HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2008 View Post
A new article out in the SABJ mentions that they are looking at two options for
120 Josephine St, one has no retail and the other has 3,000-10,000 square feet of retail. Most of the decision will be up to whether or not whoever finances will take on the risk of mixed use and if there is another outbreak that shuts things down again. That's pretty good news. I completely agree with the idea of a convenience store in the area. Many times I've wanted to grab a drink or snack to walk along the river but Larder (with very limited hours) is the only real option that isn't a restaurant.
Yep. When I was living at can plant, I would sometimes take a stroll over to the Valero across from the old Tacos and Tequila to get any convenience store merch.

A true bodega would be nice to have.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 9:41 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2008 View Post
A new article out in the SABJ mentions that they are looking at two options for
120 Josephine St, one has no retail and the other has 3,000-10,000 square feet of retail. Most of the decision will be up to whether or not whoever finances will take on the risk of mixed use and if there is another outbreak that shuts things down again. That's pretty good news. I completely agree with the idea of a convenience store in the area. Many times I've wanted to grab a drink or snack to walk along the river but Larder (with very limited hours) is the only real option that isn't a restaurant.
There's a CVS in the Mosaic building now.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 5:27 AM

[IMG]San Antonio Light Sign Installation by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Was driving down Broadway and notice they were putting up the sign. Had to grab a shot!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 5:11 PM

Thx for the photo Raul. I'm digging the sign.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 5:29 PM
JACKinBeantown

Looks spectacular!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 6:40 PM

I hoped they would reinstall the old sign, but it probably doesn't exist anymore. It was really spectacular.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 12:51 PM

That original sign is glorious! When was it taken down? Not sure if I'm imagining seeing that as a little kid.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
That original sign is glorious! When was it taken down? Not sure if I'm imagining seeing that as a little kid.
Oh about 25 years ago, I guess.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 4:52 PM

I'm sure the discussion was in here but I'm surprised that HDRC didn't try and get them to match the height from the previous sign. I'm sure cost was prohibitive but that would have been nice to get a closer match

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 1:05 AM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:28 PM

is the cenotaph moving or not? I don't get all the protest of moving it down from its spot. . The same people protesting the move are probably the same people yelling in city council meetings when there's a motion to expand a sidewalk to allow for better walk-ability.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
is the cenotaph moving or not? I don't get all the protest of moving it down from its spot. . The same people protesting the move are probably the same people yelling in city council meetings when there's a motion to expand a sidewalk to allow for better walk-ability.
According to this SABJ article, we could have an answer on 9/22:
https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton..._news_headline

"The Texas Historic Commission is expected to meet Sept. 22 to consider a permit application filed by the city of San Antonio in December for moving and restoring the Alamo Cenotaph.

Alamo Trust Inc. CEO Douglas McDonald, who is stepping down from his job at the end of the month to return to his family farm in Ohio, warns that the vote's outcome is crucial to advancing a roughly $450 million Alamo redevelopment plan that has been years in the making.

“It’s the gate that needs to be opened that allows the project to fully happen,” McDonald said.

The intent is to move the controversial monument south of the Alamo toward Commerce Street. If the commission signs off on the Cenotaph changes, McDonald expects that the larger Alamo redevelopment plan can be realized.

If the THC balks, he believes the plan is doomed."

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 8:55 PM

So if the Alamo Cenotaph gets moved, what is going to go in its place in the plaza?
If nothing significant, then just leave as it. Seems like a waste of money to move it. You can use that money to do other things in the plaza. So far I'm still not thrilled about the plaza at San Fernando Cathedral. Those water features are never working. Were 0-1 on plaza designs in my book! Were experts at riverwalks and creek walks.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
So if the Alamo Cenotaph gets moved, what is going to go in its place in the plaza?
If nothing significant, then just leave as it. Seems like a waste of money to move it. You can use that money to do other things in the plaza. So far I'm still not thrilled about the plaza at San Fernando Cathedral. Those water features are never working. Were 0-1 on plaza designs in my book! Were experts at riverwalks and creek walks.
I agree with you on the plaza. It is extremely blah and needs a total redesign. The light installation on the cathedral is great but that whole area just feels super stagnant. The same goes for Travis Park.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 3:18 AM

Shade Equity design competition imagines new shadows to help San Antonio stay cool

https://sanantonioreport.org/shade-e...nio-stay-cool/

When San Antonio eventually emerges from the coronavirus pandemic, three local entities want the city to be a healthier, more walkable, and shadier place.

Centro San Antonio, the American Institute of Architects San Antonio, and the office of Coun

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 11:33 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Shade Equity design competition imagines new shadows to help San Antonio stay cool

When San Antonio eventually emerges from the coronavirus pandemic, three local entities want the city to be a healthier, more walkable, and shadier place.

Centro San Antonio, the American Institute of Architects San Antonio, and the office of Coun
That's increasingly more important as the globe gets hotter and hotter.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 12:26 PM

I really like the large shaded structure that was submitted. I can't tell where they are proposing to put it though. Can anyone tell?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 1:23 PM

It is all academic. There are no plans to actually build these shade structures at the moment.

Last edited by kingkirbythe....; Sep 15, 2020 at 2:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 4:41 PM

Quote:

LOVE this idea!!! Excellent project for the downtown area and the tourists, and locals during the hot summer months!!! Great design as well!!!!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
It is all academic. There are no plans to actually build these shade structures at the moment.
I understand that but I was curious to the location in the overlay they did.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio