out.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 11:34 PM
Space Magi

The best part of those massings, besides the 500+ ft tower, is all of that density on 200 S. I really hope the Greek Cathedral development and Block 67 Phase II come through.

Also, great shot of 95 State on the subreddit today:

Source: u/chaunceton

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 12:04 AM

While this development looks really nice, I wouldn't want to live a block from a major polluting power plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
CW Urban has proposed 'The Yard' a 170 townhome unit development proposed for 200 South and Navajo Street (aprox. 1350 West). This will replace a series of warehouses and industrial structures on the site.

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...owInspection=#

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 4:09 AM

The CW Urban development near the Jordan River jives with what I would like to see done in that area:

Explanation:
The pink and yellow lines are new and relocated railroad tracks (pink being new commuter tracks and yellow being relocated UP tracks).
By consolidating the tracks in one corridor, instead of two that split around the old factory, there will be enough space beneath the big pedestrian bridge for 100 South to be extended below the pedestrian bridge and then across the Jordan River(the dark gray shape). Then it would connect into Navajo Street. This road will be for local traffic only, and it will have generous sidewalks and pedestrian space. It will effectively create another pedestrian crossing of the Jordan River.
The the green shape is a proposed park, and the blue line is City Creek. I want to see it daylighted all the way back to 600 West (only possible with the Rio Grande plan relocation of railroad tracks). I checked the flow rates of City Creek, and it looks like in the spring time (May-early July) there is enough flow to create a channel about 10-15 feet wide and 1-2 feet deep. This means people could get in tubes and raft down the river from 600 West to the Jordan River, or about 1 mile exactly. In the rest of the year, there would be enough water for wading or fishing or whatever else.
I have been super jealous of Boise and their greenbelt for a long time, and I'm intrigued by the idea we could create one of our own to branch off from the Jordan River, and reach as far downtown as basically the Gateway.
See the full google map in the Rio Grande link in my signature line.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 2:35 PM

I also wouldn't want to live smashed between heavy industrial and railroad tracks on one side and a freeway on the other, but I guess some people are okay with it. I do like the attempts at revitalizing the area, but turning industrial use into residential does have it's issues, especially when done piecemeal.

I definitely like the idea of daylighting our buried creeks though. City Creek is pretty meager for floating, but floating in Spring is better than no floating at all I suppose. You can already float the Jordan river, if you're okay with disgusting water, trash, homeless encampments, and the occasional dead body floating beside you

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
I definitely like the idea of daylighting our buried creeks though. City Creek is pretty meager for floating, but floating in Spring is better than no floating at all I suppose. You can already float the Jordan river, if you're okay with disgusting water, trash, homeless encampments, and the occasional dead body floating beside you
A few months ago City Weekly had a great article on the current status and future goals for the Jordan River: https://www.cityweekly.net/utah/rive...t?oid=15533986

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 4:36 PM

I've been doing some digging for other things history-related and just came across these:

Main Street in the 1960s (2 minutes) https://youtu.be/eKC03VHl29c

Salt Lake City 1978 (5 minutes, first 2 are Temple Square, last 2 are Bingham Copper Mine, that middle minute is pretty good) https://youtu.be/C9IPuKFpREQ

There are longer ones on there too, but these are short enough and give a good glimpse of SLC Back In The Day.

I also stumbled across news coverage of that family who got thrown/jumped/murdered/suicided at the Shilo Inn (at the time the Sahara Dunes) hotel in 1978. Didn't watch them, but...they're there.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 6:16 PM

That was a really good article; optimistic but also realistic. Thanks for posting it, Jedikermit. I appreciate all the improvements, especially dropping storm water into wetlands before it enters the river, which will help the water quality quite a bit. Long way to go on that front, of course. I actually have swam in the Jordan River before. Back when I was a teen (late 90s) there was a bridge over the river in Lehi. I think it was an old railroad bridge, the kind that had steel beams as a frame that was higher than the road. We'd climb to the top and jump off into the river. It was probably 20-25 feet high, and the river wasn't terribly deep. I never hit bottom but some of my friends did. No one got hurt though, at least when I was there. A shower afterward was a necessity. Fun times.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 6:17 PM

Quote:
I also wouldn't want to live smashed between heavy industrial and railroad tracks on one side and a freeway on the other, but I guess some people are okay with it. I do like the attempts at revitalizing the area, but turning industrial use into residential does have it's issues, especially when done piecemeal.

If they revitalize they area enough it should be fine. I live between the S-line and I-80 and you get used to the sounds.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger4 View Post
If they revitalize they area enough it should be fine. I live between the S-line and I-80 and you get used to the sounds.
The sounds of a light rail train don't compare to those from a mainline freight train that runs 24 hours per day. Not only are they loud and come frequently in the dead of night, but if your house/apartment is close enough and the train is moving fast enough, they shake your house. I know from experience.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:
That was a really good article; optimistic but also realistic. Thanks for posting it, Jedikermit. I appreciate all the improvements, especially dropping storm water into wetlands before it enters the river, which will help the water quality quite a bit.
I live directly on the Jordan River Trail now (I'm not homeless, I live in a complex directly on it), so I'm on the trail several times per week. They've made a lot of improvements to it in the decade or so that I used to be on it often with my offspring. Improved signage, paving, etc. Now they just need to improve the water itself, and then continue their upgrades.

I went by the Three Creeks Confluence Park a few weeks ago, and it's still very much in the construction phase, but it's looking like it will be impressive. I'm assuming it will be finished and landscaped in the spring. About 1300 S and 900 W, but with construction, kind of hard to get to. I parked at Bend in the River Park and then walked south on the trail to get to Confluence.

Bend in the River is weird AF by the way. https://www.slc.gov/parks/parks-divi...-in-the-river/ Collaboration partially designed by kids, university students, and planners. I think I would have loved it when I was 8.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West