HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1241  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 10:13 PM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is offline
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,688
The westbound lanes just opened.

But wow... what a hazzard! First a couple of OPP SUVs sped through, creating a cloud of dust at the approach to the new secton. Then a transport followed closely by a small truck went though. Can you spot the small truck? Perhaps in their haste they forgot to do the final sweeping?

They're still loading some equipment onto trailers on the eastbound side.



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1242  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 10:26 PM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is offline
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,688
There goes the last of the equipment, the police flew through, and now the eastbound lanes are open as well.

Good job everybody!



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1243  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 11:13 PM
DarthVader_1961 DarthVader_1961 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 478
How long until the underneath is done?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1244  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 11:57 PM
Catenary Catenary is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader_1961 View Post
How long until the underneath is done?
There's a fair bit left to do, including finishing the concrete barriers on the sides, erecting sound barriers, replacing the temporary centre barrier, completing the retaining walls on the north side and digging out the trench. They'll probably be at it for the rest of the summer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1245  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 3:04 AM
mykl mykl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 475
It looks like they did a great job! a few hours late is a pretty good timeline for a project in Ottawa haha
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1246  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 3:10 AM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Road Engineer Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Côté Ouest de la Rivière des Outaouais
Posts: 8,683
I noticed one thing: Only 6 lanes? Not 8?
__________________
My Proposal of TCH Twinning in Northern Ontario
Disclaimer: Most of it is pure pie in the sky, so there's no need to be up in the arm about it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1247  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 4:49 AM
mykl mykl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I noticed one thing: Only 6 lanes? Not 8?
I see 8 lanes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1248  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 7:13 AM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
I see 8 lanes.
Same here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1249  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 12:25 PM
OTownandDown OTownandDown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I noticed one thing: Only 6 lanes? Not 8?
The entire thing is currently reduced by one lane. But surprisingly, this did not affect traffic this morning.

Also, travelling westbound, there's quite a big bump on the west side of the bridge. Car did a nice swoopy bounce on dismount.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1250  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:08 PM
Catenary Catenary is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
The entire thing is currently reduced by one lane. But surprisingly, this did not affect traffic this morning.

Also, travelling westbound, there's quite a big bump on the west side of the bridge. Car did a nice swoopy bounce on dismount.
Yeah, there's a lane closure in each direction to allow them to finish the concrete walls.

I opened the livestream this am, and the primary camera was still up, but the secondary camera was down. I couldn't figure out what it was focused on though, until I realized I was watching them remove the secondary camera, which was on a pole near the site trailer.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1251  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:45 PM
SidetrackedSue SidetrackedSue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 399
I know it was late but it provided 3 solid days of breakfast entertainment with my grandkids (I screen-shared my second display during our daily skype call.) Even this morning was entertaining while we watched the traffic whiz by on the completed bridge for a while.

I had originally heard the sliding in of the bridge was supposed to happen overnight (a tweet, I think by Jeff Leiper) but I'm glad for the delays since I had fun checking the progress through the day. It was an impressive job.

Given how good they have been at meeting their deadlines on past replacements, I'm looking forward to hearing what the unforeseen delay was (did they actually use the heavy equipment to nudge the bridge section back onto the rails?) I feel confident that there is a story of ingenuity and problem solving here and not poor planning or overly optimistic timelines.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1252  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 12:21 AM
PHrenetic PHrenetic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidetrackedSue View Post
...........

Given how good they have been at meeting their deadlines on past replacements, I'm looking forward to hearing what the unforeseen delay was (did they actually use the heavy equipment to nudge the bridge section back onto the rails?) I feel confident that there is a story of ingenuity and problem solving here and not poor planning or overly optimistic timelines.
Good Day.

So am I - they seemed to run into more pauses than they should have running the spans into place.

And yes, in the watching I did, I saw them using the excavator buckets at various corners rather frequently.
I believe that rather than the buckets actually pushing on the span corners (which would be asking for damage),
that they rather acted as in-position shims while the jacks were used to push the span just a little,
thus forcing an angle thrust until the span was properly aligned for progress again.
I would have to assume that the jack systems were not exactly paired-up perfectly on both sides.

Whether we actually hear about cause is an open question.
It could be regarded in some circles as confidential.

Still, it was fun. And it's dun.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1253  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 4:11 AM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Road Engineer Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Côté Ouest de la Rivière des Outaouais
Posts: 8,683
For anyone who's curious, after many studies, I've finally mapped out the route options for Highway 417 from Renfrew to North Bay.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=11qPd7-lLyG1jFj9N6y9ioaWMABkC1Mj0&usp=sharing
A big thank you for everyone who has supplied me with information.
__________________
My Proposal of TCH Twinning in Northern Ontario
Disclaimer: Most of it is pure pie in the sky, so there's no need to be up in the arm about it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1254  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 4:00 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Road Engineer Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Côté Ouest de la Rivière des Outaouais
Posts: 8,683
I drove on The Queensway over the weekend. M.T.O. may as well sign the entire stretch between the split and Woodroffe Avenue 80 kph instead having small pockets of 100 kph here and there. ._.
__________________
My Proposal of TCH Twinning in Northern Ontario
Disclaimer: Most of it is pure pie in the sky, so there's no need to be up in the arm about it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1255  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:21 PM
CityTech CityTech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,798
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I drove on The Queensway over the weekend. M.T.O. may as well sign the entire stretch between the split and Woodroffe Avenue 80 kph instead having small pockets of 100 kph here and there. ._.
It's even worse as there's 80 pockets around Innes Road and Bearbrook bridges.

From Anderson to Woodroffe there's 5 different 80 kph sections. It's insane.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1256  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 4:08 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
What's going on on the Queensway West (Woodroffe to Rochester)? I know they are widening it, but I feel like there's been no progress in months.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1257  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 4:53 PM
Catenary Catenary is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
What's going on on the Queensway West (Woodroffe to Rochester)? I know they are widening it, but I feel like there's been no progress in months.
They've been working on the median. The median concrete wall was finished a while back, and since then they've worked along putting in the bases for overhead lighting. I have seen paving equipment as well, so it looks like things are on track to wrap up before winter.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1258  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 5:10 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
They've been working on the median. The median concrete wall was finished a while back, and since then they've worked along putting in the bases for overhead lighting. I have seen paving equipment as well, so it looks like things are on track to wrap up before winter.
Thanks for the update.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1259  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 5:17 PM
TransitZilla TransitZilla is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
What's going on on the Queensway West (Woodroffe to Rochester)? I know they are widening it, but I feel like there's been no progress in months.
The median work (and the widening) is in the stretch from Maitland to Island Park.

A bit further east (Parkdale to Rochester I think) I believe they are replacing the noise barriers with new concrete ones. The old metal ones were rusting pretty badly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1260  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 5:23 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
The median work (and the widening) is in the stretch from Maitland to Island Park.

A bit further east (Parkdale to Rochester I think) I believe they are replacing the noise barriers with new concrete ones. The old metal ones were rusting pretty badly.
Thanks for that. Now apparently the left lane between Island Park and Rochester is closed. Does the MTO have a proper website with updates? I could not find one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:36 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.