HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Anyway, a lot of you are really wringing your hands about tramways, and it shows you don't have a lot of good experiences with them. I'm willing to bet that most of you have a bad taste in your mouth from the TTC's offering, or some of the borderline white elephants in American cities. I always thought Minneapolis's was kind of bad, even though it shares more in common with the C-train than a tramway.
I'm definitely not one of them that complains about the TTC's streetcar system because I fully understand that the streetcars in Toronto address capacity needs rather than rapidity needs Can you just imagine how many buses would have to operate to handle the demand on these current streetcar routes today?

Quote:
But a well designed tramline is pretty quick.

A few keys to a good tram line:
1. Long blocks. milomilo mentioned this with respect to the C-Train. It's an intuitive point, but worth illustrating in contrast to what happens with TTC streetcars. They mostly run east-west, across the grain of the city's blocks. This increases potential points of conflict.
True. But is also worth nothing that the TTC streetcar system is over 100 years old and Toronto is honestly fortunate enough to have kept their streetcar system from when it was first implemented. Transit planning is way different now than it was 100 years ago. Plus when motorized vehicles came around, the streetcar system quickly lost its priority to private vehicles since those started trending for the next 100 years.

City planners were honestly designing cities for vehicles during the golden age of the private car. And it didn't help that North American media romanticized and catalyzed the idea of far-flung suburb living and owning a car either.

You kind of have to cut Toronto a little bit of slack on their original streetcar routes since it is older than the invention of the motorized vehicle and they weren't designing it thinking about it sharing the road with vehicles or other updated concepts like developing transit nodes and engineering for future connectivity.

Quote:
Another virtue of at-grade systems that people miss when they get worked up about point-to-point speed, is the speed of using the system. An at-grade tram is very accessible. Compared to grade-separated systems, it's much faster to get to the transit. The difference in Berlin, where the subways run just under the roads and don't have fare gates, isn't that pronounced. But somewhere like Kiev, where getting to the subway is a commute unto itself, you're often better off taking trams than joining the miners going to the subway.

Sprinting across town on a fast train is a lot less impressive when you tack on five minutes of escalator rides and waiting for people fumbling with their metro card at the ends.
That entirely depends on the system though. If your at-grade LRT system has stations in the median of the road then you still have to use those 5 minutes to wait for the crosswalk to signal you and you still have to wait for "people fumbling with their metro cards".

More and more Canadian transit systems are moving towards a card tapping technology that is easy to use like Vancouver and Winnipeg to name a few; these boarding and disembarking strategies are also commonly found worldwide as well. My point here is that you are ALWAYS going to get the dingbat who can't think 5 minutes ahead of themselves, who needs to take an extra second to hold everyone else up while they search for their metro card or whatever. Transit disgraces are found in all systems, not just on grade-separated rapid transit systems.

As for accessibility, Canada has been really good at developing stations in the last two decades (I will daringly say) that are able to accommodate people of all mobility capabilities by installing escalators and elevators. In fact IIRC there is a REM station being developed in Montreal that is said to be very deep and it is anticipated to be equipped with a faster set of elevators. The reality of grade-separated systems is that you, yourself, need to reach the platform's level most of the time. Would you rather take the 5 minutes to get to the train's platform or would you rather wait for a clean-up crew to swing by to remove a vehicle collision blocking the tracks?

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 10:17 PM

Update from Rail613 on Twitter.

This is Lincoln Fields station and area along the Confederation Line. Lincoln Fields will be a major transfer station between the south-west Algonquin College (future Barrhaven) branch and the Moodie (future Kanata) branch. Trains from both branches will head downtown during the day, but transfers will be required between the branches and from the Moodie spur late evenings and night.

They've started building the structure for the Moodie branch flyover.

https://twitter.com/rail613/status/1294272792804958219

Here's a rendering of the completed flyover.

https://www.otrainfans.ca/confederat...lincoln-fields

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 2:08 AM

Site of the future Gladstone Station, where blasting has been going on since June 10th. The trench in that are is being widened to double track.

https://twitter.com/deellisd/status/1294417314574737409

Carleton University Station, the only passing tracks/double platform station along the line when the O-Train was put into service back in 2001.

https://twitter.com/deellisd/status/1286824426865033216

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 9:24 PM

City of Ottawa summer 2020 Trillium project update. Images are huge when posted, so here's the link instead.

https://mailchi.mp/717b6b625db4/o-tr...2?e=a999a549a3

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 9:31 PM

City of Ottawa summer 2020 Confederation project update. Images are huge when posted, so here's the link instead.

https://mailchi.mp/84e62a001bcf/o-tr...0?e=a999a549a3

https://mailchi.mp/d329d43bb1eb/stag...8?e=a999a549a3

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 5:19 PM

Stage 2 construction update, west, east and south.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 6:50 PM
matt in the city

Nice update on the Ottawa LRT expansion. Is there a map that shows the Trillium line and where it will be double track? I assume there will still be some single track sections such as Dow's Lake tunnel.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattropolis View Post
Nice update on the Ottawa LRT expansion. Is there a map that shows the Trillium line and where it will be double track? I assume there will still be some single track sections such as Dow's Lake tunnel.
O-Train Fans has a detailed map showing double vs single track, tunnels, elevated sections, platforms (side vs centre) and track switches.

https://otrain.railfans.ca/system-map

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 8:57 PM
Community Guy

Valley Line SE - 102 Avenue - Finally starting to take actual shape.

Reminder:

Ped-LRT-LRT-Auto-Bike-Bike-Ped

https://twitter.com/newfangl3d/statu...82204783415298

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 9:59 PM

I drove the entire line today...its looking really good.

Sooo tired of seeing the construction tho.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 10:01 PM
Community Guy

<yr left until open... or there about.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 7:04 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 3:51 PM

Some News out in Vancouver...

Just so that this doesn't get lost in the shuffle...

Quote:
"The Broadway Subway means less congestion, better transit, more rental housing, thousands of high-paying construction jobs and will be an important weapon in our fight against climate change," Stewart said during the announcement.

Work has continued in recent months to prepare the busy Broadway corridor for the upcoming Broadway Subway project.

Multiple temporary lane closures were in effect last year for surveying work and trolley wire relocation took place throughout the summer, leading to additional closures and bus detours.

Construction on the $2.83-billion project – which will create six rapid transit stops between VCC-Clark and Arbutus – is expected to begin this fall. The line is expected to be in service by 2025.

The design and construction contract is valued at more than $1.72 billion.
CTV News

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:02 PM

The City of Ottawa has chosen its preferred route for the Barrhaven extension of the O-Train, along with the structure (elevated for much of the way).

Here are a few videos posted by the City:

Preliminary recommendations:

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gRM...ature=youtu.be

Baseline to Nepean Sportsplex:

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFf8...ature=youtu.be

Nepean Sportsplex to Barrhaven Town Centre, including maintenance facility:

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svww...ature=youtu.be

And a rendering of Tallwood station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Tricky section of Barrhaven LRT should run on elevated guideway, study says

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Sep 09, 2020 • Last Updated 48 minutes ago • 2 minute read

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-69f4b4fefe9f/

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 12:57 PM

Progress on Trillium Line and future Gladstone infill station, around early July (highway bridge has since been replaced and trench fully widened). It will be built behind the bridge in the foreground.

Platform level.

From Gladstone, looking north-east (note, buildings shown are a concept for Gladstone Village, a mixed-use neighborhood of affordable and market rate housing, French language public school and other).

https://otrain.railfans.ca/trillium-stations/gladstone

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 3:16 PM

^nice shot, although that looks like it was taken in early spring, not July.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
^nice shot, although that looks like it was taken in early spring, not July.
Seems you're correct. Far more outdated than I thought.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 6:08 PM
Community Guy

A major milestone for the Tawatinâ LRT bridge and Valley Line SE expansion.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...sion-1.5722020

The connection of the Tawatinâ Bridge this week marked a major step reached in Edmonton's LRT expansion.

On Thursday, TransEd, a consortium of companies constructing the line, announced the bridge spanning the north and south banks over the North Saskatchewan River had been connected. The southeast Valley Line is 13 kilometres connecting the Mill Woods neighbourhood to downtown Edmonton.

This $1.8-billion LRT line is expected to open in summer or fall 2021, six months later than the original projections for December 2020.

https://twitter.com/CityofEdmonton/s...95572846436352

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 7:59 PM
菠蘿油

Here's a couple of photos of the REM progress on the South Shore. This shows Du Quartier Station in June. There is already a lot of TOD under construction next to the station and when I passed by recently everything had already made a lot of progress over the summer. This is part of the first 3.5km of track that will begin testing operations soon. The South Shore branch is expected to open next year. Both photos are from rem.info.

These photos were taken over the past couple of days from the REM's livecam.

Édouard Montpetit – a very deep station that will link the century-old Mount Royal tunnel with the metro's Blue Line. This is slated to open in 2022.

Here's where the REM crosses the Lachine Canal. The elevated structure is super ugly (especially considering the canal is a national historic site) but I guess that's what you get when you're building on a tight schedule and limited budget.

Île-des-Soeurs (Nuns' Island) Station. It's part of the South Shore branch that will open next year. There is already a big TOD development on the northern tip of the island, as you can see, and the strip mall-style commercial area just behind this camera will likely be redeveloped as well.

Here's the West Island branch, which is expected to open in 2023. It gives you the idea of the elevated structure that runs alongside Highway 40. This is a very sprawly suburban part of the island but there's a lot of potential for densification around shopping malls like Fairview-Pointe-Claire, similar to what has happened along the SkyTrain line in Burnaby.

Here's a view of the new REM bridge building constructed next to the historic Deux-Montagnes commuter rail line over the Rivières des Prairies (aka the Back River). The old bridge may be converted for pedestrian/cyclist use but discussions between Laval and Montreal are still ongoing.

Here's a recent view of Canora Station being rebuilt. This is part of the old Deux-Montagnes line and, although that line offered decent rush-hour service, the REM will mean this part of Côte-des-Neiges and the Town of Mount Royal will have much more frequent access to downtown. TMR is very restrictive in terms of development but expect to see a lot more apartments built in the former industrial areas along the CPR tracks in the middle of the photo.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:02 PM
Community Guy

Churchill Station and 102 Avenue looking west.

https://twitter.com/JSJamato/status/1306023005475057665

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada