HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #14881  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:57 AM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #14882  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 6:01 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
can the river be walked across there?
__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #14883  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 9:26 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
I would say definitely not. Prairie rivers may not be wild by eastern or pacific coast standards, but the North Sask is pretty intense for its whole course.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #14884  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 9:32 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I’m sorry is this Grindr or Skyscraperpage?
It's actually Grindscraperpage, became that when Lio and the others decided that the whole barfing nonsense into each others mouths fetish was all the rage, I just added a lil bit of skin to the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
There you go with the 'c' word again. It doesn't help your case to try and bring these conversations to some form of decorum. Why head down to the basement when you can remain on the ground floor and use more appropriate language.
I'm not afraid of the word "🞵🞵🞵🞵", I played rugby for my last bit of high school, on and off between HS and Uni (6 years) and for my first year of university with the Dinos. The word "🞵🞵🞵🞵" is well, just a word... which most of the world isn't terrified of, other than the US and to a lesser extent Canada, and I use it like a friggin Aussie in my daily vernacular. I'm surprised this is the first time it's come up. Probably because this is a Canadian forum and I usually know better (though the use of the word in the context you're referring to is more than justified).

Edit: I guess I should explain why the rugby part is relevant... because half of every team I've ever been on is British or Aussie, so the "c word" as you say () is like every third or fourth word used in regular conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Any particular reason why you have a treasure trove of photos of yourself shirtless with Calgary buildings in the background. Is this some reddit thread topic I'm not aware of?
Ummm I guess the only real answer is that I explore cities, I run a lot (and sweat way more than the average bear), and I'm 29 and gay with an instagram of thousands of 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 older gay dudes following it. So, the shirtless thing is just like second nature after all these years. There's literally dozens more, so thankfully the bilge has stopped, or I'd have to post another on this page, per my previous promise


Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I kindly ask you to please refrain from any shirtless photos, or any pin up style poses of you laying down in the grass where your otherwise beautiful pictures of the Calgary skyline are obviously secondary to your intended photos. There are other sites for that.
No promises honey, if Lipo starts another endless shitstorm of unwarranted vitriolic nonsense, these phat tiddies might have to make a reappearance



Also, that Edmonton+Fighter jets photo is amazinggg! Wowzers.






Jesse Legault on Facebook




Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
All I know is that if I ever hear someone say wooden shack in real life I may laugh/cry uncontrollably and make them very uncomfortable.
I am admittedly shitfaced right now, but this made me laugh my damn 🞵🞵🞵 off Sooo good.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Sep 27, 2020 at 10:06 AM.
     
     
  #14885  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 10:48 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I would say definitely not. Prairie rivers may not be wild by eastern or pacific coast standards, but the North Sask is pretty intense for its whole course.
the part to the sand bar
__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #14886  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 11:15 AM
Proof Sheet Proof Sheet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post


I'm not afraid of the word "🞵🞵🞵🞵", I played rugby for my last bit of high school, on and off between HS and Uni (6 years) and for my first year of university with the Dinos. The word "🞵🞵🞵🞵" is well, just a word... which most of the world isn't terrified of, other than the US and to a lesser extent Canada, and I use it like a friggin Aussie in my daily vernacular. I'm surprised this is the first time it's come up. Probably because this is a Canadian forum and I usually know better (though the use of the word in the context you're referring to is more than justified).

Edit: I guess I should explain why the rugby part is relevant... because half of every team I've ever been on is British or Aussie, so the "c word" as you say () is like every third or fourth word used in regular conversation.



Ummm I guess the only real answer is that I explore cities, I run a lot (and sweat way more than the average bear), and I'm 29 and gay with an instagram of thousands of 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 older gay dudes following it. So, the shirtless thing is just like second nature after all these years. There's literally dozens more, so thankfully the bilge has stopped, or I'd have to post another on this page, per my previous promise

The 'c' word is a word I really don't like. My roots are in the UK (born there lived there off and on until age 12 and then again in my 20's) so I've heard the word too much. A word that is said more than it is written down on official documents if you get my drift. As I said before, is it any surprise that this forum is so heavily male dominated.

So because your rugby buds throw the 'c' word out there a lot, it's ok for this forum.?

I play soccer year round and some of my team mates say 'f*ck' and 'sh*t' every third word and they use it instead of words like 'um' and 'like' and then they wonder why their kids swear.

It would be nice if this forum had some more decorum and I think there is blame on all sides...from you and those who you feel have been ganging up on you...however, you do throw your toys out of the pram at the slightest provocation.

In my mind, posting your selfies endlessly doesn't help.

It would be nice if this thread could get back to pictures of city skylines without all of the drama and name calling. If I wanted that I would have a Facebook account. Linkedin is veering in that way and I'd hate to have this forum go that way.

Enjoy your day and hopefully things can calm down and we can use the Oxford english dictionary and not the Trainspotting dictionary.
     
     
  #14887  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 11:33 AM
Maldive's Avatar
Maldive Maldive is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
(I will end my efforts here.)

Becoming an adult: when you control your own actions and can justify them with reasoning and appropriate content. It is childish to base one's own actions on those of another. If someone's acting childish towards you, you do not need to reply in the same manner, if you need to reply at all.

We all have inner childs, so we don't always act in an adult fashion. We can slip, lose our temper, etc. BUT, if we do, adults then regain their self control and reign in their childish missteps. A long drawn-out childish fight is the problem here.

Also, posting relevant content (written or photographic) mixed with childish aggression does not elevate your contributions, rather it's just a different version of the same.
You remind me of those ‘grown-ups’ who like to say “don’t be so immature” a couple of times a day, even to people your own age. It’s not a compliment. Your repeated use of the word "childish" as a pejorative term insults children and adults alike. Go out and play more.

Picasso’s famous quote “It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child” has been discussed, dissected, (dismissed) and celebrated for too many years to count. I'm happy to report that I’ve been blessed to know a handful of the most interesting, successful, balanced and highly evolved people on the third rock, and each of them has not “left childish things behind”. Sure they have “learned” to behave in a culturally- appropriate manner (sometimes) but the ‘think different’ gas in their tank is the ability to still explore the world between reality and fantasy (without benefit of altered-states substances). In plain language… they embrace, nuture and literally cling to their “inner child”, which you seem to dismiss as a simple behavioural issue. I also know some grown-ups (there's one in the White House btw)... I feel sorry for them.

I made a short film about Jackson Pollock (well before Hollywood did ;-), who is of course now-revered but was subjected to “a chimpanzee could do it” critiques through-out his career. One of the most interesting things about his life is that he studied under beloved American representational/naturalism painter Thomas Hart Benton (Jackson ultimately became his most famous student). So a bit like Picasso, Pollock could really paint “how things are”, and paint them well… splatter matters came much later.

Ironically Benton (the adult) announced himself an enemy of all modernism, while Jackson (the child) said Benton’s classes gave him something to rebel against. Go sit and take a time-out in the corner Jackson.

Without citing extraordinary child + adult contributions to literature/language, music and even science, I’ll stick with art. I love the Surrealists. They kinda mastered the exploration of that (often forgotten) space between fantasy and reality, much like children do… check them out if you haven’t yet. Great brain food.

Question: How many Surrealists does it take to change a light bulb?


Answer: A fish.

__________________
circa 2008: home of the 3rd best skyline in N.A. +++ circa 2028: home of the 2nd best skyline in N.A. (T-Dot)

Last edited by Maldive; Sep 27, 2020 at 12:39 PM.
     
     
  #14888  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 12:43 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
     
     
  #14889  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:06 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Been arguing with Lio for years and not once have I gotten a shirtless photo out of it. Man I really don't know how to pick my fights.
That's because our discussions don't turn into crazy drama. If it makes you feel better, know that you would be by far my top choice of hairy-gay-bear-local-tour-guide, that I'd be more likely to do a tourist stop in Thunder Bay (older bones, grittier, more interesting) over Calgary (though last time both of them lost to Irresistible Tourist Destination Maple Creek, but there will likely be other commuting to/from Van in the future), and that if you really insist I won't mind taking my shirt off in person.

Plus, there's even another factor that (professionally this time) would tend to draw me to Thunder Bay over other Canadian destinations, you pointed out how remote Toronto slumlords are getting ungodly high rents from Wooden Shacks™ in that city, and based on your numbers I wouldn't be surprised if this particular form of TBay investment (cheap modest SFHs as revenue property) had some of the very highest cap rates in all of Anglo-Canada these days Worth checking out if only just out of professional curiosity.

     
     
  #14890  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:08 PM
Masoliantekw's Avatar
Masoliantekw Masoliantekw is offline
le Gibraltar d'Amérique
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Québec, QC
Posts: 127
Quebec city


@nicolas_martel_photography, sur Instagram


@lecabri, sur Instagram


@philippegosselin, sur Instagram


@dguerregbrieli, sur Instagram


@philippegosselin, sur Instagram
     
     
  #14891  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:12 PM
Sonog Sonog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 318

@jefrosonic
     
     
  #14892  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:15 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
... starts another endless shitstorm of unwarranted vitriolic nonsense,
The only reason there was a shitstorm in the first place was you. It is perfectly possible to discuss Calgary's massive Overgrown Boomtown CBD and how it's out of scale with some stuff that's immediately outside it with other Westerners (esquire, Doug, etc.) and even the (heavier) discussion with originally-from-Calgary Pavlov was totally civil.

(Pavlov is a lawyer and I'm a guy used to fine print. We often disagree on minor stuff that turns into debating minutiae. I don't think either of us hates it, no one is forcing us to do it, and it's always civil.)

Pro tip: next time you see some other user here posting something you think is "nonsense", pause and consider whether you can address it without a shitstorm. Or else, put that user on your ignore list and move on. These are the two paths.
     
     
  #14893  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:19 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masoliantekw View Post

@philippegosselin, sur Instagram
That commie block reminds me a bit of the infamous Toronto brown one stylistically, plus it appears to be topped by a Pizza Hut restaurant! (Extra points there.)
     
     
  #14894  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:31 PM
PortaPetee PortaPetee is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 117
OH MY GOD YOU TWO!!!
*goes back into hiding*
     
     
  #14895  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:40 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
This thread makes me want to not return to SSP.

Take this elsewhere.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #14896  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:41 PM
Masoliantekw's Avatar
Masoliantekw Masoliantekw is offline
le Gibraltar d'Amérique
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Québec, QC
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
That commie block reminds me a bit of the infamous Toronto brown one stylistically, plus it appears to be topped by a Pizza Hut restaurant! (Extra points there.)
I always thought it deserved the title for Québec's ugliest skyscraper. And Québec is not a city not known for its unbelievable collection of great towers
     
     
  #14897  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:47 PM
Ramako's Avatar
Ramako Ramako is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,415
Alright, enough is enough. This thread is for posting photos of, and discussing, skylines. Going forward, any posts of an off-topic nature or related to personal grievances are getting shitcanned. And as a side note, it's shocking and disappointing how infantile full grown adults can behave when behind a screen and not speaking to someone face to face.

Mod powers charging up:

     
     
  #14898  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:00 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075

Photography by JF Savaria on Facebook
     
     
  #14899  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:02 PM
itom 987's Avatar
itom 987 itom 987 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,086
     
     
  #14900  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:52 PM
isaidso isaidso is offline
North of Gilead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North of Gilead
Posts: 11,073
Wonderful Edmonton shot but as Edmonton grows I hope they have the sense to re-configure that mess of highway and exit ramps on this side of the river. That's going to be prime riverfront land in the coming decades. The longer they take to 'urbanise' it the more complicated and expensive it will end up being. That could be a 'False Creek' type neighbourhood eventually.
__________________
ELBOWS UP CANADA, ELBOWS UP UKRAINE, ELBOWS UP GREENLAND
CANADA, EUROPE, NZ, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, MEXICO STRONG

US REPUBLICANS/MAGA/ICE NOT WELCOME HERE, STAY OUT
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:09 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.